Amtrak reward points

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Soon I will have enough points to ride in one region with a standard sleeper. For you guys who have used your points to ride in sleepers in different zones or regions, take a look below. This is what I would like to do, but wanted to make sure it would work.

Toledo, Oh. and Orlando is considered one zone for bonus point redemption. I am looking at riding from Toledo, Oh to WAS on the Capitol limited in a std. sleeper and from WAS to Orlando again in a std. sleeper. I know the points are for one way travel within a region. So I am assuming that I can ride in std. sleepers on both trains for free one way. Am I correct? Or does Amtrak have a small worded footnote somewhere that states something to the effect that you can only ride in a sleeper on one train?

I just redeemed my Guest Rewards points for a trip from New Orleans to Sacramento via the City of New Orleans and the California Zephyr. I am in a standard sleeper on both trains, and they only deducted the points for one two zone trip from my account (~20,000 points, I think).

The real surprise was that the person traveling with me was totally included! He didn't even have to pay the rail fare.

I recently booked a one zone deluxe sleeper reward from Arizona to Glacier National Park. Two passengers, three trains, one 20,000 point reward. :)

Sunset Limited to the Coast Starlight to the Empire Builder, what do you suppose are the chances of making both of the connections? :unsure:

I'm going to inquire about getting standard sleeper accomodations for travel from ElPaso (Sunset Limited night #1) to Los Angeles. Then LA to PORTLAND (Coast Starlight night #2) and then PDX to Wolf Point (Empire Builder night # 3). As far as I can tell, that's getting the most out of your Guest Rewards Points in the Western Region. All travel is in one zone. I think it's within all the rules.

I'll let you all know what Amtrak says.

What is that? About 12 Meals?

They'll certainly issue you the 1 zone, 3 train tickets, but they won't let you book overnights so you can be sure of making the connections without using a seperate reward for each of the segments.

Sure, they "guarantee" the connections, they can bus you to head off the next train off at the pass, or put you up overnight and put you on the next days train, but if a sleeper isn't available the next day you're SOL. :(

I've got a Guest Rewards trip booked from Arizona to Glacier Park, and I've got a "Plan B", If by some miracle the Sunset Limited should depart El Paso somewhere near on time I'll board the train in Arizona, otherwise I've got refundable airline tickets and a hotel reservation in LA.

I did, however, decide not to risk the 1:05 minute connection at Portland and booked an overnight. (Yesterday's Coast Starlight arrived at PDX at 7:10, a little late for the Empire Builders 4:45 departure)

Hey, it's a vacation, I wanna enjoy the ride, not worry about if the train's on time. :)

They will bus out of Klamath Falls if the bus can make it to PDX in time for th connection. Usually it will, if not they will try to bus you the the builder in Wishram, Oregon or Pasco, WA. You would have to be pretty darn late not to be bustituted. Glad I'm stopping in PDX in June, then I don't miss going over the Cascades B)

I am doing a similar trip yet backwards, from Grand Forks to Glacier then to LA then Houston. What does Amtrak normally do for missed connections from the Starlight to the Sunset, since the next Sunset doesn't leave for another 48 hours. Will they bus me to catch up or what?

Chris

You would have to be awfully late on the Starlight since it arrives in the evening in LA and the Sunset leaves early in the morning which makes for about a six hour layover. If you were about that late, in the past Amtrak has bussed from Oxnard. Depending on the circumstances, they may divert you onto a San Joaquin in Sacramento or Oakland.

bmlock said:
You would have to be awfully late on the Starlight since it arrives in the evening in LA and the Sunset leaves early in the morning which makes for about a six hour layover. If you were about that late, in the past Amtrak has bussed from Oxnard. Depending on the circumstances, they may divert you onto a San Joaquin in Sacramento or Oakland.
Hmm I think the Sunset leaves in the evening, like around 9:55pm? The Sunset arrives westbound into LA at something like 6:40am, though.

The Sunset arrives westbound into LA at something like 6:40am, though.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathes deep* HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Guest said:
The Sunset arrives westbound into LA at something like 6:40am, though.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *breathes deep* HAHAHAHAHAHA. That is the funniest thing I have ever read.
Do pardon me, my dearest Guest from Omaha. I was quoting the scheduled time. I think we all know about this train's inability to adhere to that arrival time.

My apologies sir, that wasn't meant to be harsh, it was supossed to be funny.

Let's play another round of "Anthony is SO smart"

Where am I from?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It ain't Omaha!

Mystery Location said:
Let's play another round of "Anthony is SO smart"
Where am I from?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It ain't Omaha!
No, you're right, you're not connecting directly from Omaha. You're posting from (or through) a machine at RackShack/EV1.

I'm about ready to shut this thread. Stop the nonsense.

Okay. We like to play games, I see. That machine was an anonymous surfing proxy, which happens to be hosted at RackShack. :rolleyes:

:eek: Sorry! I must be catching my wife's dyslexia, because I read the schedule wrong. They have however used the bus from Oxnard depending on how late you are and the San Joaquin is also an option. A bus from Santa Barbara might be an option also, the last time I was there, there were thruway busses waiting, but I don't remember what for. Should of kept a journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back