Amtrak Routes in New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nolatron

Train Attendant
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to share your analysis with us.

It looks like the Army Corps of engineers MAY have the situation under control at a great sacrifice to rural Louisianans.

Opening the Morganza spillway up river is bound to alleviate much of the flood surge on the Mississippi river. The only concern might be the Bonnet Carre spillway that is emptying into Lake Ponchartrain. Do you know what rise in water levels of Lake Ponchartrain are being predicted by the Army C.O.E. and how much of a level rise might affect the Crescent? They say that the waters should reach New Orleans by Tuesday 5/17.Lets cross our fingers and hope that all will be OK.

They aren't expecting the Lake to rise at all, so the crescent and CONO won't be affected here.

The Bonnet Carre spillway pushes about 300,000cfs of water into the lake at full capacity, which then empties to the Gulf.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will (hopefully) be riding the Sunset Limited into New Orleans on June 10, hopefully this won't affect my travel plans.

My Stepfather and I will be riding the CONO to Chicago on Aug,27th. hopfully everything will be okay.

Last edited:
They aren't expecting the Lake to rise at all, so the crescent and CONO won't be affected here.
Isn't the lake somehow connected to the sea anyway, so it can't really rise?

What happened when Katharina struck was that the hurricane was pushing water back into the lake and so forcing it to rise. Uner normal conditions that doesn't happen.

Isn't the lake somehow connected to the sea anyway, so it can't really rise?

What happened when Katharina struck was that the hurricane was pushing water back into the lake and so forcing it to rise. Uner normal conditions that doesn't happen.
Thats a very good point. The people of Baton Rouge and New Orleans will probably be safe along with the Crescent and CONO routes as they enter Louisiana. The CONO will probably still be cut off north of there around Memphis but the SL will most likely be out for a while. The people that will bear the brunt of this will be the residents of the rural Louisiana back country and we can only pray for their safety and protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back