Amtrak says nothing owed to Portage, WI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From Portage, WI Daily Register, 12/14/04:

PORTAGE-When a bomb threat forced almost 290 Amtrak passenger to disboard in Portage this summer, the community provided medical service, transportation to John Muir Elementary School, law enforcement services and more. Some county officials say Amtrak promised to give reimbursement but never came through.
The story is here.

This community deserves the pittance compensation that they have requested. They endured these costs because of Amtrak; why shouldn't Amtrak have to pay up? While the money Amtrak owes the county for police and fire related services is questionable, the real question is how they can expect a private bus company like Riteway to call drivers in over the summer for free. When Amtrak charters buses they must pay the companies or the bus companies will not continue to provide services. Amtrak's stance is kind of bullying since I guess they figure "they won't need this little wrinky-dink bus company anymore," so they seem to be trying to wiggle out of paying up. Pay up, Amtrak, for the bus company which provided this service and continue debating the city/county expenses.

I guess it all depends on who ordered the buses. If the city decided to move everyone then it is their responsibility.

The person who called in the threats should be responsible for restitution both to the County and to Amtrak. However, I'd be willing to bet that the perpetrator has little or no money to do this. As such the county is going after the deeper pockets of Amtrak to recover some costs. This is not uncommon and you would be surprised to see how restitution is figured and to whom it is paid.

(From the news story): "Magliari also said Conwill is destitute and has not paid Amtrak any restitution." So Amtrak likely won't get enough out of the guy to buy a cup of coffee, since he will also probably have fines, court costs, the cost of his public defender, if any, and who knows what else, to pay. And in cases like this the order for restitution might as well be used for wallpaper, or maybe for the floor of your parakeet's cage, if you want it to actually be useful for something.

He'll probably also get hit up for the booking fee into the jail, and the cost of serving time. Yep, at least where I live they charge you to stay in the county jail.

jccollins said:
This community deserves the pittance compensation that they have requested.  They endured these costs because of Amtrak; why shouldn't Amtrak have to pay up?  .
Wrong! Portage endured these costs because of the a$$hole who made the fake bomb threat. Who's gonna charge him??

When Greyhound has a highway accident do they reimburse the EMS and police departments who respond to the scene? Whene an airliner goes down do they pay? I don't think so....

I do agree that Amtrak should have coordinated and paid for charter buses to move passengers onward. I believe that they normally do just that.

Good points, railman. I completely agree that the costs were all due to the person who made the threat and do question why the city would want reimbursement for providing police and fire services since that is their purpose, but someone (ideally the idiot that caused the mess) should pay the privately chartered bus company! :blink:

Back