Amtrak long term service cancellations and restorations (2022-2023H1)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone with the same issue, yes the train is running today. I wanted to make sure there would not be an issue with my ticket or reservation so I just called Amtrak. My requested callback came within ten minutes, and a pleasant agent assured me they had just “changed our coding” and there is no issue with my ticket. So, typical Amtrak technical incompetence. From the customer’s standpoint, there is a big difference between a change in coding, and a scheduling nightmare. But you have to call Amtrak either way, just to find out which it is.

So you should be OK to get out of Chicago? SE Michigan did get a respectable amount of snow over the 2 days. All 3 Wolverine round trips to Chicago were cancelled yesterday. I was actually supposed to be in Detroit on Wednesday and Thursday but cancelled my plans before the train cancelled.

So you should be OK to get out of Chicago? SE Michigan did get a respectable amount of snow over the 2 days. All 3 Wolverine round trips to Chicago were cancelled yesterday. I was actually supposed to be in Detroit on Wednesday and Thursday but cancelled my plans before the train cancelled.

i think the train ahead of us would have also gone through the worst of it, and they arrived three hours late today, still adequate for the connection. I hope we make it…

It really is a myth in the minds of ardent railfans that in today's penny pinching business environment trains do any better than any other mode.

Uh, well, not sure about the penny pinching part but I was just wondering about the direct effects of the weather. For snow to reach axles on trains, the snow (or its associated drifts) needs to reach at LEAST two feet. The storm of late last week didn't reach anything near that. Most of the line east of Chicago was covered with snow to a depth of about 10" - not enough to stop a train. So, why were the L.D. trains out of Chicago to the East cancelled?

I live close enough to the NS Chicago line that I could hear the freight trains really rolling throughout the "blizzard". So, the line was clearly open. So, the real question in my mind, is this really and truly a weather issue or is it a management problem?

Or is the real hold up is getting crews to their terminals? If so, then something else needs to be looked at.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain

Reactions: Ziv
Uh, well, not sure about the penny pinching part but I was just wondering about the direct effects of the weather. For snow to reach axles on trains, the snow (or its associated drifts) needs to reach at LEAST two feet. The storm of late last week didn't reach anything near that. Most of the line east of Chicago was covered with snow to a depth of about 10" - not enough to stop a train. So, why were the L.D. trains out of Chicago to the East cancelled?

I live close enough to the NS Chicago line that I could hear the freight trains really rolling throughout the "blizzard". So, the line was clearly open. So, the real question in my mind, is this really and truly a weather issue or is it a management problem?

Or is the real hold up is getting crews to their terminals? If so, then something else needs to be looked at.

Regards,
Fred M. Cain
Ice, wind, trees falling on to tracks. Plus road conditions should a relief crew need to get to a train, assuming there’s a relief crew available.

Last edited:

Regards,
Fred M. Cain
My epic absolute worst Amtrak delay was an epic 10 hours late on the Capitol Limited from Chicago to Washington in February 2007. The problem wasn't the amount of snow in that winter storm, there was hardly any. The problem was ice and freezing rain, which fouled switches and stranded almost every NS freight train between Chicago and Toledo, and maybe further east. So many train crews timed out all at once that there weren't any relief crews available. Thus, the trains were just stuck and, of course, blocked the passage of the Capitol. We ended up leaving 2 hours late, got stuck for a long time around Gary. Then they routed us through Michigan in order to bypass all the stranded freight trains. We didn't get into Toledo until 7 or 8 in the morning. Only trip I've been on where I was served Amstew.

So, why were the L.D. trains out of Chicago to the East cancelled?

Oh, it's a management problem. (Not clear whether it's 100% Amtrak management. NS and CSX management may also be at fault for undermaintenance.)

I don't know. Could be.

Reactions: Ziv
FWIW, my train #449 last Friday from BOS to CHI did go through. We were pretty much on-time all the way, with minor delays that we made up easily, till 25 miles outside CHI. It took us over two hours to go that last 25 miles due to frozen switches. The weather was crisp and clear at the time. The problem was that the snow had fallen wet, and then froze up. I still had enough time to go out and get lunch before my CZ connection.

I was surprised that the freezing rain in western MA did not slow us down. Text and photos to follow in a trip report.

Last edited:
I got another email from Amtrak about my reservation being updated for March 5. Nothing has changed; I’m still going from Tampa to Philadelphia on 92. What was this about?

has anyone heard of cancellations of the EB for the next few days? there was a major derailment on the Staples Sub in MN. Both mains blocked.

I'm scheduled to depart MSP on 8/28 tomorrow morning at 8:00 eastbound for Chicago. SelectPlus agent indicated 8/28 would depart MSP tomorrow morning, as a train

Does anyone have any info as to the exact location of the derailment?

Near Detroit Lakes.

The EB is not operating on Thursdays and Fridays per the 5 day schedule. So, they're not cancelled due to the derailment.

That’s not what the email I have says but okay.

The email from my employer that states the trains were annulled today in the last derailment update.
For Amtrak trains that would only apply to the trains that were already out on the rails. The 8 that was due through that area detoured. They provided a bus for the ?Fargo? passengers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back