Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation:: Once the Chargers are approved for revenue service there may be a period where a train will have both a charger and a P-42 on the train to protect for loco failures ?. Might even see the trains with loco on each end ? No matter what day to day service may show problems. Plus if they start this winter season any snow problems can be mitigated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Besides IDX 4604, haven't some of the Midwest bound Chargers been moved to Chicago after completing their 500 mile testing at the Pueblo facility?

The question is when will the first batch of the Midwest Chargers be ready to start revenue service? Have not read any news on that.
4604 is the only Charger I've seen come through on the California Zephyr.

CDTX 2101 and 2102 came into Oakland yard yesterday

I don't believe there is a speed issue with the Horizons.
Yeah. There shouldn't be. They are good for 125mph.
Thanks! I feel better already. :)

So the big problem from the bi-level delays is the capacity crunch. Those cars will carry about 30% more riders than the Horizons, and the added equipment will allow one or two or three more frequencies. Not to mention that new cars can attract and hold more riders.

I'm counting on this route to be Exhibit A in arguing to save Amtrak and invest in more infrastructure before the haters in Congress can doom it.

With faster schedules, new stations, and new locomotives, the Lincoln service should rebound from the 549,000 riders in FY 2016 to at least the 633,000 that Amtrak had budgeted for the year. In fact, it should quickly rebound to more than 700,000 riders, which iirc was the level before the construction on the upgrades began. That work ruined the OTP and caused many bustitutions over the past few years.

It will get back to normal, get to better than the old normal. When the new higher capacity Nippon Sharyo bi-level cars finally arrive, ridership in the following fiscal years should near 1,000,000.

Lincoln service isn't the only one, but is the most conspicuous of the Stimulus projects. The others are mainly Cascades Seattle-Portland, Wolverines Chicago-Kalamazoo-Ann Arbor-Detroit, and the Piedmont route Raleigh-Charlotte. All will kick in during 2017.

When Amtrak can boast added capacity, faster schedules, increasing ridership, rising revenues, lower operating deficits, better OTP, etc., that should make it not a good time to slash away at the system. But we'll see.

Player: Team:

2101 Athletics

2102 Athletics

4601 Back to minor league, previously Rockies

4602 Back to minor league, previously Rockies

4603 Trading to Rockies now

4604 Orioles

4605 Rockies

4606 Rockies

4607 Trading to Rockies now

4608 Rockies

4609 Rockies

4610 Rockies

4611 Mariners

Update your scorecards accordingly

2101 Athletics

2102 Athletics

4604 Orioles

4605 Rockies

4606 Rockies

4608 Rockies

4609 Rockies

4610 Rockies

4611 Mariners

Umm.....anyone care to translate?

I assume 'Rockies' refers to Pueblo (Colorado has mountains), but I'm at a loss for some.

2101 Athletics

2102 Athletics

4604 Orioles

4605 Rockies

4606 Rockies

4608 Rockies

4609 Rockies

4610 Rockies

4611 Mariners

I assume 'Rockies' refers to Pueblo (Colorado has mountains), but I'm at a loss for some.
Athletics - Oakland

Minor League I take to be Siemens

Orioles - MARC

Mariners - WSDOT

If people want a detailed list as such it needs to be somewhat encrypted. As Céline Dion would put it, "that's the way it is"
Besides IDX 4604, haven't some of the Midwest bound Chargers been moved to Chicago after completing their 500 mile testing at the Pueblo facility?
Nope, none with the Cubs or White Sox

Big news here is that some of the ones intended for California have been manufactured. I thought they'd make all the Midwest ones first, based on ARRA money rules, but apparently not. I can't remember how much of the money for each state's order had the ARRA deadline of 2017.

Lincoln service isn't the only one, but is the most conspicuous of the Stimulus projects.
I expect Lincoln Service to have continued construction disruptions, thank you IDOT for ass-backwards planning.

The others are mainly Cascades Seattle-Portland
Timing is working out nicely for these: the entire suite of upgrade projects, regardless of funding source, will come into service in 2017. 2018 should see a boom in riders *and* lower operating costs...

Wolverines Chicago-Kalamazoo-Ann Arbor-Detroit
Likewise, the full suite of planned speed improvements should be finished here by the end of 2017. Also, QLine (M-1 rail) will have opened. We should see a solid rise in passengers, although the continuing deterioration of Michigan's economy and loss of population will probably counteract that somewhat.
(Though the bottlenecks from Chicago to Detroit, across CN in Battle Creek, and on CN from just south of Detroit to Pontiac will still create unreliability.)

and the Piedmont route Raleigh-Charlotte. All will kick in during 2017.
The Piedmont improvements seem to be mostly done already. Raleigh Union Station should open late 2017, which will definitely help there.
Charlotte unfortunately lost out on the money and will have to wait some years to move its train station to downtown, which is still planned. With the under-construction streetcar extention, when it eventually does move downtown it'll be connected to the local urban rail system, though. So that's an improvement we can expect in the future (2020 or 2022 maybe?) -- when the station finally *does* move it should have a real boom in ridership thanks to the connectivity.

These aren't the only routes which should see increased ridership in 2018.

Over here on the Empire Corridor, the improvements to Albany-Rensselaer are almost finished, Niagara Falls has actually opened, the Albany-Schenectady double-tracking should be done next year, Rochester should open next year, but Schenectady is delayed. Schenectady has been split into two contracts. The plan is to open a temporary station before the end of 2016. The first contract will then do the heavy work on putting in a new high-level platform, elevator shaft, drainage, etc. now (along with asbestos and lead removal and demolition of the existing building), worrying about the new station building later.

Springfield, MA Union Station building should open in 2017, platform at an unknown date -- hopefully in 2018, since they're bidding now. The Hartford Line should also open in 2018, with Berlin, Meriden, and Wallingford stations opening in 2017.

Looks like Florida Rail Passenger Coalition is talking to AAF to have their next meeting in the Miami Central building, with a visit to the new train set possibly thrown in. This should be sometime early next year, and something to look forward to for use down here in Florida.

Crew familiarization with the new equipment apparently has already started in Palm Beach shops of AAF.

Looks like Florida Rail Passenger Coalition is talking to AAF to have their next meeting in the Miami Central building, with a visit to the new train set possibly thrown in. This should be sometime early next year, and something to look forward to for use down here in Florida.
Is the building going to be sufficiently finished by then to be able to host a meeting?

Big news here is that some of the ones intended for California have been manufactured. I thought they'd make all the Midwest ones first, based on ARRA money rules, but apparently not. I can't remember how much of the money for each state's order had the ARRA deadline of 2017.
Some of the equipment purchase funding for CA is ARRA stimulus money, so the deadline presumably applies to a portion of their Charger deliveries as well. Same goes for the corridor bi-level cars, but how the FRA and states are getting around the deadline for the bi-levels is a different thread topic.

So the Midwest Chargers are starting to pile up at the Pueblo facility. Checking the minutes of recent NGEC executive committee meetings, it says after noting 4608 & 4609 have been shipped to Pueblo for 500 mile burn-in testing: "The locomotives will next ship to Chicago, when IDOT and Amtrak are ready." So IDOT and Amtrak are not yet ready to take delivery of the Chargers. Waiting on building and equipping of a maintenance facility, training of maintenance crews, allocating storage tracks and space, or contractual & liability agreements not signed off on yet?

Is the building going to be sufficiently finished by then to be able to host a meeting?
Our contact at AAF says so. I suppose at least some parts will have already obtained certificate of occupancy by then, even if the whole thing is not done.

"The locomotives will next ship to Chicago, when IDOT and Amtrak are ready." So IDOT and Amtrak are not yet ready to take delivery of the Chargers. Waiting on building and equipping of a maintenance facility, training of maintenance crews, allocating storage tracks and space, or contractual & liability agreements not signed off on yet?
The Chargers to CHI cannot happen soon enough. Once they free up some P-42s then maybe LD routes can become more schedule reliable ?

The 4604 has departed Martins and is currently sitting in WAS. There was a great picture of the three classes of diesels (that was sent to me privately) in the facility. Perhaps it will appear on Facebook and someone can post it.

Ryan, this is your moment to shine. Hopefully, it will be on 30 track when you arrive. Otherwise, it will be in Ivy City. Get a picture while you can.

The 4604 has departed Martins and is currently sitting in WAS. There was a great picture of the three classes of diesels (that was sent to me privately) in the facility. Perhaps it will appear on Facebook and someone can post it.
That sounds like an awesome shot.

Ryan, this is your moment to shine. Hopefully, it will be on 30 track when you arrive. Otherwise, it will be in Ivy City. Get a picture while you can.
im-working-on-it.jpg

Is this the picture? Posted by GP on FB's NEC FB group

15542067_1806969062854195_5671194202571581236_n.jpg

The Charger locomotive was the 3rd loco in a Superliner consist at Ivy City today, as I saw from train 91. The arriving 30 was in the station, so I assume it was the consist of 29 (21).

Also, regarding Raleigh Union Station construction, a sign in the current station's waiting area stated that the opening is planned for early 2018.

The Charger locomotive was the 3rd loco in a Superliner consist at Ivy City today, as I saw from train 91. The arriving 30 was in the station, so I assume it was the consist of 29 (21).

Also, regarding Raleigh Union Station construction, a sign in the current station's waiting area stated that the opening is planned for early 2018.
Yep. I saw that sign and several postrs on some details of the new station when I was in Raleigh a couple of months back on a random trip for a day to Raleigh from Kissimmee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back