Amtrak Staff members on AU?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTANut

Service Attendant
Does anyone here on the forum work for Amtrak, if you are comfortable saying so?

I know there are former Amtak employees on this site, and I would assume some current ones. Can't verify that though

There are current Amtrak employees who are AU members, but they may not be willing to identify themselves.

I agree, employees have gotten into big trouble for their Social Media Posts @ many jobs.

I guess that doesn’t apply to Amtrak employees and social media. I have half a dozen on my Facebook friends list and most are active. One of them told me they cannot do anything on their phones at work, however, except if it’s work related.

Out of curiosity, when traveling on Amtrak and talking with the crew members do any of you mention (promote) the Amtrak Unlimited website?

I've not promoted AU to my crew member friends because they're all aware about it because of a mutual friend who is a member here has already told them about it. Most of my promotion is if I make a new friend who is a fellow passenger, I'll tell them about AU.

I guess that doesn’t apply to Amtrak employees and social media. I have half a dozen on my Facebook friends list and most are active. One of them told me they cannot do anything on their phones at work, however, except if it’s work related.
Actually that isn't true. Employees have been disciplined about statements made on social media (primarily Facebook).

I worked for Amtrak in the past, for 15 years, among several other transportation companies over a 49 year period.
AU didn't exist, when I worked there, but if it did, I would have been careful about posting.
When I worked for American Airlines, we were warned, and reminded (and even had to do periodic online 'confidentiality lessons' on SABRE), about not disclosing Company internal information...

I worked for Amtrak in the past, for 15 years, among several other transportation companies over a 49 year period.
AU didn't exist, when I worked there, but if it did, I would have been careful about posting.
When I worked for American Airlines, we were warned, and reminded (and even had to do periodic online 'confidentiality lessons' on SABRE), about not disclosing Company internal information...

And I'm sure AA and the airlines closely monitor the vlogs and blogs by their crews who are posting them as well.

Almost all. No, make that all, large companies have fairly well defined social media policies that are communicated to employees. Generally speaking, the risk of commenting or supplying inside info is not worth the risk of being outed. Obviously, it's easy enough to cloak one's identity but it generally stops employees from posting on their public social media channels.

At the high tech large companies that I worked for the consequence of posting proprietary info on social media was summary dismissal, consisting of being walked out the door by a company security person. At one company no time was given even to pick up your stuff from the office. That was boxed by the company and shipped out to the fired employee later.

So in short, you just did not do it if you valued your job and salary. ;)

Amtrak has generally been way more lax than that. Parts of Amtrak still leak like the sieve.

Last edited:
At the high tech large companies that I worked for the consequence of posting proprietary info on social media was summary dismissal, consisting of being walked out the door by a company security person. At one company no time was given even to pick up your stuff from the office. That was boxed by the company and shipped out to the fired employee later.

So in short, you just did not do it if you valued your job and salary. ;)

Amtrak has generally been way more lax than that. Parts of Amtrak still leak like the sieve.

Amtrak has been cracking down on some bits of it from what I've been hearing. They started with private car owners in Amtrak yards like Chicago.

Back