Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carknocker51

Train Attendant
I'm ending a loop train trip in Cincinnati,but I've been told the station isn't in the rebuilt Cinnci Union station[it's now a Museum?]If this is so , than where is it?duhhhh... :blink:

Car knocker,

It is in the same building as the museum. The museum is housed in the structure that was once a much grander train station in its heyday. Amtrak moved out of it for a while, but returned about ten years ago and just occupies a small portion of it.

Ahhh.. thank you for your help... someone who lived in Ohio had said it wasn't there,but I guess they havn;t taken the train in the last ten years...now I can have a car left there for me to use..,suppose to arrive at about 3:00am , but one never knows.../ Does anyone know what condition car # 4810 [on the Lake Shore]and car # 5100 [on the Cardinal] are in? I have standard room #1 in car 4810 & standard room #5 in car # 5100.This is a tuff one,but you guys are good!

carknocker51 said:
Does anyone know what condition  car # 4810 [on the Lake Shore]and car # 5100 [on the Cardinal] are in? I have standard room #1 in car 4810 & standard room #5 in car # 5100.This is a tuff one,but you guys are good!
Carknocker,

If I understand your question correctly, then there is no way to answer that question. The car number that's listed on your tickets is what might be called a Train-Specific Number (TSN). This is a number that's assigned to the car only for that day on that particular train.

The car number that you have on your tickets will show up on a variable sign next to the door of the car. The car that has #4810 in your train would most likely be numbered #4910 when it returns to Chicago the next day. The first two digits in the number are the Train number, the next two digits represent the car's position within the consist.

It's not what would be considered the car's inventory number. The actual inventory numbers are five digits. Even if you had those numbers it would be almost impossible to predict the car's condition, and Amtrak won't know what cars will be used until the day before at the earliest.

Both cars will however be Viewliner sleepers, which are the newest sleeper cars in Amtrak's fleet. I think that you should find them acceptable, as long as you realize that you are not checking into the Ritz. :)

viewliner sleepers will be plenty good,& I like to move around, meet people & have some fun to....Thanks :D

carknocker51 said:
viewliner sleepers will be plenty good,& I like to move around, meet people & have some fun to....Thanks :D
And with free meals in the diner on both trains, plus a lounge/cafe car you should have plenty of places and time to interact. :) Not to mention just enjoying the scenery outside the window.

Union Terminal is still there and you get to walk through the magnificent rotunda on the way out. There is a photo of it on a post I made a couple of months ago. The station is about five minutes from downtown, not in such a nice area right next to I-75. It's mostly industial but with a giant "front yard" and parking lot there is nothing exactly around it. There should be a cab though. Spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back