Amtrak telephone numbers/issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed that a very few Amtrak stations will list their phone number. Many a time, if you go to the station website, they will list the "800-USA-RAIL" number but no station number. The Amtrak Union Station, in Portland, OR, does have a listed phone number. A while back, I tried to call the Portland station but all I got was a ringing tone, with no one picking up the phone. I was trying to find out if Amtrak has a good connection history for westbound Empire Builder passenger making connections with the southbound Coast Starlight.

I think it would be especially helpful if small town Amtrak depots would take phone calls. Questions concerning nearby parking facilities, close-by restaurant availability, lodging near the train depot, access to rental cars, Wi-Fi availability, whether or not the station is staffed, and if the depot has checked baggage service. Julie isn't able to answer such detailed questions, much of the time

I noticed that a very few Amtrak stations will list their phone number. Many a time, if you go to the station website, they will list the "800-USA-RAIL" number but no station number. The Amtrak Union Station, in Portland, OR, does have a listed phone number. A while back, I tried to call the Portland station but all I got was a ringing tone, with no one picking up the phone. I was trying to find out if Amtrak has a good connection history for westbound Empire Builder passenger making connections with the southbound Coast Starlight.

I think it would be especially helpful if small town Amtrak depots would take phone calls. Questions concerning nearby parking facilities, close-by restaurant availability, lodging near the train depot, access to rental cars, Wi-Fi availability, whether or not the station is staffed, and if the depot has checked baggage service. Julie isn't able to answer such detailed questions, much of the time
I agree with you. I believe many corporations today simply don’t want you to speak to any employees directly, other than those dedicated solely for that purpose, and specifically trained to answer only what is “in the script”.
They do this to insure uniform responses that follow the corporate line. Secondly, they don’t wish to spend any more on personnel than they deem necessary, and while some station agents have plenty of time, at times, they don’t want customers to be expecting this any time they call….

Yes, I can see that excessive time on the phone could be a problem for station clerks and attendants. It could interfere with their normal work duties.

Although I absolutely hate phone trees, it might provide useful information if provided by a local Amtrak station or depot. "Press 1 for station services and station amenities". "Press 4 for nearby transportation sources or car rental locations", etc. They would have to choose information that would actually be useful to station patrons. Too many phone trees don't give you any really useful info or answer practical questions. Maybe it would work, I don't know.

There's no need to be calling stations about things like checked baggage and staffed hours; that's all on the website. It also tells whether parking is available, although that info could be more complete.

As for things like restaurant & lodging recommendations, I can understand why Amtrak management wouldn't want their station agents spending time on the phone chit-chatting about such. That may be why they stopped publishing the numbers in the first place.

And wifi? I think you'll be pretty safe assuming it's not available.

There's no need to be calling stations about things like checked baggage and staffed hours; that's all on the website. It also tells whether parking is available, although that info could be more complete.

As for things like restaurant & lodging recommendations, I can understand why Amtrak management wouldn't want their station agents spending time on the phone chit-chatting about such. That may be why they stopped publishing the numbers in the first place.

And wifi? I think you'll be pretty safe assuming it's not available.

I agree for the most part. But in some cases, the station website doesn't always give you information you would like to know. For example, a few years ago I was thinking of boarding the Empire Builder in Vancouver, WA. I wanted to know if they would check baggage at the Vancouver station. I couldn't tell from the station website. I had to call the Amtrak "800" number and ask for a live person. I found out that, at that time, the Vancouver station didn't check baggage for the Empire Builder although it did for the Coast Starlight. Also, greater information about parking lots and safety issues around station parking could be useful.

I agree for the most part. But in some cases, the station website doesn't always give you information you would like to know. For example, a few years ago I was thinking of boarding the Empire Builder in Vancouver, WA. I wanted to know if they would check baggage at the Vancouver station. I couldn't tell from the station website. I had to call the Amtrak "800" number and ask for a live person. I found out that, at that time, the Vancouver station didn't check baggage for the Empire Builder although it did for the Coast Starlight. Also, greater information about parking lots and safety issues around station parking could be useful.
Yeah the Vancouver station has weird hours. Closes right before the EB is due to arrive.

This thread picked my curiosity about my former work location, Denver Union Sation.
We used to have published at one time, in addition to the national toll-free number, our local ticket office, as well as baggage room/express office, and an updated recorded train stutus number.
I was surprised to hear they still use the latter…303-534-2812.
I will not reveal the other, now private numbers.😉

Back