Amtrak To Increase Acela Service NY to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
Here's the Amtrak press release that goes along with Bill's story.

Amtrak will add four weekday Acela Express trains between New York, Philadelphia and Washington starting Monday, April 26, the railroad announced today.  The four trains - two in each direction - will bring to 30 the number of weekday Acela trains south of New York.  
The new northbound Acelas will depart Washington at 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., resulting in departures every hour on the hour from 5 a.m. through 8 p.m., with only the 10 a.m. departure using Metroliner equipment.

Southbound from New York, the new Acelas will depart at 12 noon and 2:00 p.m., resulting in hourly departures from 6 a.m. through 9 p.m., with only the 6 p.m. departure using Metroliner equipment.

The additional departures reflect the improving reliability of the high-speed trainsets, which had been operating on a reduced schedule to allow for maintenance work.  The new schedule calls for 15 trainsets to be in revenue service on a typical weekday, up from 14 today.

In addition to the four new weekday trains, Amtrak will double the number of Acela departures on Sundays, responding to increasing customer demand for the premium service for leisure trips.  Starting Sunday, May 2, northbound Acela departures from Washington will be offered at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.  Southbound departures from New York will be offered at 9:00 a.m., 12 noon, 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.  

The additional departures are part of a broader timetable change, which takes effect April 26.  Passengers may obtain updated schedule information online at www.amtrak.com, or by picking up a copy of the new timetable at an Amtrak station, starting April 16.

Acela fares between Washington and New York range from $126 to $157 - significantly less than walk-up fares for competing air shuttle services.  Tickets are fully refundable or changeable at anytime, without penalty.

Between Philadelphia and Washington, fares range from $92 to $115, and between Philadelphia and New York, fares range from $81 to $102.

Passengers taking two roundtrips between select Acela city-pairs before April 15 are eligible to receive a free roundtrip from Amtrak Guest Rewards, the railroad's frequent traveler program.  Additional details and enrollment are available online at www.amtrakguestrewards.com.

Each Acela trainset consists of six passenger cars: four business class coaches (one of which is a designated Quiet Car®), a first class coach, and a bistro-style café car featuring draft beer service.  Power outlets and conference tables are available throughout the train, enabling business travelers to stay productive en route.
You can view the full press release here.

A second & similar press release from Amtrak.

Amtrak will add four weekday Acela Express trains between New York, Philadelphia and Washington starting Monday, April 26, the railroad announced today.  The four trains - two in each direction - will bring to 30 the number of weekday Acela trains south of New York.  
The new southbound Acelas will depart New York at 12 noon and 2:00 p.m., resulting in hourly departures from 6:00 a.m. through 9:00 p.m., with only the 6 p.m. departure using Metroliner equipment.

Northbound from Washington, the new Acelas will depart at 11:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m., resulting in departures every hour on the hour from 5 a.m. through 8 p.m., with only the 10 a.m. departure using Metroliner equipment.

The additional departures reflect the improving reliability of the high-speed trainsets, which had been operating on a reduced schedule to allow for maintenance work.  The new schedule calls for 15 trainsets to be in revenue service on a typical weekday, up from 14 today.

In addition to the four new weekday trains, Amtrak will double the number of southbound Acela departures on Sundays, responding to increasing customer demand for the premium service for leisure trips.  Starting Sunday, May 2, southbound departures from New York will be offered at 9:00 a.m., 12 noon, 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m.  Northbound Acela departures from Washington will be offered at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., 1:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m., 5:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.  

Between New York and Boston, Amtrak will add a fourth Acela roundtrip on Sundays, with the new northbound train departing New York at 2:03 p.m. and the new southbound train departing Boston at 3:00 p.m.

The additional Acela departures are part of a broader timetable change, which takes effect April 26.  Passengers may obtain updated schedule information online at www.amtrak.com, or by picking up a copy of the new timetable at an Amtrak station, starting April 16.

Business class Acela fares between New York and Boston are always $99 or less every day, and first class service is available for an additional charge of $50.  

Between Washington and New York, fares range from $126 to $157 - significantly less than walk-up fares for competing air shuttle services.  

As always, business class tickets on Acela are fully refundable or changeable at anytime, without penalty.

Passengers taking two roundtrips between select Acela city-pairs before April 15 are eligible to receive a free roundtrip from Amtrak Guest Rewards, the railroad's frequent traveler program.  Additional details and enrollment are available online at www.amtrakguestrewards.com.
This press release can be found here.

battalion51 said:
I know if I had to business on the NEC Acela would always be my first choice.
It's certainly my first choice. I've racked up quite a few miles on those trains, not to mention quite a few Guest Rewards points. :)

Steve4031 said:
I'm gonna try to ride those express services this summer.
Let me know if you come this way, maybe we can do a mini-fest in NY along with a ride on an Acela.

I think I might try Acela too this summer, a little round trip in the 150 MPH area, maybe Boston to New Haven and back or something. Or try a Regional in one direction and Express in the other. I would be pretty pumped just riding an Amfleet train at 125 MPH!! The fastest Ive been on a train would probably be around 100 MPH on the short HSR segment west of Schnectady, NY on the LSL.

Its good to hear the Acela has most of its problems ironed out and more departures are now being offered! More flexible for the busines traveler or leasure traveler.

It's certainly good news. :D

I also am supposed to get a trip on the Acela this summer, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but at my age you never know. I'd probably do a trip to Washington or Boston, and I guess depending on how many of us, either one regional, one Acela (maybe), or two Acela's.

Why dose amtrak use metroliner equipment on those two runs? Do they actually mark on the schedule as an acela even if it is using amcans?

engine999 said:
Why dose amtrak use metroliner equipment on those two runs? Do they actually mark on the schedule as an acela even if it is using amcans?
Amtrak uses Metroliner equipment due to the problems with the Acela fleet. The fact that it's now down to two runs with Metroliner equipment is an improvement.

To answer your second question, Amtrak does not list the Metroliner runs as Acela Express trains. They are listed as Metroliners. The price to ride them is less than the Acela trains, but more expensive than the slower regionals.

The Metroliners make less stops than a regional and basically are only a few minutes slower than the Acela Express trains. Additionally the Metroliners still offer First Class service. Plus those Amcan's as you called them are still probably in the best condition of all the Amcan's simply because for years Amtrak took care of those cars first, since they were the pride of the fleet.

Never call Metroliner pride of the fleet. The pride and joy of the railroad has always been Auto Train.

AlanB said:
Steve4031 said:
I'm gonna try to ride those express services this summer.
Let me know if you come this way, maybe we can do a mini-fest in NY along with a ride on an Acela.
I'm thinking about something like that. My girlfriend's relative lives in Piscataway, NJ, and she is thinking about going there. If so, I will encourage her to have a "girls day out" so i can have a "man's day out" on the corridor. :D

I will keep you posted.

battalion51 said:
Never call Metroliner pride of the fleet. The pride and joy of the railroad has always been Auto Train.
DITTO!!!!!!!!! :D

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
battalion51 said:
DITTO!!!!!!!!! :D
Guys, I hate to disapoint you, but the Metroliner was indeed the pride of the fleet at least as far as management was concerned. The Metroliner was for years the one train that at least covered it's operational costs, not including the corridor. Maybe the crews felt differently, but management believed in that train.

Businessmen rode that train and Amtrak put its money into the equipment for that train. Plus this train has run throughout Amtrak's lifetime, whereas the Auto Train didn't start until 1983. So for 11 years the Metroliner was the undisputed king. Then even after the Auto Train started, it has undergone equipment changes. The Metroliner, other than motive power has basically remained consistant. So the Auto Train could not be considered the pride of the fleet, at least for the first 20 years of Amtrak history.

Even now, all factors considered the remaining Metroliners still earn their keep. Plus they came to the rescue of their vaunted sister train the Acela, which was supposed to have replaced the Metroliner, and picked up the slack when Acela fell apart.

Finally I'd take a first class Metroliner seat any day, before I'd take a Superliner seat. Maybe a Business class seat doesn't compare, but first class rules.

Then there was the Coast Starlight, which for a several years was definately more in favor than the Auto Train. So the AT, at least IMHO, over the course of Amtrak histoy has not been the pride & joy of Amtrak.

Despite the wording of the press release, there will still be four southbound and two northbound weekday Metroliners. And, when an Acela set replaces a Metroliner, there is a net loss of seats since the 302 seat Acela has less capacity than the either a six or seven car Metroliner consist.

And as for “pride of the fleet”, the fact is that Amtrak has always operated as two (or more) companies. There is the “corridor” and there is everything else. For the corridor, Metroliner has been the success story from day one. It was a high-speed, reliable operation charging and getting premium fares and attracting business travel. It was the “power train” in the NEC. Between New York and Washington, Acela has simply taken over that role (except for the reliable aspect where Acela continues perform miserably).

As for long distance trains, Auto Train is the success story and all other LD trains pale in comparison. Filling a unique transportation role, Auto Train has the benefit of a short, overnight trip length (verses a rotten auto trip) and manageable operational requirements. The additional revenue from hauling vehicles (which do not eat, need bathrooms, water, bedding, heat and AC, or attendants) is what makes the train work financially. The premium services provided on Auto Train are largely carryovers from the original private Auto Train (even the name) and are probably required to meet the needs of a very demanding clientele (retired snowbirds). I would agree that Auto Train is the flagship of the long distance fleet, but it is a service that would probably not work nearly as well (or at all) in any other market.

You are correct Auto Train probably would not work in many, if any other markets. The only concievable way the Auto Train would work better than it already does is if there were extension north toward Philly, or south to the West Palm area. Other than that there really is no other market with demands like the Northeast-Florida corridor, the only other possible canidate is a Northeast (Philly) to Chicago Auto Train. Long live the pride and joy!

battalion51 said:
You are correct Auto Train probably would not work in many, if any other markets. The only concievable way the Auto Train would work better than it already does is if there were extension north toward Philly, or south to the West Palm area. Other than that there really is no other market with demands like the Northeast-Florida corridor, the only other possible canidate is a Northeast (Philly) to Chicago Auto Train. Long live the pride and joy!
I would have to agree with bat, the auto train gets the most equipment and priority. If it meets a silver service train you can bet it will get to go throgh while the meateor or star waits in the hole. But the Coast Starlight seems to be the pride and joy of the west coast. It has special amenities such as the parlour car. The fesibility for the auto train is high and you might not be suprised if a auto train from sanford to la was operated how popular it would be. The program would work where if you have a car it is loaded in sanford. You stay on the train as it deadheads to orlando. #.5 days later you have a car and you can get off the sunset and axplore the west coach. If amtrak had the capital, offering trains and connecting trains in which your car could be carried would probably be popular. I belive in Australia the Indian-Pacific(transcontinental run) offers the service.

engine999 said:
I would have to agree with bat, the auto train gets the most equipment and priority.  If it meets a silver service train you can bet it will get to go throgh while the meateor or star waits in the hole.
CSX couldn't care less about putting the Auto Train ahead of a Silver Service train, the Auto Train isn't their pride and joy. It's just one more thorn in their side.

There are probably two reasons that they are giving the Auto Train priority over a Silver Service train. One, simply because the Silver Service trains are shorter and fit into the sidings better than the long Auto Train.

The second reason is also based on logistics, one doesn't put an express behind a local. The Auto Train makes no stops, other than the crew change & refueling stop, whereas the Silver Service trains are stopping at stations along the way.

I highly doubt a transcon Auto Train would be popular, too long of a journey with too many long stops needed. Take a look at the Sunset, it has maybe 20-30 passengers that make the full trip between the East coast and LA per trip. The Sunset requires 9 recrews, two fueling stops (might even be three), and probably at least four waterings. It would be too much of a capital risk on Amtrak's part for a service that would take a long time to find a knack. Add on to that poor CSX and UP timekeeping, and you're looking at a recipe for (a financial) disaster.

battalion51 said:
I highly doubt a transcon Auto Train would be popular, too long of a journey with too many long stops needed. Take a look at the Sunset, it has maybe 20-30 passengers that make the full trip between the East coast and LA per trip. The Sunset requires 9 recrews, two fueling stops (might even be three), and probably at least four waterings. It would be too much of a capital risk on Amtrak's part for a service that would take a long time to find a knack. Add on to that poor CSX and UP timekeeping, and you're looking at a recipe for (a financial) disaster.
I agree with Battalion here, a transcon would be a huge risk and probably not very successful.

The one idea that has been batted around for years now, which might have a chance at success, would be an Auto Train from some where south of Chicago down to Sanford. There is a large market from Chicago to Florida & Disney in particular. Now whether that would support an Auto Train or not is debatable, but I think that this train would have a higher chance of success than a transcon.

I think it'd be best for Amtrak to establish direct service from Chicago to Miami, and then give an Auto Train a shot. If Amtrak is successfully selling out trains throughout the year, I'd say it'd be worth it to look at adding an Auto Train once they see market success with a "conventional" train first.

yeah, i see what you mean. But I also meant for the train not to be a full auto train in terms. Basically the only change to the consist would be a aout carrier tagged on the end. Any train that could go from Chi-Fl in one night(the old floridian I believe) would probably be succesful.

battalion51 said:
I think it'd be best for Amtrak to establish direct service from Chicago to Miami, and then give an Auto Train a shot. If Amtrak is successfully selling out trains throughout the year, I'd say it'd be worth it to look at adding an Auto Train once they see market success with a "conventional" train first.
Yeah, I'd have to agree on the conventional train (Floridian), as a priority over the Midwest Auto Train. The Issue with a Midwest Auto Train is that you'd only really have the Chicago and Miami markets, while missing out on everything else between those two points.

Ideally you'd want a train running Chicago-Indianapolis-Louisville-Bowling Green-Atlanta-Jacksonville-Orlando-Miami, with hopefully a Tampa section. A flaw with the Floridian (along the old South Wind route), was that it missed key markets, mainly around the Atlanta area.

The key here is first you capture those markets in the Midwest/South, then move on to a specialized Auto Train service. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg, except there is an answer. With the Florida Market, first it was proven to be one of the most important markets for conventional service, that created the basis for the Auto Train initially.

With Auto Train service, you'd probably need a lot more investment, so it'd be easier to start with the conventional train, as proof that it'll attract ridership. Auto Train would require the purchase of Auto Carriers, the construction of the facilities to handle that operation, in Chicago (and possibly Miami), which could get kind of tricky.

Actually Viewliner, you're route misses a couple of more key markets. The route I see takes the Floridian out of Atlanta going Northwest on NS to Chattanooga. Once in Chattanooga switch over to CSX and cut north to Nashville. North of Tennessee I don't know a clear cut route to Chicago (since my maps take me as far north as Tennessee), but there's definitely a good route in since that's a pretty high volume market (Nashville-Chicago).

The old floridian from my reasearch would basically turn left north of jax and go to valdosta, then make a turn north and head for nashville and on to chi. A reroute making it go from Chi-Nashville-Atl-Jax-Miami would hit more markets seving popular destinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back