Amtrak to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
I have several questions:

1) is the NOUPT in a dangerous/shady area, or is it in downtown? Should one be careful when walking to/from hotels in downtown?

2) Really OT, but what is the current state of New Orleans? I've heard everything from that there are military checkpoints everywhere to that it's safe to visit and everyone is very glad to have tourists. I know this may sound ridiculous, but are looters/criminals still terrorizing the city? I'm mainly talking about the touristy areas-not the 9th ward or any place like that.

Thanks for any help!

I actually was just got back from NO, and it was a very fun trip

The station is in downtown, right by the Superdome. I wouldnt be too worried walking around in the daytime in that area. I took a cab from the station to out hotel on Bourbon St. and it was less than $10, so thats another option.

As for the town, its really eerie. The touristie areas are fine, there is alot of police presence. Once you get out of there, I hear the crime pretty bad, and there is still ALOT of damage. I didnt hang out too much in the tourist areas because its outragiously expensive and walked to the more local places. I didnt have any problems.

I have several questions:1) is the NOUPT in a dangerous/shady area, or is it in downtown? Should one be careful when walking to/from hotels in downtown?

2) Really OT, but what is the current state of New Orleans? I've heard everything from that there are military checkpoints everywhere to that it's safe to visit and everyone is very glad to have tourists. I know this may sound ridiculous, but are looters/criminals still terrorizing the city? I'm mainly talking about the touristy areas-not the 9th ward or any place like that.

Thanks for any help!
There are NO military checkpoints!! LOL!! If you stay in the "touristy" areas you should be fine. You should always be careful when walking to and from hotels in any large American city. The rule of thumb in N.O. has always been, "always stay on the beaten path!" It would be foolish to walk down an un-lit alley by yourself at midnight....again, that would be the norm for any larger American city.

Carry a money clip, keep it in your front pocket. Again, ever since I was a young boy thats what I was told to do. Trust me, I was young boy waaaaaaay before Katrina! :)

It is a city still in turmoil, no doubt. Canal Street is slowly coming back, it will be really picturesque once the re-construction is complete. The trolley's are up and running. There are really neat!

The French Quarter, Bourbon Street, etc., are open for business. Being that this is the highest point in the city, there wasnt a whole lot of damage done by Katrina.

Lake View and West End out to UNO were all heavily, heavily damaged. Had the opportunity to head to that area in July. It was once a vital, thriving area, with homes all over the place. Now you have blocks and blocks of vacant lots. No need to even go anywhere near here, unless you want a taste of what Katrina did.

SIT

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several questions:1) is the NOUPT in a dangerous/shady area, or is it in downtown? Should one be careful when walking to/from hotels in downtown?

Thanks for any help!
New Orleans is still reeling two years after Katrina. FYI, the passenger station was the parish prison after Katrina. Passengers had to walk around the station after Amtrak started running trains again as the razor wire was still up. The station was never a present day shining star and Amtrak shares the facility with Greyhound. Presently, the Louisiana State Police, National Guard, FBI, DEA and the Border Patrol are assisting the New Orleans police in fighting crime. Apparently they are losing the battle as the city has been dubbed "Murder Capital of the World." It is not a hollow name. We watch the New Orleans TV stations and there are rare evenings when someone has not been shot or killed. If I had to guess,a lot of the violence is drug related.

We live less than an hour away and have witnessed every part of New Orleans in its recovery. I would not suggest that anyone even consider visiting, at the present time, for sightseeing purposes. I'm sure there are those that would disagree but the crime statistics speak for themselves.

I actually was just got back from NO, and it was a very fun trip
The station is in downtown, right by the Superdome. I wouldnt be too worried walking around in the daytime in that area. I took a cab from the station to out hotel on Bourbon St. and it was less than $10, so thats another option.

As for the town, its really eerie. The touristie areas are fine, there is alot of police presence. Once you get out of there, I hear the crime pretty bad, and there is still ALOT of damage. I didnt hang out too much in the tourist areas because its outragiously expensive and walked to the more local places. I didnt have any problems.

I agree with SIT's assesment. I was there on the 26th and 31st of July,having to spend a night going to and coming from Houston. My hotel was in the French Quarter,and I ventured out with no problem. When I went out,I left my wallet in my room and took my ID and 20$ with me and kept them in my front pocket.

I took Amtrak to New Orleans just 6 months after Katrina (March 2006) and felt perfectly safe even then. I even walked from the station to my hotel in the French Quarter. I wouldn't have done it at night or if I was a woman traveling alone or something, but it wasn't THAT bad. Canal Street north of the FQ was pretty erie and everything, but this is over a year ago we're talking.

I would say go...enjoy yourself...just use common sense. Stay with the crowd. The French Quarter is not THAT bad...some parts close to Rampart Street can be sketchy...Bourbon is fine, Royal is fine, Decatur is fine...you'll be on those the most. There are usually no problems on Canal St...lots of people on that street everyday. The riverfront area is fine. The train station really isn't in a bad location all things conidered. If you go three blocks to the right when leaving the station under the interstate, well, that's not good at all. But the station itself is ok to walk to from most hotels during the day...at night i'd use a taxi, as I would in most cities.

Believe me, NOLA has a lot of problems, but it also is still a place worth visiting. It's very unique.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having lived in NO awhile back, I can attest that the city was never 'very safe' when off the beaten path. Keep to the tourist areas and you'll be fine, but still you common sense. And don't wander down secluded streets and alleys. Thats asking for trouble anytime. Also, do NOT venture South(?) from the Amtrak station..that would be going under the interstate bridge. Just head north towards the downtown (what they call 'CBD') area. The station never was a pristine place...always a bit grungy, outdated looking, but always pretty heavily used.

I have several questions:

1) is the NOUPT in a dangerous/shady area, or is it in downtown? Should one be careful when walking to/from hotels in downtown?

Thanks for any help!
New Orleans is still reeling two years after Katrina. FYI, the passenger station was the parish prison after Katrina. Passengers had to walk around the station after Amtrak started running trains again as the razor wire was still up. The station was never a present day shining star and Amtrak shares the facility with Greyhound. Presently, the Louisiana State Police, National Guard, FBI, DEA and the Border Patrol are assisting the New Orleans police in fighting crime. Apparently they are losing the battle as the city has been dubbed "Murder Capital of the World." It is not a hollow name. We watch the New Orleans TV stations and there are rare evenings when someone has not been shot or killed. If I had to guess,a lot of the violence is drug related.

We live less than an hour away and have witnessed every part of New Orleans in its recovery. I would not suggest that anyone even consider visiting, at the present time, for sightseeing purposes. I'm sure there are those that would disagree but the crime statistics speak for themselves.
The following was in the Baton Rouge, LA Advocate today, Friday, August 17th, 2007, page 12A

STATISTICS SHOW N.O. CRIME GETTING WORSE

New statistics show a crime wave is intensifying in a city already beset by the uncertainties of a flagging recovery from Hurricane Katrina. Despite an infusion of money and manpower into the justice system, the murder rate is growing and armed robbers are preying on Hispanic day laborers flush with cash from re-building jobs, the police department says. The city, *which led the nation in murders in 2006*, is on track to retain its title, according to data presented Thursday for April through June.

The report shows a 14 per cent increase in murders and 44 per cent leap in armed robberies for the first half of 2007 compared with the same period in 2006. "It's obviously not good" Police Superintendent Warren Riley said.

Crime has gotten so out of hand that Louisiana National Guard troops continue to patrol city streets and the U.S. Justice department has taken on a bigger role in fighting street crime that had largely been left to the city before Katrina.

There's more to the story but I rest my case.....there are much better places to visit at the present time. When the police superintendent throws up his hands in despair I don't want to be around.

Just a comment about the streetcars, the St. Charles line is still out of service west of Lee Circle (mostly the whole route is still down except just for those 5-6 blocks between Canal and Julia Street), it has not been a high priority of the current and former city administrations, which are on the defensive due to corruption, indictments are falling like snow flakes. The Perlie Thomas cars made it OK, and have been pressed into service on the "new" Canal Street line. But if you don't mind taking taxies everywhere, you should be fine. Walking at night or in the evenings was never recommended in any big city, but actually it IS safe to walk in the French Quarter, always has been due to the large presence of people and law enforcement.

I was there during Mardi Gras this year and had a really great time.

We walked from Frenchmen street through the French quarter every day and night and took a taxi to and from the Amtrak station $11.

We are planning a family trip for New Years.

As any big city let your common sense prevail.

People are extremely thankful for your visit and will make an effort to let you know.

The quarter received little damage and except for the fact they are short of help,it's

life,business and party as usual.

Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler!

Enjoy your trip!

I was there during Mardi Gras this year and had a really great time.We walked from Frenchmen street through the French quarter every day and night and took a taxi to and from the Amtrak station $11.

People are extremely thankful for your visit and will make an effort to let you know.

The quarter received little damage and except for the fact they are short of help,it's

Enjoy your trip!
Just a footnote to a previous post. My wife was in the Krewe of Iris that parades down St. Charles Avenue on the Saturday before Mardi Gras. She, and many others, have dropped out of the Krewe not because they didn't enjoy Mardi Gras but because they had to attend meetings after dark in downtown New Orleans. Need I say more?

I was there during Mardi Gras this year and had a really great time.

We walked from Frenchmen street through the French quarter every day and night and took a taxi to and from the Amtrak station $11.

Enjoy your trip!
Just a footnote to a previous post. My wife was in the Krewe of Iris that parades down St. Charles Avenue on the Saturday before Mardi Gras. She, and many others, have dropped out of the Krewe not because they didn't enjoy Mardi Gras but because they had to attend meetings after dark in downtown New Orleans. Need I say more?
The city is NOT unsafe to be in after dark. It just isn't. Some people are just more nervous than others I guess. I was just there this weekend for my birthday....out really late...and we were fine. If you go off wandering in a dark alley by yourself you're asking for trouble. But if you're with people, you'll be fine.

Please, don't let the crime stats deter you from visiting New Orleans. 99% of the crime occurs in poor residential areas and most of it is drug related. You rarely hear of crime in the French Quarter except for random acts of stupidity on Bourbon Street caused by drunkenness. I never feel uncomfortable in the French Quarter, CBD, Warehouse District. I refuse to live my life in fear. I am observant to my surroundings, but just because a place has a rep for being "unsafe" doesn't mean I'll refuse to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back