Amtrak to Ohare?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are here: ChicagoTribune.com>Collections

Amtrak exploring O'Hare service

Proposal would link airport with Union Station, points downstate

February 20, 2011|By Jon Hilkevitch | Getting Around

William DeShazer, Chicago Tribune

In the future, one of the carriers serving travelers at O'Hare International Airport may be Amtrak.

Gov. Pat Quinn has asked Amtrak CEO Joseph Boardman to conduct a study examining what it would take, logistically and financially, to commence fast, nonstop passenger rail service between Chicago Union Station and O'Hare, your Getting Around reporter has learned.

The governor envisions the proposed rail line, which at this point is strictly conceptual, as offering a more extensive reach than the O'Hare branch of the CTA Blue Line, which runs between the Loop and the airport, and Mayor Richard Daley's plan for premium "Airport Express" service between the uncompleted Block 37 "super station" downtown and O'Hare.

Here is the link. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-20/classified/ct-met-getting-around-0221-20110220_1_o-hare-service-airport-trains-passenger-rail

In the future, one of the carriers serving travelers at O'Hare International Airport may be Amtrak.

Gov. Pat Quinn has asked Amtrak CEO Joseph Boardman to conduct a study examining what it would take, logistically and financially, to commence fast, nonstop passenger rail service between Chicago Union Station and O'Hare, your Getting Around reporter has learned.

The governor envisions the proposed rail line, which at this point is strictly conceptual, as offering a more extensive reach than the O'Hare branch of the CTA Blue Line, which runs between the Loop and the airport, and Mayor Richard Daley's plan for premium "Airport Express" service between the uncompleted Block 37 "super station" downtown and O'Hare.

Here is the link. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-02-20/classified/ct-met-getting-around-0221-20110220_1_o-hare-service-airport-trains-passenger-rail
Would this line be on the way to anywhere -- as in, midroute, like BWI, Newark, or Milwaukee airports -- or just a stub line terminating at the airport? Amtrak has no business running the latter! Airports like Philadelphia's (SEPTA) or Portland's (MAX) show the correct model for rail service running strictly to an airport -- short, extremely frequent service that would simply be impossible for Amtrak to provide (not to mention outside of Amtrak's mandate).

So I hope there is zero chance this gets off the ground, unless it's part of a route that continues from Chicago to Madison, in which case I absolutely hope it gets off the ground.

Shouldn't the good Governor be asking ORD operators to dig out a few pennies from the giant PFC fund that they control to perhaps extend the people mover to the current METRA station, get METRA to build turning facilities there (perhaps using PFC funds) and then talk to Amtrak to extend its downstate service to originate/terminate at that station? Where exactly is Amtrak going to find the money to fund a purely in city project, and why?

Afterall, look at the Newark Airport Station. The entire project, the station, the track realignment required, the connecting Airtrain and Airtrain station - the whole shebang was built using EWR PFC funds. And as a result of all that some 20% to 25% of users of EWR who travel to EWR from Manhattan use the rail connection according to PANYNJ today. I wonder what percentage of O/D passengers from Chicago CBD use the Blue Line to get to ORD today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. The people mover should be extended to the O'hare Metra station. I did that transfer once, and it just takes way too long to do. However once finally on the Metra train, direct service to Union Station was very convenient. No dragging luggage up and down stairs at the subway stop and then walking two or three blocks to Union Station.

Perhaps Illinois should pay its creditor's and income tax refunds before spending

more money!! What's the issue with the Blue Line connection to O'Hare?

Perhaps Illinois should pay its creditor's and income tax refunds before spending

more money!! What's the issue with the Blue Line connection to O'Hare?
The whole point I am trying to make is that this is one case where Illinois does not have to spend any of its own money. It can be funded almost exclusively out of ORD PFC, just as the EWR Rail Station and access to it was funded completely out of EWR PFC. NJ State, NJT or Amtrak did not spend a penny on it.

Frankly, you have to be a serious railfan to schlep your bags around to use the Blue Line to get to Union Station to catch a train to downstate. I'd never take the Blue Line if I have significant luggage.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the focus is connecting Ord with downstate Illinois. After leaving Ord(whereever the station is) the trains continue to cus and on to St louis or elsewhere.
This would be impossible, as northern platforms of CUS is separated from the southern platform.

I think the focus is connecting Ord with downstate Illinois. After leaving Ord(whereever the station is) the trains continue to cus and on to St louis or elsewhere.
This would be impossible, as northern platforms of CUS is separated from the southern platform.
CUS has a through track from North to South and vice versa. It is the one closest to the river. They have to get the trains on the north side of the station down to the south side yards for maintenance, etc.

like others, if this is a stub line, it is a really bad idea, if it will be part of some of the IL services then it could be a great idea, if it has a people mover like ERW.

Another important point to consider is who is the main airliner using O'Hare namely United.

Considering the gradual United-CO merger it would be very welcome turn of events if O'Hare gets Amtrak service. It could mean codeshare service on some Midwestern routes :cool:

And the continuation of the united/co miles to AGR program that many of us depend on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps Illinois should pay its creditor's and income tax refunds before spending more money!! What's the issue with the Blue Line connection to O'Hare?
Lack of easy luggage transfer is probably the main complaint I've heard. It's never bothered me much but then I carry about a third of what most Americans try to take with them. Personally I like the PFC idea the best. Fund the improvements from the fees applied to the folks who will benefit the most.

I'm with bretton88, if they want "express" service from ORD to CHI, they can have Metra run some express trains and just extend the people mover to the Metra station or something.

Here is the link. http://articles.chic...-passenger-rail
Would this line be on the way to anywhere -- as in, midroute, like BWI, Newark, or Milwaukee airports -- or just a stub line terminating at the airport? Amtrak has no business running the latter! Airports like Philadelphia's (SEPTA) or Portland's (MAX) show the correct model for rail service running strictly to an airport -- short, extremely frequent service that would simply be impossible for Amtrak to provide (not to mention outside of Amtrak's mandate).

So I hope there is zero chance this gets off the ground, unless it's part of a route that continues from Chicago to Madison, in which case I absolutely hope it gets off the ground.
That would be great, I love taking the train to Chicago, but to get to Madison, I have to finish the trip on a bus ;(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back