Amtrak to Simplify Fares, and Print in Timetables

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
Amtrak is Reviving the practice of printing its fares in timetables for the first time in about 20 years:

Amtrak Goes Back to Basics
Amtrak wants to simplify and stabilize its train fares and plans to put fares back in its timetables, Wednesday's Wall Street Journal reported.
Click Here for the Article.

This might be interesting. to return to stable fares, which anyone can read straight out of the timetable, or off the web.....fares which you can plan around and depend upon and not have to play so many tricks, as to how soon you reserve, etc.

This is a big step in the right direction and would make a lot of lives easier from reservation agents to station agents to most importantly passengers.

That'll make it a lot easier for me when someone says how much would cost to go from _____ to _____. Good times.

A good point, Battallion. I get that question and feel like a dummy since there is no simple answer. I usually try to ge by with, "Well, coach is sort of like a bus, standard fare, sleeper is sort of like a standard not heavily-discounted airline fare". That usually works. or so it seems.

The NARP also says that there will no longer be a separate Northeast and National Timetable for the first time since the spring of 1993. So the National Timetable will truly be a "National" timetable.

Bill Haithcoat said:
That is good news. Sometimes a station will have one and not the other....as happened the last time I stopped by my own station .
I agree, less confusing, more convenient. Does this save any money for Amtrak?

Viewliner said:
Bill Haithcoat said:
That is good news.  Sometimes a station will have one and not the other....as happened the last  time I stopped by my own station .
I agree, less confusing, more convenient. Does this save any money for Amtrak?
On a printing stand point, they probably save a little cash. They won't have to print a second accomadation page, rules and regulation page, and the page that lists all the stations. This will also make it easier for us Northeasterner's so we don't have to carry around two timetables. Gould move on Amtrak's part, it is also nice to see that there are plans past 10/1/03 (the begginging of Fiscal 2004 and the stake of Amtrak's future).

I'm definitely a fan of condensed timetables. I'll be interested to see how thick that beast will end up being though.

battalion51 said:
I'll be interested to see how thick that beast will end up being though.
And that's my worry about this possible planned consolidation. While there have been many good points raised in this topic, but I for one prefer the two timetable concept.

I think that one timetable will be too bulky and probably too confusing. I still believe that having a NE table is a good idea. When one small area has as many trains (actually more), as the rest of the country then I think that they are entitled to a seperate timetable.

This is even true in the commuter RR's, each train gets it's own seperate timetable.

AlanB said:
battalion51 said:
I'll be interested to see how thick that beast will end up being though.
And that's my worry about this possible planned consolidation. While there have been many good points raised in this topic, but I for one prefer the two timetable concept.

I think that one timetable will be too bulky and probably too confusing. I still believe that having a NE table is a good idea. When one small area has as many trains (actually more), as the rest of the country then I think that they are entitled to a seperate timetable.

This is even true in the commuter RR's, each train gets it's own seperate timetable.
True commuter rail lines do get there own timetables, but they were wallet sized. Amtrak also has wallet sized timetables for it's train, but a National timetable makes it easier when booking a trip as everything is right there in front of you.

I can understand what Alan is saying, maybe they should continue printing a separate NE Timetable, as well as the NEC in the National Timetable.

Amfleet said:
True commuter rail lines do get there own timetables, but they were wallet sized. Amtrak also has wallet sized timetables for it's train, but a National timetable makes it easier when booking a trip as everything is right there in front of you.
That's only true for the MBTA's schedules. The next time you are down here in NY go pickup a schedule for NJT, Metro North, or the LIRR. While it's not as large as an Amtrak schedule, I can also promise you that you aren't going to fit it in your wallet.

In fact the NJT Morris & Essex timetable, while not 8-1/2 X 11 like the Amtrak table (it's probably 9 X 5), is probably almost as thick as the NEC's timetable.

Viewliner said:
I can understand what Alan is saying, maybe they should continue printing a separate NE Timetable, as well as the NEC in the National Timetable.
Now that would mean even more ink and paper. I think the national timetable, along with the individual route/train timetables will be adaquate.

Amtrak is not doscontinuing its yield-managed fare system, which applies primarily to the long-distance trains. All that is happening is that the NEC fares (Acela Express and Regionals) are being printed in the timetable with a definition of the peak, shoulder and off-peak time periods. Additionally, some "representative sample" fares for long-distance travel will be listed, with a footnote that fares are subject to availability.

I support the two timetable concept since I live on the west coast. Most passengers in California picking up the National timetables could care less about the "commuter-type" (don't yell at me for using this phrase!) Acela/Regionals and other east coast trains. They are/could be interested in trains leaving from CA to cross the country, but everyone picking up a timetable here doesn't need the complete book of schedules for the east coast - it is a waste of printing/money. This is a good move for the east coast (I think), but a complete WASTE and pity for the west coast.

jccollins said:
I support the two timetable concept since I live on the west coast. Most passengers in California picking up the National timetables could care less about the "commuter-type" (don't yell at me for using this phrase!) Acela/Regionals and other east coast trains. They are/could be interested in trains leaving from CA to cross the country, but everyone picking up a timetable here doesn't need the complete book of schedules for the east coast - it is a waste of printing/money. This is a good move for the east coast (I think), but a complete WASTE and pity for the west coast.
Jccollins, I have to disagree with you on that, I think its good to have it all consolidated in one booklet, as even some californians (or other west coast citizens) may need to refer to the Northeast Schedules. Besides, one could make the arguement that the people could care less about the California, Cascades, and others that live on the east coast, yet they're printed in the national timetable anyway.

Viewliner said:
Most passengers in California picking up the National timetables could care less about the "commuter-type" (don't yell at me for using this phrase!) Acela/Regionals and other east coast trains.
Besides, one could make the arguement that the people could care less about the California, Cascades, and others that live on the east coast, yet they're printed in the national timetable anyway.
Then again, if one could care less, one must care quite a bit, right? :D :lol: :lol:

AlanB said:
Amfleet said:
That's only true for the MBTA's schedules. The next time you are down here in NY go pickup a schedule for NJT, Metro North, or the LIRR. While it's not as large as an Amtrak schedule, I can also promise you that you aren't going to fit it in your wallet.

In fact the NJT Morris & Essex timetable, while not 8-1/2 X 11 like the Amtrak table (it's probably 9 X 5), is probably almost as thick as the NEC's timetable.
Alan,

While the branch timetables for the LIRR and MN are too big to fit in a wallet, the individual station schedules are not as I still have one for the station I use when in NY in mine. B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back