Amtrak tourism

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Missha

Hi,

I am going to be in the US for 2 weeks in Oct. I come in through NY and am to go to California but there is no itinerary for the entire period except need to be back in NY to leave for India. Am curious about Amtrak and as I do not drive at all, wondered if it was a good idea to travel from NY to SF by train one way and see some places on the way? Any suggestions please - am lost in the Amtrak site. Would be too tiring to spend a week travelling on trains?

Hi, I have made the same journey from New York, 1st. train up to Chicago

leaving NY midafternoon, arriving Chicago about 9am the following morning, and then a second train (The Zephyr) through to San Francisco. (The terminal for San Francisco is called Emeryville). The 2nd. train leaves Chicago about 2.30 pm, and arrives at Emeryville about 5pm on the 3rd day ...E.G. if you leave Chicago on Wednesday pm you arrive Emeryville Friday pm. I have only done the trip with a sleeper car.

You can stop over in Chicago or continue onward on the same day that you arrive from NY.

You can check which cities interest you on the amtrak route maps, but do check the timetables - beware that you can be arriving at some places in the middle of the night!

Sadly, there is often only 1 train each day, so it is not often possible to travel all day by train, get off somewhere interesting in the evening, then continue onward next morning, as the next train will be in the evening again.

You can "play" with the amtrak website, try putting in options and familiarise yourself with its workings, times and prices. I enjoy train travel, and have enjoyed "All India" rail journeys in the past too! You should be safe and comfortable on the trains, compared to buses, and this will let you see more than flying...I flew back economicaly, one way to NY from SF, on American Airlines.

There is a limited choice of routes, you can find a route map on the Amtrak site..surprisingly there are large areas of America without any train service.

The Zephyr route is outstandingly scenic, and one of my favourite. I would encourage you to take the train!

Ed.

B)

p.s. if you click on the little www logo which has a house on it just below this message, it will take you to my website, which contains a record of my own trip.

Thanks a lot Caravanman for your very useful info. I will definitely check out the website.

However, any suggestions what may be interesting places to stop by? Ideally, I suppose I would look at places that I can stay a day or so and then move on, without travelling too much in that place. For instance, I am planning to stay a day or so at Chicago as I am sure I can walk around a fair amount (I do not drive at all).

Also, any way I find out more about getting discounts (other than the amtrak site of course that I am already looking) on the Amtrak? Are these available on sleepers as well?

Thanks again

If you want the most scenic and comfortable route to SFR, I would suggest the Empire Builder=Coast Starlight connection. Both trains feature either mostly new or rebuilt consists. The Cardinal is absolutely amazing for scenery from Penn to Chicago

I am planning to take the Cardinal from NY to Chicago but I was told California Zephyr offers the most scenic route? So is Empire Builder + Coastal Starlight a better idea?

Gosh I am more confused than ever!

Me personally, I'd take the Zephyr. The Builder goes through more plains and flatlands, while the Zephyr goes through the picture-esque Rockies, which are absolutely beautiful. But, they are doing a detour in the near future here check out this topic for more information.

Thanks for that info - just checked that link and thankfully, the date I have planned for is not a detour date.

But out of curiosity, if it did fall on a detour date, when the route is through S Wyoming (from denver to Salt lake city, I think), will it take away too much and would it then be worthwhile to take another train?

missha said:
Also, any way I find out more about getting discounts (other than the amtrak site of course that I am already looking) on the Amtrak? Are these available on sleepers as well?
You might want to check out the first post called Amtrak Promotions and Discounts on the FlyerTalk Website for a complete listing of Amtrak discounts being offered at this time. No registration is required and I always check this website for discounts before booking my tickets.

There are no discounts that will work to discount the price of a sleeper accommodation except for Amtrak's rail/cruise discount that I mentioned in a similar post by Gingee about what time to put a reservation in. However, all the discounts will work to discount the base rail fare that is charged before a sleeper accommodation is tacked onto it.

Back