Amtrak trading favors with CP?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak already has an excellent relationship with CP, so this is no surprise. Is their eye on a bigger prize? Only time will tell, with a thought that "Meridian Speedway" and Baton Rouge may enter future conversations. In the meantime there's nothing like good will.

It is true that in the last couple of decades CP has been a very good Amtrak host and KCS has been... openly hostile. So the merger is naturally beneficial to Amtrak. If CP specifically agrees to start several long-desired Amtrak routes as part of getting Amtrak's backing for the merger, so much the better.

Now, I wonder if VIA Rail has the sense to ask for something in exchange for their support of the merger! There's some things CP could do for them...

The press release completely ignored a third route where Amtrak runs on CP rails. The Adirondack north to Montreal and I belive a small stretch of the Ethan Allen Express between Schenectady and Vermont were it starts running on the Vermont Rail system.

The press release completely ignored a third route where Amtrak runs on CP rails. The Adirondack north to Montreal and I belive a small stretch of the Ethan Allen Express between Schenectady and Vermont were it starts running on the Vermont Rail system.
Indeed! Adirondack runs on CP from Schenectady to Rouse's point and then CN to Montreal Central. Ethan Allen runs on CP from Schenectady to just short of Whitehall.

Back