Amtrak Train Travel on Labor day.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
This Weekend lots of people are going alway for the Labor day Weekend and so can somebody please give me the information on the Amtrak Trains like on Labor day is all Amtrak Trains will be runing on a Weekend Schedule? And how many passager Cars will be on the Amtrak Trains on the gateway trip this Weekend?

Well Amtrak will not be running a full schedule, all long distance trains will run as they normally do but in corridiors there will be reduced trains. Refer to the national and northeast timetables or Amtraks website for specific information.

What the heck is the gateway trip?

The day before a holiday weekend, is called "Get Away Day", because everyone takes to the highways and byways to go away on a mini vacation. As in everyone is trying to get away from work and home for the long weekend. They may be headed for the sea shore, the mountains, some other city that they don't live in. They may also head off to visit friends and/or relatives.

But nonetheless if you find yourself on the highway on Friday afternoon, you'll see everyone driving their cars and probably stuck in traffic if they are near a city, all trying to get away. :)

Oh well thanks Alan for clearing that up!!

As for your question on how many cars will be on trains that day, well it really depends on which train it is!! But in years past Amtrak usually has put a few extra cars on many of its train to help with the increased passenger loads.

Things will actually begin to get busy on Thursday night with the peak dying off on Tuesday or Wednesday. Expect full coaches, full sleepers, full dining cars, and lounge cars with sold out items.

Silver Meteor always carries three sleepers, it's a toss up on the Star, I'd say it's unlikely though.

How about the Baggage Cars will the Trains will have one or two Baggage Cars runing for this Labor Day Weekend?

Id imagine that on most trains one baggage car would be sufficient to handle the needs. Some trains, like the Lake Shore Limited run with 2 baggage cars all of the time, one for each section.

I heard on the news this morning that many, many more people are expected on the highway this Labor Day, because of the hassles of security and such with flying. Just hope Amtrak gets a larger piece of business than usual.

Well if you read the first couple of replies Railfan, you would know that the rush starts on Thursday night and Friday!

P40Power said:
Id imagine that on most trains one baggage car would be sufficient to handle the needs. Some trains, like the Lake Shore Limited run with 2 baggage cars all of the time, one for each section.
Good guess P40. There is absolutely no need to add another baggage car to handle larger loads. Unless you add a substantial number of cars to a train (especially coaches, and when I say add I mean 2-3 more coaches) there is no need to add another baggage car. The piles in the baggage car can be made as big as necessary, and as tall as necessary. Also two baggage cars makes things a lot harder when picking up items at a station, for instance, "Oh this needs to go to the other car," and things like that. What I imagine they do on the LSL is use one baggage car for that section (let's say it's the Boston side) as well as the other intermediate stops, while the New York baggage car would handle just New York bags going west. Going east, well that's just a big pain in the butt for that Conductor out of Albany to break down.

battalion51 said:
What I imagine they do on the LSL is use one baggage car for that section (let's say it's the Boston side) as well as the other intermediate stops, while the New York baggage car would handle just New York bags going west. Going east, well that's just a big pain in the butt for that Conductor out of Albany to break down.
To the best of my knowledge, the LSL breaks out it's baggage based upon which train you are booked on. For example if you are booked into a 448 car or sleeper, and you check baggage, then your bags will go into the Boston bag. This is true even if you are only riding between say Syracuse and Chicago.

If you were booked into a 48 car or sleeper, then your bags would go into the NY baggage car. Of course the same procedure is used for 49/449 too.

I guess that makes sense, EB anyways. I personally would prefer to keep everything together as much as I could EB.

On my trip this past July, we even had to double spot a few times, just to accomodate getting both bags onto the plat for loading and unloading.

Double spots really aren't that unusal. There are a handful of stations down here where you have to spot it up twice, mostly for sleeper and coach stops though (these stations aren't staffed), including Delray, Sanford, and Palatka. Double spots really aren't that big of an issue, as they only cost 1-2 minutes.

battalion51 said:
Double spots really aren't that unusal. There are a handful of stations down here where you have to spot it up twice, mostly for sleeper and coach stops though (these stations aren't staffed), including Delray, Sanford, and Palatka. Double spots really aren't that big of an issue, as they only cost 1-2 minutes.
I'm fully aware that double spots are not unusual. :) I was pointing out however, that in the case of the LSL, had we only had one bag we not have needed to double spot.

I've also been the victim of a failed double spot down in your territory, at the Hollywood station. The A/C blew the first stop and let me tell you I was pretty peeved.

AlanB said:
Double spots really aren't that big of an issue, as they only cost 1-2 minutes.
Unless you're riding the Sunset Limited through Maricopa and experience a famous octa-stop (train stops/spots 6-8 times. The platform could barely accomodate two superliner cars if very carefully spotted, but usually only ends up being one per stop).

:lol:

These stops cost time, usually about twenty minutes each time a Sunset Ltd passes through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back