Amtrak train wreck

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I pray for the pax and crew. It's not the prettiest sight after you have big holed (put the brakes into emergency and you still keep sliding along the rail until you derail or turn over. I've done both.)I hope we don't lose a CCC already...

I will never understand why the crossbars don't come down on BOTH sides of the road. We are scheduled to take this very train next Saturday for an overnight trip to New Orleans.

Well, it seems that the number of injured is now being reported as 7 and total people on train as 98. Where did the 150 ever come from? Looking at the picture in the Clarion Ledger article, it looks like the last couple of cars may have jackknifed out about half a car width.

MS Train, in my part of the state, the newspaper we saw for news beyond the local was the Commercial Appeal, with the Mississippi Section for in-state news. You usually had to get south of Grenada before you could find the Clarion Ledger.

We just heard that there was another train that involved a teenage boy as he was trying to get a animal across the tracks. The boy was killed. Just heard it on the news tonight. Not sure where it was.

George, my apologies! You are correct about the Commercial Appeal being the paper of North MS! I used to read it often in my years up at Oxford. I miss it! A much better rag than the Clarion!
Here is the photo gallery:

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll...ONTPAGECAROUSEL
:D :D Sorry, couldn't resist. As someone once said, however, there is no such thing as north Mississippi. It is upper south Mississippi. Thanks for the photo gallery link. Some really good views there.

HA! Yeah, I am once again remiss on calling anything in Mississippi NORTH! Dang Yankees......ripped up all of our good rail lines during the "War"...... :lol:

Is the engine repairable?
Looks pretty repairable. Actually, it doesn't look all that badly damaged.

Edit: After looking at the newer gallery, I'd say its repairable, but I take back the "Not all that badly damaged" comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Me and My Mom and My Stepfather are going to ride train 58, the City of New Orleans in four weeks.

I suspect its Amtrak, although I'm not sure. Also, Amtrak will probably be sued and have to pay out claims.

I suspect its Amtrak, although I'm not sure. Also, Amtrak will probably be sued and have to pay out claims.
No, as long as it is clear that the garbage truck ignored the warnings at the grade crossing, Amtrak can file claim with the garbage companies insurance for payment. Additionally any liability claims can be made against the garbage company.

However, if it turns out that something malfunctioned at a crossing, then things would revert to Amtrak since the freight Co would technically be responsible, but are indemnified under the law and the contracts.

I wonder if this actually has the potential to lead to Amtrak suing the owners of the garbage truck, depending on the amount of damage to the train. I don't think the average automobile driver carries enough insurance to buy a new P42.

Sure, but is the P42 the only part of the trainset that was damaged?
From the photos that I saw, I'm sure that Amtrak has damage to other cars, especially the one that looks like it's derailed. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few bent frames, and every coupler will have to be checked for damage.

Regarding liability of malfunctioning RR crossing warning equipment, it's my understanding the RR's don't own it, it's the municipality that owns the road that owns and maintains the crossing warning equipment.

Regarding liability of malfunctioning RR crossing warning equipment, it's my understanding the RR's don't own it, it's the municipality that owns the road that owns and maintains the crossing warning equipment.
If that's true,

Why would the sign on the crossing at Downers Grove(IL) Main Street say:

If the gates are malfunctioning call BNSF at (can't remember the number but do remember the sign being there)? Shouldn't the sign then say call Downers Grove Police Department or whatever? Also when Metra has a signal problem on this line, it's always a BNSF Employee working on it! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back