Amtrak trains that do not have Freight on the back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I still go my watching the track thing going on. :D I am thinking about more trips that I want to take, but I want to maximize track watching opportunities from the rear. So just wondering which trains operate with no freight on the back?

Most, if not all short-distance trains do not have a baggage or express cars on the rear, but looking at the rear window would mean purchasing a Business Class ticket since most of the time that car is on the rear.

P.S. I think this topic may need to be moved Amtrak Rail Discussion board as it is not so much a trip report even though it is in regard to your trip Steve. :)

Amfleet said:
P.S. I think this topic may need to be moved Amtrak Rail Discussion board as it is not so much a trip report even though it is in regard to your trip Steve. :)
Done! :)

Do they still use that one Amtrak baggage car on the City of New Orleans? I remember that it always looked sort of Awkward trailing all alone behind the train. I have not traveled on it since 2001 though, so I dont know of any recent changes.

Every now and then an express car could be seen on certain San Joaquin runs especially at harvest time.

The Capitols and Pacific Surfliners in California never operate with freight. As tp49 said, I have occasionally seen an express car on the San Joaquins (usually 712).

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Do they still use that one Amtrak baggage car on the City of New Orleans?
I'd guess they probably do. Any baggage car on the bottom (with the exception of Palmetto bug and Three Rivers from NYP-PHL) is generally a mail car. Now there is a stipulation to what baggage cars can travel on the rear of a Superliner train (or any passenger car for that matter). The car must have tubular diaphragms, not solid, otherwise once the cars are coupled and you go into a turn, you will destroy the diaphragms on both cars. One of the things you must never do if you are ever working the yard is couple high cars to low, with both having solid diaphragms, otherwise you will be spending some time on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back