Amtrak trains to get 180 day notices after July 1s

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps an apology is asking a bit much, but I do think everyone here is entitled to some sort of explanation by the original posters (particularly some degree of validation of the Fed Ex package story) and perhaps the admission that the manner in which the info was conveyed was a bit overzealous.
I can pretty much agree with you on this. I wish Matt would put forth some explaination of his zeal on posting this thread and too the Fed Ex story.

I thought it was farfetched myself but withheld any personal criticism of him.

That should be his decision and not from the demands of some members.

However I feel that should he do so, it would only bring forth more of the same scorn as before.

To every extent, everyone has taken their own position on this thread and I doubt if anyone has changed that position. It may well be time to let this thread die and everyone take away lessons learned. If Matt does, good and fine.

If he doesn't, get over it.

Guest said:
AmtrakLoverAndHater said:
More than a week later and still no "news" eh~
Come on Guy...As another guest said,Get Over it...Please
Nah, this guy made too many proclamations and declared them as fact, going one step beyond most of the doomsayers who come around here every couple months insisting that Amtrak is done for.

What was in the FedEx packages? Who were these anonymous people "in the know" who knew about these 180 day notices?

OP has been on the boards several times since his "prediction" came and passed, and honestly I think he owes it to the community to explain himself after starting a thread like this. Frankly, I'm disappointed that Alan has not appeared to press BNSF to offer an explanation after all of this, and in fact deleted a thread where BNSF was pressed to explain himself. Having threads conclude in a matter such as this damages the credibility of this board, especially when a poster with a long track record and high post count comes on here unequivocably swearing up and done that Amtrak is doomed.

If the only reliable news we are going to get here are reposts of stories easily accessed by searching for "Amtrak" on Google, then what's the point?

Guest said:
More than a week later and still no "news" eh~
Come on Guy...As another guest said,Get Over it...Please
Nah, this guy made too many proclamations and declared them as fact, going one step beyond most of the doomsayers who come around here every couple months insisting that Amtrak is done for.

What was in the FedEx packages? Who were these anonymous people "in the know" who knew about these 180 day notices?

OP has been on the boards several times since his "prediction" came and passed, and honestly I think he owes it to the community to explain himself after starting a thread like this. Frankly, I'm disappointed that Alan has not appeared to press BNSF to offer an explanation after all of this, and in fact deleted a thread where BNSF was pressed to explain himself. Having threads conclude in a matter such as this damages the credibility of this board, especially when a poster with a long track record and high post count comes on here unequivocably swearing up and done that Amtrak is doomed.

If the only reliable news we are going to get here are reposts of stories easily accessed by searching for "Amtrak" on Google, then what's the point?
The purpose of this forum is the posting of items affecting Amtrak and exchangeing information and debateing it's merits along with supplying information about rail travel too the uninformed. Yes, the information he supplied has not come to pass and was so far without merit but so have other predictions by other members on other subjects and a howling for an apology was not demanded by a few other members.

I can't speak for Allen but I feel that he and Anthony allowed this thread to continue because it was barely within the bounds of a debate. As for the deleted reply it went beyond a mere pressing into a personal attack which is and should be against the forums rules. I have tried very hard to keep this reply within those bounds and in no way wish it to be taken as a personal attack.

However go ahead and have it your way and keep the crusade for an apology and the defender of this forums integrity going.

Frankly, I'm disappointed that Alan has not appeared to press BNSF to offer an explanation after all of this, and in fact deleted a thread where BNSF was pressed to explain himself. Having threads conclude in a matter such as this damages the credibility of this board, especially when a poster with a long track record and high post count comes on here unequivocably swearing up and done that Amtrak is doomed.
With respect, my job as moderator is not to decide who is telling the truth and who might be lying. My job as moderator is to remove posts that have nothing to do with Amtrak, posts that attack another member of the board, ensure that topics are posted in the correct place, and if necessary initiate and/or stimulate conversation on the board.

Additionally because I happen to be rather well versed in most things concerned with riding Amtrak, I often respond to many first timer questions and even questions from regulars when I feel qualified to offer an idea or opinion.

But under no circumstances is my job to force anyone to prove something or to explain their actions. Even if I were to decide that someone was lying or was mislead into posting untruths, I can't force them to post if they doesn't want to. Heck, I can't even ban them from posting if I decided that they were lying. The best I could do would be to delete any future posts from them.

As to the thread that did push BNSF to answer, it was removed because it was a personal attack on him. If someone wants to politely post a serious question to BNSF that is acceptable. I haven't closed this thread where several people have pushed BNSF to explain himself and his report. But if the post resorts to name calling, it will go in the trash can just like the last one did. We will not have dog fights, cat fights, and general bad manors around here, since there are far too many under 18 railfans who should not be subjected to that. And I suspect that even some of our older members have no desire for trash talk either. I know a few who have personally told me that they enjoy coming here, as opposed to other boards that allow topics to deteriorate into nothing but name calling.

Finally, to my knowledge, Anthony created this board simply to be able to discuss all things Amtrak, as well as to provide a place for first timer's to come and ask questions from those with a knowledge of riding Amtrak. To my knowledge, it was never created as the end-all place to get Amtrak information, much less 100% correct Amtrak information. It is not an official Amtrak site, Amtrak has no connection with this site, so therefore anything posted on here (like most other internet BB's) should always be taken with a grain of salt.

We do try very hard to provide accurate information, and most times I think that we do succeed, but I'm sure that there have been times where someone accidentally got the wrong information from here.

Alan, with logic trains (pun intended) like that, you ought to be a politician.

With respect, my job as moderator is not to decide who is telling the truth and who might be lying. My job as moderator is to remove posts that have nothing to do with Amtrak, posts that attack another member of the board, ensure that topics are posted in the correct place, and if necessary initiate and/or stimulate conversation on the board.
And

But under no circumstances is my job to force anyone to prove something or to explain their actions. Even if I were to decide that someone was lying or was mislead into posting untruths, I can't force them to post if they doesn't want to. Heck, I can't even ban them from posting if I decided that they were lying. The best I could do would be to delete any future posts from them.[\QUOTE]
And

And I suspect that even some of our older members have no desire for trash talk either. I know a few who have personally told me that they enjoy coming here, as opposed to other boards that allow topics to deteriorate into nothing but name calling.[\QUOTE]
Amen....Amen.....and Amen, Allen

I thought this thread died a couple of days ago. If it didn't die, it sure is smelling overripe and needs buried

Has anyone sniffed out a grain of truth in this, or was it just more balderdash from BNSF_1088?

The Metropolitan said:
sechs said:
Has anyone sniffed out a grain of truth in this, or was it just more balderdash from BNSF_1088?
Most Recent Report I can find on Amtrak from today's Philly Enquirer. Only mentions a possible truncation of the Sunset, but nothing else...

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/15054078.htm/
While it neither supports BNSF's original statement and it is not yet law, you missed the part about a bill coming up for a vote that would let the White House kill long distance, depending on just what performance indicators are in this bill. And let's not forget that the White House has been very good at twisting Amtrak's numbers. Anyone remember Mr. Mineta's "no one rides the trains" statement?

Here's the quote:

The bill gives the Bush administration authority to renegotiate the terms of Amtrak's $3.5 billion-plus debt and, if it gets favorable terms, assume responsibility to pay it off. It would also permit the executive branch to drop long-distance routes that lose money and fail to meet other performance measures.
IMHO, there is no way that this power should be given to the executive branch.

sechs said:
I constantly have my eyes and ears open, however, it has been very quiet lately around the OBS sector of Amtrak! Nothing from any contacts lately other than a few things regarding the outsourcing issues. For now though, as earlier mentioned no news is GOOD NEWS!! OBS...

AlanB said:
The Metropolitan said:
sechs said:
Most Recent Report I can find on Amtrak from today's Philly Enquirer. Only mentions a possible truncation of the Sunset, but nothing else...

While it neither supports BNSF's original statement and it is not yet law, you missed the part about a bill coming up for a vote that would let the White House kill long distance, depending on just what performance indicators are in this bill. And let's not forget that the White House has been very good at twisting Amtrak's numbers. Anyone remember Mr. Mineta's "no one rides the trains" statement?

Here's the quote:

The bill gives the Bush administration authority to renegotiate the terms of Amtrak's $3.5 billion-plus debt and, if it gets favorable terms, assume responsibility to pay it off. It would also permit the executive branch to drop long-distance routes that lose money and fail to meet other performance measures.
IMHO, there is no way that this power should be given to the executive branch.
Hmmm thanks Alan. OBS...

The Metropolitan said:
sechs said:

And while it might not be the doomsday prediction of BNSF, this article does provide a statement that support's BNSF's statement that Amtrak is indeed working on a plan that will at the very least result in some cuts on the LD's.

I quote:

In addition, Laney says Amtrak will likely release a proposal for reconfiguring long-distance national routes this fall that could reduce or eliminate routes that don't make economic sense.
That statement is too vague to decide just how bad it might be, but it does nonetheless indicate that changes are coming. The question is, will it be changes that this country can live with or will it be the kind of changes that the White House seems to want? :unsure:

I think that we're all familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf too many times.

We all know the wolves are out there. Although a reminder can be helpful, you can get too much of a good thing.

sechs said:
I think that we're all familiar with the story of the boy who cried wolf too many times.
We all know the wolves are out there.  Although a reminder can be helpful, you can get too much of a good thing.
When One eats crow, it's easier with the feathers removed.....

Guest said:
Let's try to move away from these sorts of posts in this thread. There has been ample expression of doubt to counter the strong announcement of service change. I am keeping this thread open on the off chance that follow-up, constructive conversation can be had, such as Alan's post about the bill. Posts that don't contribute anything except further confirmation of doubt don't do a whole lot for the substance of the topic, IMHO. :)

Anthony said:
Guest said:
Let's try to move away from these sorts of posts in this thread. There has been ample expression of doubt to counter the strong announcement of service change. I am keeping this thread open on the off chance that follow-up, constructive conversation can be had, such as Alan's post about the bill. Posts that don't contribute anything except further confirmation of doubt don't do a whole lot for the substance of the topic, IMHO. :)
Anthony....I agree but that post was in reponse to the contuned replys of some on the original subject with the Boy crying wolf example. There seems to be another new dig every few days.

What I suggested was When or if some of these things BNSF posted comes true, there will be some crow to be eaten for sure.

It is also interesting to know that Amtrak issued a notice of confidentiality on June 28th. It threaten termination to anyone who released Amtrak information to any unauthorized person.

Guest said:
It is also interesting to know that Amtrak issued a notice of confidentiality on June 28th. It threaten termination to anyone who released Amtrak information to any unauthorized person.
Here we go again! Rumor mongering is alive and well at Amtrak Unlimited.

Guest said:
that's odd...I didn't get one, nor did anyone else I know who works for Amtrak...

Anthony said:
I am keeping this thread open on the off chance that follow-up, constructive conversation can be had, such as Alan's post about the bill. Posts that don't contribute anything except further confirmation of doubt don't do a whole lot for the substance of the topic, IMHO.
Working on the premise that ostensibly off-topic posts wil redeem this thread is fairly ridiculous. If you're not going to let members express their opinions on the topic of the thread (even if it is "rinse and repeat"), then you might as well send this off to the locker.

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
No I missed this one. Thanks for the link. I will say for sure it appears all is in line regarding my observations over the last couple of years, Sam! I will forward some better details of my comments to you in a PM. I don't feel it is time to discuss that in full just yet. OBS...
I just read this comment here posted well after July 3... clearly there is no issue of an NDA here as a PM was sent with the details... I cannot for the life of me understand why someone publicly announce that they have information unfit for public consumption... especially in the context of this thread.

BNSF_1088, why do you keep revisiting this thread and completely ignore the 9 previous pages of hoo-ha over the rumor? Explain yourself. It's obvious a fair amount of folks feel that its way past due.

TransAtlantic said:
Guest said:
that's odd...I didn't get one, nor did anyone else I know who works for Amtrak...
Actually, it's true. PRR, it wasn't rumor mongering. Amtrak's Security Information Center did indeed release an internal notice to employees regarding confidentiality of information on June 26th (okay, not the 28th, but perhaps it was a typo) -- notice #06-04.

The notice said that "discipline, or in certain cases, dismissal" is warranted for "unauthorized dissemination of confidential information."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back