Amtrak Vacations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

K.C.

First of all, thak you all for your replies to my earlier questions. (My family of six will ride on Coast Starlight in July.)

I've just received the "original confirmation" in the mail from Amtrak Vacations and am surprised to see I "ACCEPTER" the "Trip Proteciton Option." What is that!!??

I couldn't get a hold of the travel agent who made my reservation but left a message and hope she'll care to return my phone call.

Another agent said that this agent's been in the industry for a long time, and that there's a "big note" there saying she went over all the details, including the "Trip Protection Option." No, she did not!!

She said that with 25% off special, the tickets aren't refundable. Later she mentioned if I canceled I couldn't get my money back but would get a travel certificate.

She didn't explain much about the sleep compartments. She mentioned that meals are included but didn't say anything about meal "vouchers" (I'll get four, not five. Just knew this yeaterday).

She didn't tell me about the transportation between the depot and the hotel. (I called yesterday and asked.) She didn't say anything about the city tour (time and duration.)

AND certainly she did NOT ask me if I'd be interested in the "Trip Protection Option"! I would have asked her about the coverage and the price if she'd tried to sell me this extra. (I calculated and it costs about $200 for my group. They don't show any breakdown though.)

I wish they had recorded the conversation this travel agent and I were having. When I called back just an hour ago, I was told "there is a NOTE...She must have goen over this with you..." I don't think anyone on the other end would believe me.

I might have appeared inexperienced and uninformed but I'm not stupid. My hearing is fine too.

I'm very angry and wondering what I can do. This is totally unethical. Is it also illegal?

What would you do?

p.s. The confirmation sheet has no agent's name, no phone number (toll free, toll, or direct line, NONE).

call 1-800 -USA- RAIL..ask to be transfered to customer service..explain to them you are a first time customer, tell them all the troubles you have had. These people are really nice..I'm sure they will make it up to you some how. Just explain the situation in a nice way and tell them how frustrated you are. My bet is you will get a credit voucher, or upgraded or something. Good luck enjoy the trip. Louis

Amtrak Vacations is NOT actually Amtrak - they are a travel agency specializing in Amtrak travel. If you cannot reach a supervisor willing to make it right for you at Amtrak Vacations, I would then try calling 800-USA-RAIL and seeking their advice, but I doubt there is actually too much they can do from their end since they are not actually Amtrak Vacations. :unsure:

Also, did you figure out what you're going to do in regards to the sleeping space? Still share the family room or purchase another standard room?

Actually I want to cancel the whole thing since it hasn't been pleasant to me. I don' t know how much it'll cost me if I do so though.

I emailed Amtrak and they replied within an hour and gave me a name and phone number to Amtrak Vacations' customer service.

I'll wait for the travel agent to return my call before I call their customer service.

What makes me so angry is that she didn't ask me and I never agreed to buy any trip protection option. I'm not totally uninterested in such travel insurance but I have to hear an offer or solicitation first and then an explanation of coverage and price. I also feel frustrated in that no other agents at that travel agency would believe one of them has lied or cheated. It's my words against those of someone who's senior and experienced "in the industry."

Thank you for your replies!

Hi KC,

Sorry bout all the problems. Sounds like what I went through with the airlines last year :angry:

I would take the advice of one of the posters and start out by being reasonably nice--but firm. The travel agency, not Amtrak, is to blame, remember. don't miss out on a nice train trip cuz of an idiot at a travel agency. Instead, show your displeasure, and then if need be, threaten with legal action (works great in America, doesn't it!).

Thank you for your information and encouragement!

I did find Amtrak Call Center nice and quick. I wish their contractual travel agency was courteous and efficient too. The several travel agents I talked to didn't appear as knowledgable, or helpful as I'd hoped.

I've long heard about Amtrak's great trains and wanted to try them at least once. Although I'm very unhappy with the booking process and unexpected hidden charges, I know it's not Amtrak's fault. In fact, I hope Amtrak will continue running and more people will ride on it.

I don't like driving. I'd rather not flying. It's a shame that the US didn't put more attention on developing rail for communting and leisure travels.

KC,

I would certainly try the nice, polite, courteous approach with Amtrak Vacations first, and go up the chain a ways on this. At least get a supervisor if the front line people won't help. I would certainly point out to the supervisor, that if this employee was so good at doing her job "then how could she book six people into a room that even Amtrak can't." I know this for a fact, since when I took my recent trip I had seven people in two rooms.

I had booked both a family room & and standard room. My breakdown was three adults, three children, and one baby. Plus I was speaking with an Amtrak agent who is an expert at this. How do I know she was an expert? I'm a member of Amtrak's guest rewards program, which is somewhat like the frequent flier programs that airlines offer. However, I ride so often that I'm in their select or premium program. I get a special number to call that the general public and regular members don't get. Amtrak uses their best people to staff this special phone number.

In any event, every time she tried to put five people into the standard room, the computer rejected it. It kept telling her that the maximum for that room was four, and that was with a baby. Additionally I was using up some of my points, so I wasn't paying for anyone. The whole thing was being comped and she still couldn't put five people into the family room. I was on the phone for almost a half hour with her, while she apologized profusely that it wasn't working. She even went and got her supervisor and he couldn't get the computer to put five people into the family room.

So there is no way that this travel agency that uses the Amtrak Vacations name should have been able to put six people into that family room, especially when there are three adults. That alone should testify to the fact that this agent didn't do her job properly. She didn't even do this part of her job right and properly explain that this room is too small for your party. Additionally she violated Amtrak's rules for that room. Therefore not only did she not do this part right, she never ever explained to you about the insurance. There is no way that you fell asleep for both parts of this conversation.

If that doesn't work then I would try talking to Amtrak again and get a supervisor on the line. They may not be able to help get the money for the insurance back, but maybe they would take pity on you and give you the standard room for a discount or even free.

Finally if that fails, then I would appeal to your credit card company. Get their help in appealing this. Tell them that you are willing to pay for the overall vacation, but you are refusing the amount for the insurance that you didn't order. Most companies will do this for you. Send them all of the facts, including the fact that she was so good at her job that she booked you into a room that Amtrak says you can't fit into.

The credit card company, especially if you were lucky enough to use American Express, but even most Visa & MasterCard companies will want Amtrak Vacations to prove that they asked you. Proof would come in the form of the fact that most companies if they are smart recorded this conversation. In fact I believe in some states, they are actually required by law to have a tape of you agreeing to this extra insurance charge. I'm not sure if the state that Amtrak Vacations is in has this law or not.

However I do think that you should try to fight this to the hilt.

Sadly while my caution may be too late now, I would say that if you do return to Amtrak in the future, just book things on your own. Call Amtrak or use their website to book your train travel. Watch for their sales, especially at the start of the new year. They usually offer a couple of different sales during Jan, Feb, & March.

Then go and take care of your hotels and other things via the Internet or by direct bookings. You'll probably save money in the long run and you are far less likely to have this type of aggravation and nonsense.

Good luck and I hope that you still have a great trip. :)

Ps. I forgot to mention that if the first two things don't work, that is working with Amtrak & Amtrak Vacations. Then in addition to going to the credit card company I would also contact the Better Business Bureau in both your state and in the state where the travel agency that runs Amtrak Vacations is incorporated.

They may not like having complaints registered against them and may actually respond to you when the get the complaint from the BBB. Again be sure to tell the whole story to the BBB's, including her overbooking the room. This is a fact that the BBB's can confirm by looking at your reservation paperwork and then contacting Amtrak for the maximum capacity of the family room. The more incompetent that you can make the agent look, the better chance you have of winning.

If she couldn't get the room right, and you can prove that, then you have a stronger argument that she also didn't tell you about the insurance even thought she says she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back