Amtrak Website and 3 people in Superliner Bedrooms

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compuwriter

Train Attendant
EVERYWHERE you look for information on the bedrooms it says it will hold up to 3 people. However, when we tried to add a grandchild to our existing reservation, we were told we could not do that if they weighed more than 40 pounds. When I questioned this, I was told it was because they would be sharing the bottom bunk with somebody else that was the weight limit. Just an FYI for you for your trip planning.

Call back and try again with a different agent if you really want to do it. It would be tight with two people on the bottom bunk, but if one is a child, it should be OK.

I was never told that and I'm traveling with my 7yr son and 6yr daughter. They both weight about 46 pounds each..we have a bedroom on the Superliner this coming June. I plan on sleeping with my daughter on the bottom bunk and my son on the top...I can't see why they wouldn't allow that??

I did do that and managed to get it booked with another agent. I confess I was about ready to call it a day and just take a plane but we love train travel and wanted our grandchild to have the experience of a long distance trip. Gut feeling is we will end up with one person in the top bunk and the other two sleeping in the recliners that make up the couch. Still a bit better than coach and we will get lots of "brownie points" with the child!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice though!

Call back and try again with a different agent if you really want to do it. It would be tight with two people on the bottom bunk, but if one is a child, it should be OK.
Indeed, I've never had any trouble booking the 3 of us into a bedroom. Alexander's 8 and usually take the top bunk, Amy and I don't have a problem sharing the bottom. I suppose if we were ever to add a 4th to the family then it would have to be dual-roomette time...

I was never told that and I'm traveling with my 7yr son and 6yr daughter. They both weight about 46 pounds each..we have a bedroom on the Superliner this coming June. I plan on sleeping with my daughter on the bottom bunk and my son on the top...I can't see why they wouldn't allow that??
I thnk it is because your children are younger that it did not come up. Our grandchild is 12. I hope you have a great trip. They are such a good age for an adventure!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just depends on which agent you get. My parents and I always travel 3 in a bedroom (we'll be on the LSL in a bedroom in a week). Some of the agents give us trouble about it, but always back down when we tell them we've done it before and we know it's a bit of a squeeze to get three in a room. Has nothing to do with weight either, my parents share the bottom bunk, so that's about 250 lbs with the two of them together, and I'm 17 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 195 (I take the top bunk).

Just depends on which agent you get. My parents and I always travel 3 in a bedroom (we'll be on the LSL in a bedroom in a week). Some of the agents give us trouble about it, but always back down when we tell them we've done it before and we know it's a bit of a squeeze to get three in a room. Has nothing to do with weight either, my parents share the bottom bunk, so that's about 250 lbs with the two of them together, and I'm 17 years old, 6 feet tall and weigh 195 (I take the top bunk).
We also have never had problem booking three in a Bedroom. However with four or five, (which we often have) we either add a roomette, or a another bedroom. And if a second bedroom, we ask that they be together, and the partition between be opened.

I believe that the bottom bunk in a bedroom is only 36" wide. It will fit two slender adults (tightly) or one adult and a small child but don't expect loads of room. If I were traveling with two small children I would request another sheet and put them head to toe in the bottom bunk and use the top bunk for myself. If money is no issue then the bedroom suite is the ticket.

My family and I (wife, 6 y/o and myself) traveld the Empire Builder from CHI to Pasco Washington and we did the dual roomettes and it worked perfectly. We had rooms 13 and 14 which are lower level in front of the family room. We were very lucky to have a great family in that room and the two daughters played and watched movies the whole time. On the return trip we decided to go with a bedroom, and after 1 night (we boarded @ about 0200) we asked the attendant if we could move to the roomettes, and were accomodated. We've learned the bedroom is way to small and cramped. The bathroom in the room was what we thought we would love, but immediately hated...The dual roomettes were perfect for us and we will use them on every trip.....

How much to the seats that make up the sofa recline? Are they similar to the seats in coach? Just doing some worst case planning.

How much to the seats that make up the sofa recline? Are they similar to the seats in coach? Just doing some worst case planning.
They don't really recline. They get pulled out and become flat, like Ryan said, and then a light weight mattress is placed on top with sheets, blankets and some pillows to make the bottom bed. So if you are standing in front of the sofa, the bottom of the sofa, where you sit, would get pulled toward you and the back of the sofa comes down flat.

I've booked 3 adults in a Superliner bedroom without difficulty, but I had to do it over the phone. My partner and I took the bottom bunk and our friend/co-worker who traveled with us took the top bunk.

You used to be able to book online, 3 people in a bedroom. Too often passengers then complained about the size of the room. I just read one today. You can still book 3 people in a bedroom you simply have to speak to an agent to do so. All passengers booked into a bedroom are entitled to meals in the dining car, that's never changed.

Thanks! The description on the website made it sound like each section of the sofa reclined by itself. I knew it made the "flat" bed, but I thought there was also an option to use each half of the sofa in a "LaZy-Boy" fashion. I appreciate the clarification folks.

Thanks! The description on the website made it sound like each section of the sofa reclined by itself. I knew it made the "flat" bed, but I thought there was also an option to use each half of the sofa in a "LaZy-Boy" fashion. I appreciate the clarification folks.
While I'm not sure that you'll find it to be comfortable, the seats actually have 3 positions. Fully up, halfway down, and flat. And the coach is made up of two sections, so each section moves indepenently of the other. The issue is that unlike an recliner, only the seat/bottom portion and the back portion move. The headrest remains fixed to the wall.

So if you recline the seats to the halfway position, you might be able to sleep partially sitting up. You'll have to use your pillow in the hole between the head rest and the top of the now partially reclined seat, but it could work. Ask your attendant to show you the halfway position, or try it yourself as it's really not all that hard. There is a metal bar across the front of the seat and to one side is a metal pedal. Step on the pedal to release the lock and push the seatback down while stepping on the pedal.

It will go to the halfway position and lock. If you want it fully down, then you pull the bar up and push the seatback all the way down. Reverse things to return the seat fully upright.

While I'm not sure that you'll find it to be comfortable, the seats actually have 3 positions. Fully up, halfway down, and flat. And the coach is made up of two sections, so each section moves indepenently of the other. The issue is that unlike an recliner, only the seat/bottom portion and the back portion move. The headrest remains fixed to the wall.

So if you recline the seats to the halfway position, you might be able to sleep partially sitting up. You'll have to use your pillow in the hole between the head rest and the top of the now partially reclined seat, but it could work. Ask your attendant to show you the halfway position, or try it yourself as it's really not all that hard. There is a metal bar across the front of the seat and to one side is a metal pedal. Step on the pedal to release the lock and push the seatback down while stepping on the pedal.

It will go to the halfway position and lock. If you want it fully down, then you pull the bar up and push the seatback all the way down. Reverse things to return the seat fully upright.
Many thanks! It sounds like we will have quite a few options for getting reasonably comfortable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back