Amtrak website/app issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I try to open Track Your Train I get "Internal Error" (No Exception to Report) with a bunch of other computer jargon below it.
Is this my computer or Amtrak? Would appreciate any help from computer techs to clear this up. Thanks

It's not you. It's been like that for a couple of days now.

I guess the silliest thing about Amtrak's website is that you can't print your ticket (as far as I can tell). You can resend the email with the PDF of the ticket to yourself as a workaround, but you can't get the PDF directly from the website. The view in My Trips is fine to view, but click Control-P to print and that is not good. As for the phone app, not everyone can print from their phones.

As a further grumble, the My Trips display shows all the amenities you're not getting on your ticket, as if you are getting them: Bicycle, Pet, Seat Selection, Quiet Car.

By way of gentle contrast: airline and hotel websites.

Not the most important thing for the NRP Corp to fix, and probably not news to anyone here, at least those of us who still print things. Perhaps Amtrak is actually ahead of the game in its app-and-email Weltanschauung (world-view). Come on, if you've read this far, you probably want some Kant and Hegel to sooth your winter blues.

There seems to be a technical issue with the Amtrak website (and app). I've entered my AGR number and so on, but it stubbornly refuses to log in. I'm fairly sure that I have upgrade cards to "burn" that're expiring in February, but the site isn't letting me log in so I can pull said upgrades. (The app seems to be having its own issue - I think it's missing a few of my upgrade cards, and it says it can't access my profile, either.) Is anyone else having issues?

There seems to be a technical issue with the Amtrak website (and app). I've entered my AGR number and so on, but it stubbornly refuses to log in. I'm fairly sure that I have upgrade cards to "burn" that're expiring in February, but the site isn't letting me log in so I can pull said upgrades. (The app seems to be having its own issue - I think it's missing a few of my upgrade cards, and it says it can't access my profile, either.) Is anyone else having issues?
Yeah, there might be a bug right now. Just tried my usual login and I got an error message I have never seen before.

I just got through attempting to purchase a round trip ticket, on the Amtrak website, for a summer trip from Portland, Oregon to Whitefish, Montana. I put in the "from and to" information as well as a date. All I could get was a frozen screen. I hope they get the problem solved before my trip in July.

PS: I just tried, again, and I did get schedule times and price suggestions. However, when I tried to click the "continue" button, at the bottom, I once again got a frozen screen.

I've been trying to make a reservation for a June round trip between Philly and Lancaster. Every time I get to the end and click Purchase, I get the moving train symbol, the word "Loading," and then it logs me out. I tried Firefox and Edge, both of which I have used numerous times to make online reservations. I tried at least five times. Then I tried Julie. I was doing OK till I gave her a voucher number, which she couldn't understand (the website accepted it). She switched me to waiting for an agent, but the predicted 10-minute wait turned into 20, and I gave up. I tried making the purchase using my phone, but I couldn't even log in. For half an hour it said to wait, it was processing my request. Is anybody else having trouble?

If I can't buy the tickets online, I plan to be in Philly this week and can buy the tickets at 30th St. if they will process our voucher. If not, I'll try calling the Guest Rewards number and use points.

It sure has been frustrating.

I sent a message via Contact Us on the Amtrak website, but that usually takes weeks to get a reply.

If I can't buy the tickets online, I plan to be in Philly this week and can buy the tickets at 30th St. if they will process our voucher. If not, I'll try calling the Guest Rewards number and use points.
Definitely call Amtrak Guest Rewards. You don't have to be using points, though of course you can. And they will apply your voucher, no problem. I've gotten to the point where I don't even bother trying to book online or via agents rustled up by Julie. Just be sure to have your AGR number handy when you call.

I will call Guest Rewards soon when I have plenty of time. I've generally gotten good help from them but sometimes with a long wait. And I got a fast reply from Amtrak:

"We are currently experiencing technical difficulties with our site. We are aware of the problem and are currently working to resolve this issue. Please keep in mind Amtrak does recommend Google Chrome as the web browser to use while navigating our website."

Lately when I open Chrome I get a message about ad choices or something and the screen seems to freeze.

Also, I've done some web work, and one of the rules for developers is to check their websites for compatibility with major browsers.

I called Guest Rewards and got the reservation within a few minutes. The friendly, helpful agent said I had two reservations not paid for. She canceled one, applied the voucher, and pointed out that the flex fare for train 42 was only $3 more than the saver fare, so we opted for the flex fare.

Before calling, I tried making the reservation via the Amtrak website using Chrome. The screen wasn't freezing, just the Chrome browser. It was demanding a response about ads, but the demand was down off the bottom of my computer screen, and I couldn't continue or open a new tab without responding. Edge sometimes demands responses too. That's why I switched to Firefox. Anyway, same deal with the Amtrak website: clicked Purchase and it logs me out.

Hi. My name is Steve. While I have been receiving digests for some time, this is my first post here.

I am having trouble viewing the Amtrak website using both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome. I am running Windows 11 on a Gateway laptop.

My problems:
1. Using Edge, the banner covers up the username field of the Rewards login, preventing me from entering my user info.
2. Using Chrome, the pop-up window displaying reservation information is fixed, so, when I am looking at a route, I cannot see the bottom of the window.

Is anyone else having these problems? If so, what are the workarounds?

sjl

Hi. My name is Steve. While I have been receiving digests for some time, this is my first post here.

I am having trouble viewing the Amtrak website using both Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome. I am running Windows 11 on a Gateway laptop.

My problems:
1. Using Edge, the banner covers up the username field of the Rewards login, preventing me from entering my user info.
2. Using Chrome, the pop-up window displaying reservation information is fixed, so, when I am looking at a route, I cannot see the bottom of the window.

Is anyone else having these problems? If so, what are the workarounds?

sjl
Just as a general suggestion, set the web browser to full screen and try reducing the zoom level in 10% increments.

I'd like to buy a Surfliner ticket in advance for convenience and know my departure date but cannot be precise as to the exact time I will arrive at LAX station.

If I were to book the mid afternoon train (3:13 pm) but missed it, would my ticket be automatically valid for the evening train at (7:13 pm) ?

Thanks

I cannot log into my account on my Mac desktop at home or on my MacBook. I have tried Google and Safari. When I use Google and try to sign in, the language switches to Chinese or Japanese. I am not able to reset my password on Google Chrome.

I tried Safari. I could change my password, but then I could not log in. The spaces to enter my information never appeared.

Every time I look at the app, I see vague error messages. At least my booked trips show up there.

Everything was working fine a few weeks ago, but now it is a mess.

I cannot log into my account on my Mac desktop at home or on my MacBook. I have tried Google and Safari. When I use Google and try to sign in, the language switches to Chinese or Japanese. I am not able to reset my password on Google Chrome.

I tried Safari. I could change my password, but then I could not log in. The spaces to enter my information never appeared.

Every time I look at the app, I see vague error messages. At least my booked trips show up there.

Everything was working fine a few weeks ago, but now it is a mess.
Yup. It is thoroughly borked up. The iOS App can log in but cannot find my profile. The web app loses the AGR#/email id, and complains that one was not provided, but it was in the login screen.

It has been a long time since Amtrak ought to have fired their Amtrak App and web presence designer and found someone who can actually write some bug free code.

Back