Amtrak Windows

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never gotten a typical GPS receiver to work in a Viewliner sleeper. The windows, upon close examination, seem to be coated with what may be a UV film or something. I've not had the receiver problem on any other equipment, but then I've not seen all the Amtrak equipment.

I've recently graduated to a rather fancy GPS receiver, an E-Systems 500-series, which works well even in the Viewliner sleeper. The E-Systems GPS receiver has some radio measurement facilties that I ran the last time I was in a Viewliner (the Lake Shore Limited). The results showed that whatever is on the windows is an excellent shield for radio signals from Navstar satellites. Caution, the receiver costs about $2000, but it's part of my business, so a write it off at tax time.

My E-systems GPS receiver works everywhere. But for casual use, I have several different kinds of Magellan terminals, which all use a consumer-grade Trimble receiver. None of my Magellan units work in Viewliner sleepers, but they work fine in Superliners and Amfleets with no problems.

Why do I prefer Magellan terminals? I prefer the way Magellan handles maps and PC interfaces. This is, however, a personal matter, and you will find that you will prefer whatever you become used to.

As for the GPS receiver itself, just about all the consumer units use a Trimble receiver, making no difference between them as far as receiver specs go. They are all spread-spectrum RAKE correlators optimized for the Navistar satellites. The differences among the terminals are in the features, which have nothing to do with the actual receiver.

I've noticed in general with GPS units they work best by the windows (most likely because it's easier for signals to go through glass than steel). I've nver tried GPS in a Viewliner, but they work fine in Amfleets and Heritage to the best of my knowledge.

My E-Trex Legend worked fine on Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms from WV to CA this summer as long as it was placed near a window. It would lose signal from time to time due to heavy overhead foliage but it was little more than a nuisance. Never lost signal in Sightseer Lounge.

My reciever has a suction cup so I can stick right on the window. Thanks for everyones help and I'll let you know how it worked out when I come back from my trip in about 4 weeks.

I got the Delorme Earthamte. I had a little trouble at first as I was not getting any reception from my bedroom window. When I called tech support they said it was probably because the window had a UV protective coating. Sure enough when I opened the window I had a full satellite connection. It works really nicely, it even has speed! It'll pin point you right on the map, which has street names, bodies of water, and more! I have yet to try it in a moving vehicle, but so far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back