Amtrak Wolverine Hits Car West of Kalamazoo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is why above 110 mph impenetrable barriers are required. Something like:

07.jpg

or

3b-new.jpg

One would require a somewhat capable tank to make it past that.
Those are neat. :)

Would it be the responsibility of the city/county to install them, or does the railroad install them?

First you have to get a case by case approval for each proposed crossing from the FRA. Frankly I don't expect there to be any corridor with above 110mph speed that is not a sealed corridor. Installing and maintaining these is a costly proposition. I have seen them at the entrance to American Embassies and Consulates abroad, I have also seen them in use at Newark Airport at the road entry points to the air-side, by the traffic light at the exit from Parking Lot P4.

Last edited by a moderator:
First you have to get a case by case approval for each proposed crossing from the FRA. Frankly I don't expect there to be any corridor with above 110mph speed that is not a sealed corridor. Installing and maintaining these is a costly proposition. I have seen them at the entrance to American Embassies and Consulates abroad, I have also seen them in use at Newark Airport at the road entry points to the air-side, by the traffic light at the exit from Parking Lot P4.
Pop-up barriers such as this are a common sight in DC at government buildings and secure areas. Besides the upfront cost, the maintenance costs on these would likely be quite high compared to a quad gate. For a public road, the barrier could be raised and lowered multiple times per hour, which is a far higher rate in my experience in the typical government building or secured public facility. The wear and pounding from heavy trucks driving over the lowered barrier at road speeds would make them maintenance intensive. The barrier would also be 2 lanes wide in a typical road installation. which is much wider than a normal 1 lane wide barrier at a guard gate for the entrance or exit.

It would have to be a very specific set of circumstances where grade separation is not an option for 1 crossing on a 125 mph line for anyone to consider using a barrier like that for a grade crossing.

Tom is correct!

Another classic example is the " Security" @ the White House, supposedly the tighest in the world and a fanatic known to LE was able to jump the fence, run across the lawn and get inside the White House! There also have been small planes flown into the side of the White House and vehicles crashing through gates into the compound!!

There is no way to make anything 100% Secure! Stupid is as stupid does, so in the case of rail/vehicle accidents ( and trespassers and suicide by train) we can keep on trying to educate dumb people but its really a matter of common sense! ( and unfortunately such efforts are generally preaching to the choir!)

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, a pedestrian can still walk around or climb over.

Functional brains with good judgment would be much cheaper.

Tom
The purpose of the "impenetrable" raised barrier is not to stop pedestrians, but to block large trucks from smashing into the grade crossing and colliding with a train moving at 125 mph. A trespasser is just as dead in a 79, 110, or 125 mph collision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back