Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

blueberrypi

I will be taking Amtrak for the first time. The trip will be from Chicago to Emeryville. Any advice would be helpful. Also how do you upgrade for a good price?

How to get an upgrade at a good price would be ask the Conductor when you board. Tips

1. Bring a Pillow and a Blanket

2. Bring snacks to avoid the prices in the Diner and try to use the $ you save to one meal in the Diner.

3. Bring a CD Player or a Portable DVD player with head phones

4. Don't panic if your train is late the reason in most cases it is the Freight RR's are so clogged up that they have to put Amtrak in the siding to get around them but they do make their best effort. The CZ line has been plague with Signal Problems as of late.

5. Try to get 2 Seats alone if you can

6. Bring a camara to save the memories

7. Bring a Journal which helps past the time

8. Amtrak allows no more then 2 Carry on Bags excluding Purses, Lat top cases, Medical Equitment, etc.

9. Walk the train if you can don't sit in your seat

10. Have FUN!

If you want an upgrade i would go to you local Amtrak station and see what they rooms they have for the day of your departure and how much the extra the room would be i never go coach i like to have my own space so i can get work done on the train. :)

Back