AmtrakConnect Wi-Fi®

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kiwionatrain

Train Attendant
Has anyone noticed the wifi link under the plan,onboard section of the amtrak website ?

When you click the link it just directs you back to the onboard page...

I have read on some threads that Amtrak is trying a wifi system on the Starlight(?) has anyone heard anything about it going nation wide ?

And in a related Wifi question, does Skype video conferencing work on Amtrak's network given all of the restrictions on sites to prevent access to naughty sites and abuse of their available bandwidth.

And in a related Wifi question, does Skype video conferencing work on Amtrak's network given all of the restrictions on sites to prevent access to naughty sites and abuse of their available bandwidth.
If I had to guess, I'd say no as video chews up bandwidth.

But you never know. :blink:

First we took Train Surfliner 763 on Saturday morning from Santa Ana to Van Nuys. Wi-Fi Worked great.

We took the Coast Starlight Train 14 north from Van Nuys to Seattle leaving last Tuesday Apr 6. Wi-Fi worked until about 4pm then went intermittent until 6pm and died. Train crew had no information on how to reset it. The flyer had no phone number on it for tech support.

Does anyone have a phone number we can try when we have another problem?

Has anyone noticed the wifi link under the plan,onboard section of the amtrak website ?
When you click the link it just directs you back to the onboard page...

I have read on some threads that Amtrak is trying a wifi system on the Starlight(?) has anyone heard anything about it going nation wide ?

I think Skype would be hard to block, but it would also be pretty slow and choppy, so you'd be better off not using it. It's just a cell phone connection, split a bunch of ways between you and your fellow riders! Fine for web pages and email, but that's about it. The latency is higher than that of your typical terrestrial connection, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of wifi, Capitol Corridor updated its wifi page last month. Capitol Corridor has been trying to roll out wifi for some time with a trial and requests for proposals, etc. They decided to go with Amtrak when the national corporation came calling. Roll-out is expected to take 6-7 months when it begins in late 2010.

I mention Capitol Corridor because they address data-heavy connections:

A word of caution is that this system will not take kindly (read performance and speed) to becoming your platform of choice for watching streaming videos, listening to streaming audio, or downloading bit-torrent files.
The page goes on to state that all will have to share the free connection (including on-board services). It also warns that they have some sort of measures to "respond to those who don’t quite play fair."

It would be interesting to read what these measures are.

It is exciting to hear about wifi coming to Surfliners and Capitol Corridor. If it comes to Coast Starlight and Cascades, Amtrak's Pacific Coast services will be covered. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back