Amtrak's Cardinal.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AlanB said:
Last I knew, yes it did. And I haven't heard that it has been eliminated.
From the video and a photo that was posted over on Trainorders, the Cardinal did not have a baggage car. However, the timetable still shows the train as having checked baggage.

50/51 does not carry a full baggage car. the bags are worked out of the "lounge" area of the crew dorm. the way it was explaned to me was like this; the Card simply does not carry enough baggage to offset the cost of running a baggage car ;) stupid, but true

ryan

Amtrak Railfan said:
Does the Cardinal have the Dorm Lounge Car all of the time on the Train?
Yes, almost always. I'm guessing if there was an equipment failure on the dorm then either a replacement dorm, sleeper, or (in the worst case situation) a coach would be added.

Actually I do't think they can get away with a coach due to Union rules. Otherwise the Palmetto and Three Rivers wouldn't need OBS re crews en route. I'm 99% sure if the employees are to work an overnight trip they must have a room of some sort, whether in a revenue sleeping car or Dorm it doesn't matter.

It's entirely possible for power to be doubled up on any train. Many times when this occurs one of the two engines is just out of a rebuild or heavy maintenence. The second engine is used as a backup so that service will not be interrupted if the one engine fails. There is no regularity as to when this practice occurs.

battalion51 said:
Yes. Every train (except for the Acelas) used F-40's at one point in their life.
I could be wrong but I don't believe the Capitols have as CalTrans bought the F-59's for the service and had them on the property prior to running the first train.

BNSF_1088 said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
When was the last run for the Superliner Cars on the Cardinal?
I think they still do
No, they don't its a Viewliner/Amfleet/Heritage(/somtimes Horizon?) train. This was after a shortage from the Auto Train Derailment and years of deferred reparis.

The change happened almost immediately after the Auto Train derailment, within a week or two.

Thanks for that info it is to hard for me to keep up on all this stuff i use to be better at it but since i work for BNSF :p I just can't keep up anymore.Oh and being tied up in saving the Michigan trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back