Amtrak's Federal Train Route.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amfleet said:
AlanB said:
Yes, passengers can board the sleeper early in DC and Boston.  This is considered a privilege or a perk to allow them to go to bed early or take a shower if they want.  Since sleeping car passengers are paying extra for the room, Amtrak is giving them this extra privilege.
However since October and all the way into January of next year there will be no Sleeping Car on the Federal. :( Wonder if they will alowed pre-boarding of Business Class passengers.
Yes Amfleet, I forgot to mention that BC passengers also get to pre-board the train. In addition to pre-boarding priviledges, BC pax also get the bonus of being able to use the Club Acela Lounges in DC & Boston. They also get their breakfast included too.

In fact the BC pax and the sleeper pax use the same ex-metroliner Club Class car for their food service. The BC pax also sit in the Club car. There is another cafe car on the train for the coach passengers.

Amtrak Railfan said:
I think this is bad for the Passagers who travel on the Federal without a Sleeper Car. :( :( :(
Well you get what you pay for. If you pay extra, then you get some bonuses. That's the way life is.

Does sometimes the Federal have sometimes two AEM-7s or two HHP-8 on the Train from Boston MA to Washington DC?

Two AEM-7s are probably more likely to see, even though that the Federal doesnt seem like it would ever be long enough to truely warrent too, the timetable is very relaxed. Its possible to see an extra one on it I would suppose for a dead head move.

Two HHP-8s are also possible, though from what I understand it is pretty rare to see a double header HHP-8 train.

Is the Federal will have lots of Passagers on the Viewliner Sleeper Car tonight from Boston MA and Washington DC?

No it won't, because there is no sleeper on the Federal right now.

It's also safe to say that all of Amtrak's trains will be pretty busy today.

Well right now we have no confirmation that the Federal is even carrying a sleeper. While we do know that the 62014 was on 66-21, it is theorized by some that it was bound for Boston to go on the LSL. So until we can confirm that there is a sleeper on the Federal we don't know. But one could guess that the train will be fairly full tonight.

The Federal's Sleeper will not be added back on until March and that isn't guaranteed.

It isn't guaranteed to be March coming back earlier or later? And what's your source on this information?

Well I hadn't heard about the March date, however NARP has confirmed that there won't be any sleepers through January for sure.

battalion51 said:
It isn't guaranteed to be March coming back earlier or later? And what's your source on this information?
A good friend who is also an Employee Development Officer for Amtrak. This was reported on an internal report this past week.

Because Amtrak doesn't have any extra Viewliners to be able to give it two.

In fact right now Amtrak doesn't have enough Viewliners to even give the Federal one sleeper, which is why it's running without a sleeper.

No, at night the Amfood car stays open but they dont serve an actual dinner, if you want Im sure you can purchase a hamburg or any other food item of the sort in the food service car.

Breakfast might be a different story, especially for the first class and business class passengers they might serve them a breakfast, the likes of which that they have on the Three Rivers. I dont know for sure though.

P40 is correct, there is no official dinner on the Federal.

That's because, most people don't want to wait until 10:00 PM to have dinner, which is when the train leaves. If one is hungry though, then they can certainly buy burgers and other typical cafe foods.

Now for breakfast, first class and business class passengers get a meal similar to that served in first class on the Acela Express trains.

The Federal sounds like a pretty sweet operation on the NEC to me, I hear the Acela First Class food is very good! All the Federal needs is its Sleeper back!!

Someday I gotta take a trip on the NEC, jeez Id be happy for any Amtrak trip just about now! It will give me some inspiration for my new train layout.

Before Twilight Shoreliner changes it name to the Federal was the Twilight shoreliner had a Amfleet Twilight Lounge Car for the Passagers?

Yes it did, the twilight lounge was only for first class and business/custom class passengers.

Well, actually in 2001 it lost it's signature first class lounge and went to a Full Club/Cafe for use by all passengers, including those in Coach! So much for the premeir overnight train in the Northeast. That lasted about 2 1/2 years until the Federal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back