Amtrak's "FEDERAL"

• Thread starter Guest_Budd Metroliners
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_Budd Metroliners

Has anyone taken a ride on the Reading, I mean the FEDERAL? I'm taking it north from Washington, DC to NY Penn on Monday night. There is a scheduled 30 minute stop in Philly (at around 12:30am). I assume it is to pick up mail and whatnot? Anyhow, do you know if I can get off the train there to run and around and take photos for a few mins and then jump back on, or would something like that be frowned upon? Thanks.

I actually rode the very first Federal northbound from DC. It was a rather interesting trip, in part because half of Amtrak didn't seem to know that the Twilight Shoreliner had been replaced.

Sadly I can't speak to the layover in Philly, as I was sound asleep in my bed. I never even noticed that stop. I did wake up in NYP though.

My guess is that much like normal, Amtrak probably frowns upon you're leavng the train. However, if you are careful and pay attention to the station announcements, you can probably get away with it. Just be sure to re-board when they start sending the Philly passengers down to the platform.

If people can make a mad dash into DC's Union Station on Silver Service trains, then I'd bet you can do it in Philly on the Federal.

You might also want to check with the crew once you're on board the train or when you hit the plat in Philly.

The other saving grace could be time. If you are on time you will have at least until the scheduled time in the station, as you cannot leave before the advertised time unless it is so marked as discharge only. Checking with the crew is a wise idea, and get an assurance from them on your exact departure time.

Thanks. I had a great trip last night. Turns out the conductor announced that passengers may leave the train, and I did so. You can read all about my trip below (this was originally posted on SubTalk)

AMTRAK Train No. 66 "Federal" Overnight Service between Washington and Boston

Rail Sale Fare: $35

Consist: HHP-8, 6 Amfleet, Viewliner, 2 baggage

I sat in Coachclass Amfleet I #82082, second car behind the locomotive

My coach had an annoying rattling and squeaking sound coming from the left side overhead luggage rack at speeds over 70MPH.

Dp. Washington: ~10:02P 8/18/2003 (towards New Carrollton) [2 min late]

Max Speed between the above and below two stops: unknown

Dp. New Carrollton: unknown (towards BWI)

Max Speed: 110MPH

Dp. BWI: 10:30PM (towards Baltimore) [2 min late]

Max Speed: 92MPH

Dp. Baltimore: 10:50P (towards Wilmington) [2 min late]

Max Speed: I was sleeping

Dp. Wilmington: unknown (towards Philadelphia)

Max Speed: I was sleeping

Ar. Philadelphia - track 2: 12:00A [1 min EARLY]

I watched some roadrailers being shuffled around

I took photos of the HHP-8 and my coach

I bought a drink upstairs at Dunkin Donuts

I took a photo of the gate departure board

Dp. Philadelphia: 12:31A (towards Trenton) [ON TIME]

Max Speed: 98 MPH

Ar. Trenton: 1:12A

Dp. Trenton: 1:15A (towards Metropark) [6 min late]

Max Speed: 109MPH

Passing Hamilton: 88MPH

Passing Princeton Junction: 108MPH

Passing New Brunswick: 64MPH (lcl trk)

Passing Edison: 85MPH

Passing Metuchen: slowed down from 60MPH to 51MPH

Ar. Metropark: 1:39A

Dp. Metropark: 1:40A (towards Newark) [2 min late]

Max Speed: 80MPH

Passing Elizabeth: 55MPH

Passing N Elizabeth: 76MPH

Passing EWK: slowed down from 35MPH to 26MPH

Ar. Newark: 1:57A

Dp. Newark: 2:00A (towards New York) [ON TIME]

Passing Secaucus: slowed down from 73MPH to 50MPH

Entering the Portal: 54MPH (and accelerating)

Ar. New York: 2:16A [4 min EARLY]

Scheduled Departure time from New York: 3:15A

I took a reverse angle photo of my coach

I took a photo of the NJT Arrow III's on the adjacent track

I went upstairs

-------

Question: Is this train limited to 110MPH for some reason, and if so, why? Thanks. I will post photos tonight.

Budd Metroliners said:
Question: Is this train limited to 110MPH for some reason, and if so, why? Thanks. I will post photos tonight.
Perhaps someone else may confirm or deny this, but I think that the answer lies right in your trip report. I seem to recall hearing that the baggage cars are limited to a top speed of 110 MPH.

By the way, thanks for the mini-report and I'm glad that you had a great trip. :)

Here's the breakdown:

Acela Express- 150 mph

Amfleet and Horizon- 125 mph

Viewliners, Baggages, MHCs- 110 mph

Superliner- 100 mph

Roadrailers and Express Boxcars- 90 mph

Source Trains Magazine February 2003.

I agree, it was a nice report, glad you enjoyed your trip. :D

Besides its the Federal, its not like its an Express, if you put the hammer down to 125 MPH (lets say it was cleared to do so) it would arrive WAY to early at the stations and have very long dwells.

The Federal is like someone going for a fast paced walk on a race track, haha sorry thats the best description I can think of :p

P40Power said:
Besides its the Federal, its not like its an Express, if you put the hammer down to 125 MPH (lets say it was cleared to do so) it would arrive WAY to early at the stations and have very long dwells.
The Federal is like someone going for a fast paced walk on a race track, haha sorry thats the best description I can think of :p
It's more like running a 3 ft mile. Best one I can come up with. ;) Okay, I'll shut up. :ph34r:

Viewliner said:
Here's the breakdown:
Acela Express- 150 mph

Amfleet and Horizon- 125 mph

Viewliners, Baggages, MHCs- 110 mph

Superliner- 100 mph

Roadrailers and Express Boxcars- 90 mph

Source Trains Magazine February 2003.

I agree, it was a nice report, glad you enjoyed your trip. :D
Thanks. That was also confirmed by a friend of mine who has some employee handbook thingy. So now I know that if I want to do 125MPH, I have to avoid the trains with the viewliners and baggage cars.

Steve4031 said:
How did you determine the maximum speed on each segment?
Click on the thumbnail below to see :D

Let me just say that railfanning has never been the same for me since I purchased that baby. This was my first time using it on a non-subway train.

To see my entire album of photos from the trip, click on the image below:

I know for certain, clocked it myself, that I went 120mph on the northbound Crescent several times on New Year's eve, Dec. 31, 1983. Don't know what my power was but it was definately all heritage.It might have even been before the word "heritage" started being used....in which case, it was then, the equivalent of what later came to be called "heritage."

That trip was made in order to be in Times Square to ring in the new year 1984.

The FRA and Amtrak have probably set new speed restrictions for the Heritage cars since 1983. This is especially true after the Chase, MD derailment when there was a Heritage Coach at the end of the train, but the engineer was going over 125mph (even above the speed of the Amfleets I believe).

Wasnt the engineer in the Chase wreck like doing a hair over 130 at the time?

I dont see why having a Heritage coach at the end of that train that was in the wreck would prompt them to put speed restrictions on them, I mean that had nothing to do with the cause of the wreck.

Ok, the only trains that will do 125 are trains comprised exclusively of Amfleets (whether its I or II it doesn't matter) or Acela Express trains (obviously). At one time the state of Vermont explored converting a couple of Amfleets into baggage cars so that the train could achieve 125 on the corridor. A few of the Trainmen and Engineers drew up plans that included a smoking lounge, Conductors office and baggage room. The idea was obviously abandoned, but now that the Vermonter bug has no baggage car it achieves 125 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back