Amtrak's Keystone and Metroliner Trains.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It varies based upon time of day, weekend vs. weekday. Some run with only 3 cars others run with as many as 6 or 7 cars. There is no set, regular number of cars for Keystone trains.

Does the Metroliner Trains have lots of Passagers on the train during the Morning and Afternoon Peak Hours?

Well that is why they are called "peak" hours, thats when the trains usually have maximum ridership during the day.

During peak hours yes, during off peak no they are usually not full. The same is true for the Acela's also.

Most likely the NEC variety of the P42 (101-111). As an FYI, the 108 has been reported as having had its makeover in Beech Grove, along with the "upgrade" to Phase Vb. :(

My guess is that because they are state funded trains that the funding does not include enough to operate a cafe service, not that it is needed too badly, most keystone trips are rather short.

Actually I think that part of the problem is lack of cafe cars. Additionally I seem to recall reading somewhere that the Pennsy never ran those trains with cafe cars, so Amtrak just continued that practice.

I don't however think that it's related to funding issues. I don't think that the State of Pennsylvania contributes to the service. They have been providing funds to help upgrade the corridor from Philly to Harrisburg. Additionally I think that the state helps to fund the Pennsylvanian, but beyond that I believe that Amtrak pays for the Keystone service.

Operating subsidy for the Keystone Service is provided by Pennsylvania in addition to the grants for capital improvements on the Harrisburg line.

The Pennsylvanian was state supported train in prior incarnation. Either at or sometime before it was extended to Chicago and run as a freight train, PA 403,b support ended. As far as I know, the Pennsylvanian is still an Amtrak funded train.

Does sometimes the Keystone Service Trains have one P42 in front and one P42 in the back on the Train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back