Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh darn! I'll already have arrived in LAX. Gosh, maybe I'll hit it right sometime. Thanks though for the welcoming response. I just love this forum and the informed, helpful folks who share their knowledge so freely.

I know... I'm off topic!!

Oh darn! I'll already have arrived in LAX. Gosh, maybe I'll hit it right sometime. Thanks though for the welcoming response. I just love this forum and the informed, helpful folks who share their knowledge so freely.

I know... I'm off topic!!
Well, the Southwest Chief offers connections to the CL and LSL, so I think you're completely on topic.
default_smile.png

It's been said before, and I'll say it again. 435+100+1. Those are Amtrak's "Core customers".

If the Top Right Corner of the map wants to go it alone, fine. But not a dime from the rest of the country!
Yes, and that's why there will always be long distance trains in the mix, even without "fine dining" on board. It would be kind of hard to get the politicians to fund Amtrak if it only has utility for the NEC, Illinois, Michigan, California, Washington and Oregon.

I am in Economy Plus on United at this moment from Paris to Newark. I will say lunch today, a Thai curry dish, was better than dinner going east, which was an Indian style chicken. ( I thought the flight attendant called it Idiot Chicken, which she thought was funny ). That meal was pretty mediocre. The ice cream today was good, too. Not sure what the fare is in front of the blue curtain. Hated Paris Airport.
I flew E plus from Dulles to Beijing last November. I flew Economy home. I don't think UA Eplus gives you better food, just more legroom. The lunch/dinner out of Dulles (Asian style chicken with rice) was much more tasty than the pork with rice cooked up I n Beijing. The breakfasts (some kind of omelet with sausage of unknown meat source) was similar on both flights. The version cooked up in Beijing was inedible.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the news involving boxed lunch is like lunch given from a school cafeteria to a field trip

With the news involving boxed lunch is like lunch given from a school cafeteria to a field trip
In the first few years of Amtrak, kitchens were bad ordered so much that pax were served more than their annual quota of Col. Sanders, hard boiled eggs, and mass produced sandwiches supplied by restaurants along the route that were ordered as needed. I bet Amtrak had a full time staff just to coordinate such things.

Still happens, but not with that frequency.

Talked to the LSA at lunch today. Clearly the diner employees are seriously worried about losing their jobs.

I questioned her about the number of non sleeper passengers who eat in the diner. The LSA said that there are very few and said that she works the coaches at every meal encouraging the passengers to eat in the diner but with little results. She expressed the opinion that most coach passengers find the prices too high.

We were the last passengers to eat at lunch and she said that the total of coach passengers for breakfast and lunch today was 3.

It seems to me that profitability for food & beverage where almost all the revenue comes from sleeper passengers is an accounting issue. You can allocate the portion of the sleeper passenger revenue to cover the costs of the food service.

Below is our lunch - burger for me and mussels (with added wine) for my wife.

Very good on both counts.

IMG_5602.jpg

Talked to the LSA at lunch today. Clearly the diner employees are seriously worried about losing their jobs.

I questioned her about the number of non sleeper passengers who eat in the diner. The LSA said that there are very few and said that she works the coaches at every meal encouraging the passengers to eat in the diner but with little results. She expressed the opinion that most coach passengers find the prices too high.

We were the last passengers to eat at lunch and she said that the total of coach passengers for breakfast and lunch today was 3.

It seems to me that profitability for food & beverage where almost all the revenue comes from sleeper passengers is an accounting issue. You can allocate the portion of the sleeper passenger revenue to cover the costs of the food service.

attachicon.gif
IMG_5602.jpg
Thanks for the report JRR.

Well lets see how long it takes for someone to say throwing more money at it is a solution to get more coach passengers to eat in the dining car.
default_wink.png

attachicon.gif
IMG_5602.jpg
Stop! You're making me jealous!

Seriously, I'm glad that the remaining full service meals are still decent. But give Anderson some time and he'll "fix" that, too.

It was reported in the past -- in the Performance Improvement Plans -- that nearly 40% of dining car passengers on the Lake Shore Limited were, in fact, from coach.

The other trains had much lower coach usage of the dining cars.

Don't ask me why LSL coach passengers are happier to pay dining car prices -- maybe because many are from NYC or Chicago, which are very expensive cities to dine in. What matters is that *this is the train which really needs to have a dining car*, financially speaking.

And because he doesn't understand the business at all, *this* is the train where Anderson has deleted dining car service. It's grotesque and inexcusable. Anderson is flat-out incompetent, period, end of story.

Yep, he only cares about the bottom line. He could care less about the passengers. Just like taking inches odd seat pitch on Delta so they could charge a big fee to give it back. The airline industry makes multi-billions on bag fees, up charges on Premium coach seats, and change fees. Between TSA and the airlines, the flying passengers have been beat up. Now Anderson wants to do the same with Amtrak, cut everything and everyone possible leaving a trail of former passengers and employees in the dust.

(quoting Amtrak)

This change will contribute to improved financial performance and more contemporary service delivery on these overnight routes between the East Coast and Chicago at an estimated annual savings of $3.4M across both routes, some of which will be reinvested in the product.
Anderson is a brain-damaged idiot. The financial performance will go down the tubes. They're doing this to save $3.4 million per year? They'll lose more than that in revenue. First they lose all the coach revenue in the dining car, of course. Then they lose coach tickets from the people who were eating in the dining car; hard to estimate that. A typical sleeper ticket on the LSL can run $540. If Amtrak loses four sleeper passengers per train over this -- which they likely will -- I would guess the entire "cost savings" gets wiped out.

That 3 million in reduced costs is not insignificant when you're under a federal mandate to reduce F&B costs.
It is when you are reducing revenues faster than costs.
That's the underlying problem here. I'm not against a different method of providing food service -- arguably the traditional diner was excessively labor-intensive -- but this is just crap. I mean, they can't even get boiled eggs for breakfast? How much does that cost?

If the new meals are anything like the pictures from Portland, Oregon early in this thread, sign me up. Those look like reasonably healthy meals, and you won't have to sit with a bunch of strangers to get one.
The problem is: they aren't. Particularly the breakfasts, which contain *literally nothing I can eat*. At all.

I actually like the Portland boxed meals, the LSL Boston section boxed meals, the boxed meals available in the cafes on Empire Service, the cafe selection on the Downeaster... I could go on and on. But the proposed breakfast list on the LSL/CL is flatly unacceptable; it's worse than I get at cheap motels.

Yep, he only cares about the bottom line. He could care less about the passengers.
No, my point is that he DOESN'T care about the bottom line. His actions will HURT the bottom line. They're flat out stupid. They will reduce revenues faster than they reduce costs.

Is the savings for both routes combined, or each route? I can’t understand by how the release is worded.
Both combined. Cut total costs by $3.4 million. I'm pretty darn sure they'll cut revenues by more than that over LSL & CL together.

Hell, if they could cut costs by $6.8 million ($3.4 million each) I might even agree it was worth it, but no, this is a piddly savings which will only act to destroy revenue.

"Both combined. Cut total costs by $3.4 million. I'm pretty darn sure they'll cut revenues by more than that over LSL & CL together.

Hell, if they could cut costs by $6.8 million ($3.4 million each) I might even agree it was worth it, but no, this is a piddly savings which will only act to destroy revenue.

"
That's the issue. You can cut the costs to $0, and lose more revenue than the amount of costs that you were incurring.

Are you then better off? Obviously not. There is a complexity here that I cannot find my way through.

As I have said previously, without a full audit and examination of the costs and revenue being included in the F&B, one cannot be able to fully analyze the issue and even then, the question as to how the overall "bottom line" is being affected by the F&B service would still be a matter of debate and probably not readily discernible with any certainty.

Isn't the proposed breakfast pretty much the same as the Auto Train breakfast that has been served to all passengers - sleeper and coach - for years?

Isn't the proposed breakfast pretty much the same as the Auto Train breakfast that has been served to all passengers - sleeper and coach - for years?
Iirc the auto train at least included cereal. The set up on lsl and cl does not include cereal according to information provided.
A significant difference is that the Auto Train's scheduled arrival at its end point is around 9AM. The Capitol Ltd arrives in DC around 1PM--if it's on time.

Iirc the auto train at least included cereal. The set up on lsl and cl does not include cereal according to information provided.
A significant difference is that the Auto Train's scheduled arrival at its end point is around 9AM. The Capitol Ltd arrives in DC around 1PM--if it's on time.
And often arrives even before 9AM, FWIW.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back