Amtrak's Official Photography Policy

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Restricted Area.

Item 10: In service train cars.

Needs some clarity. I'm guessing you may not photograph on an in service car (ticketed pax excluded) and it's ok to take photographs of in service cars as long as you meet other restrictions.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's silly. That would mean you can't photograph in a sightseer lounge.
Nope. It says ticketed passengers are free to photograph on board as long as the onboard staff do not ask you not do.

Ticketed passengers on board trains may take photos or video record on a train when it does not interfere with passengers or crew and in accordance with any directions given by Amtrak onboard train personnel.

but tell that to the speical agents and the amtrak police who still go by there own rules and could care less about amtrak's own rules.

Is this something that a passenger with a camera should print out in case he or she runs into trouble while traveling?

Is this something that a passenger with a camera should print out in case he or she runs into trouble while traveling?
I certainly plan to print it out and carry it with me, and I would recommend that others do so too.

In emergency and/or special circumstances (for example, declared elevation of Homeland Security Advisory System to High or Severe - orange and red)
Has if ever been lower than orange since its inception... <_<

I certainly plan to print it out and carry it with me, and I would recommend that others do so too.
I now have a copy in a pocket of every piece of luggage I own, camera bag, computer backpack, and wallet. Overkill? A number may recall that I have some unpleasant experience in this area. This is info that should be more readily available to all Amtrak passengers. Along with all the other policies in the System Timetable for folks like us who use it, prominently displayed at stations, and perhaps available in brochure or flyer format in heavy traffic areas, e.g. ticket windows.

Does the platform rule apply to stations owned by other companies? (Newark Penn, New Rochelle, Stamford, etc.)

Unfortunately, it has been my observation that incompetent cops, (the ones that make up their own rules) HATE to be instructed in the law by civilians, particularly when the civilians are RIGHT!

Be gentle my friends.

In emergency and/or special circumstances (for example, declared elevation of Homeland Security Advisory System to High or Severe - orange and red)
Which shade of orange? :huh:

Crap, I didn't know we were under 2 types of threat warnings.

DHS Security Advisories.

March 11, 2009 - The United States government's national threat level is Elevated, or Yellow.

For all domestic and international flights, the U.S. threat level is High, or Orange.

Some train cop will claim that Amtrak needs to follow airline warnings...

Which shade of orange? :huh:

Crap, I didn't know we were under 2 types of threat warnings.

DHS Security Advisories.

March 11, 2009 - The United States government's national threat level is Elevated, or Yellow.

For all domestic and international flights, the U.S. threat level is High, or Orange.

Some train cop will claim that Amtrak needs to follow airline warnings...
Scapegoat?

We just printed copied of both, we will be taking the Crescent northbound and southbound next month.

We have made a few trips on Amtrak, including the Crescent. The only time we were accosted was on the Crescent at NOUPT. We wanted to go up to the head end and take a few photos of the engine. We were in coach - with our party of 7 others. I asked the conductor if I could do so, and he gave his permission. We went off the coach and began walking to the head end. The sleeping car attendant told us we couldn't pass (also identified himself as the conductor) We told him that the conductor in back told us we could go.

He then told us it was all right.

We went up front and took our photos and returned to our coach. Later in the diner, we found out he was not the assistant conductor, but a sleeping car attendant.

We took many photos on the train, and at several stops off the train. On other trips, we took many photos with no trouble.

Our only other episode was lase year at Union Station Chicago. While waiting for the CONO to board, we walked out into the Metro area. There were several police gathered together, we walked over to them and asked if we could take a photo pf the trains, they told us we could. We thanked them and took a few shots, then returned to the Lounge.

Well, the rules are plenty vague. As Whoos points out its not clear whether they object to taking pictures of or on an unoccupied train or of or on the train right of way. The rules give authority to the bulls to accost people who are acting suspiciously whatever that means, plus, apparently, those who are not acting suspiciously but who are reported to the bulls by others who may be even more paranoid than the bulls.

Its quite a simple thing to photograph surreptitiously these days. This is really a way for government to throw its weight around. Sure you can ask permission to take a picture of a public facility ---I always did while traveling through the communist block countries.

Well, the rules are plenty vague. As Whoos points out its not clear whether they object to taking pictures of or on an unoccupied train or of or on the train right of way.
I think that it's pretty clear that the "restricted area" list refers to places that you're not supposed to be, not things that you aren't allowed to take pictures of. If you took 4 (unoccupied trains), 9 (ROW) and 10 (in service trains) together as a list of things "thou shalt not photograph then it would be impossible to take a picture of the exterior of a train ever (well, I guess if somehow it could be occupied, but not in service, and not on a right of way, but that's pretty much impossible). Based on that, I think that it's pretty clear that you can photograph anything on the list that you can, as long as you're physically located in a public area.

Here's my policy, and it works great:

"Sorry sir. No, I haven't actually taken any pictures yet. I was unaware of this law, thank you for informing me." *smiles and puts away camera*

Well, I would think that security would approach you if you broke into an unoccupied train or an office, whether or not you have a camera in your hands. If that's all they mean, I could write the rule much more cogently:

1. Photography by the public in public places is permitted so long as it is not disruptive of operations and so long as the photographer holds the proper ticket where required, for the place from which he photographs.

2. During periods of heightened security, photographers may be approached by security.

3. Photographers will not be required to delete photographs.

No need to add "suspicious" activity modifiers. A person who is acting suspiciously may be approached by a bull whether or not he has a camera in his hands.

Here's my policy, and it works great:
"Sorry sir. No, I haven't actually taken any pictures yet. I was unaware of this law, thank you for informing me." *smiles and puts away camera*
Until the officer has been watching you take photographs for the last 30 minutes.

Lying to the police is a universally bad idea.
Aloha

And by so doing, you create suspicion, on your self, giving the officer cause for their further investigation.

If I'd obviously taken pictures. I often use my camera as a telescope, since it has a 12x zoom. I can't be the only one.

If I'd obviously taken pictures. I often use my camera as a telescope, since it has a 12x zoom. I can't be the only one.
I can see a cop hassling you because you are obviously a troublemaker - expecting the world and the people in it to be reasonable and logical - as do I :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back