Amtrak's reservation computers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
I have always wondered how Amtrak's reservation system picks which sleeping car on a certain train that you will get a room in. On a train with more then 1 sleeping car how does it decide if your in room 2 of car 3000 or 3001 for example? I understand on certain split trains such as the Empire Builder or Lake Shore Limited it would depend mostly on your destanation. I have asked a few car attendents this question (even some old timers) and they scratch their head and say "that's a very good question, I don't know".

Here is a thought. I usually make reservations very early and usually wind up in the middle of the the car, theory being that the middle it is smoother. For example, in a Viewliner standard room I am in the last room before the larger rooms begin, etc. I sort of think they begin in the middle and work back toward the ends of the car(over the trucks) where it is roughest.

Seems like I have pretty good luck being in the car next to diner, also.

So, perhaps these factors are part of the answer.

Am anxious to see what others say.

How exactly does it work? I don't really think Amtrak really knows!!!!

:lol: :D :p haaaaaaaaaaa, haaaaaaaaaaaa just kidding!!!!

Bill Haithcoat said:
Here is a thought. I usually make reservations very early and usually wind up in the middle of the the car, theory being that the middle it is smoother. For example, in a Viewliner standard room I am in the last room before the larger rooms begin, etc. I sort of think they begin in the middle and work back toward the ends of the car(over the trucks) where it is roughest.

Seems like I have pretty good luck being in the car next to diner, also.

So, perhaps these factors are part of the answer.

Am anxious to see what others say.
Yes I noticed that too Bill. They do seem to work from the middle out. But I guess I'm wondering more of how they determine which CAR they put you in. Example ....3000 or 3001.

The Amtrak reservations system has a provision built into it to allow the system administrators to set a priority rating for each car with assignable space (i.e., sleepers), and for each room within those cars. These priority factors are what the system uses to determine which car and which room in a car to offer when space is requested.

These priority factors can be set to accomplish any number of rankings of the assignable space on a train, and the factors may not be set identically for all trains. Choosing what settings to apply depends on the make-up and service pattern of a given train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back