Amtrak's Vermonter.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Today when I saw the Northbound Vermonter passed by the MTA Metro North Railroad Station in Mamaroneck NY this morning I saw a AEM-7AC Pulling the Train with about 5 Amfleet Cars. And I want to know how many Passager Cars does the Vermonter have?

Five cars sounds like a nice number to me. That's probably normal for that train, maybe it gets an extra coach for the holidays. Remeber though that one of those cars you saw was a cafe car and not a coach.

Any train can have two motors at any time. It is unlikely to see it on such a light train like the Vermonter bug, but it's possible. The train does however have to carry two motors north of New Haven for the direction change at Palmer.

Two ENGINES (or diesel locomotives) north of New Haven, motors only refer to electric locomotives . . . but wait diesels are driven by electric traction motors . . . it is a tricky situation. But most of the time motors are used to just refer to electric locomotives.

Well I guess you could think of it that way. Since my area down here is strictly diesel, anything resembling an "engine" is acceptable use for the traction power.

They may get an extra coach or two. I'll let you know as the holidays approach since my buddy works that route 6 days a week.

Negative. The train carries two engines, one lead end, one trail. This is necessary for the train to go onto the New England Central at St. Albans. The quality of the engines however is poor. Engineers are reporting that the way the leave the engine on their inbound trip to Springfield is how it comes back to them the next day. The engines rarely have sand, mechanical problems, engines are never washed (the 173 on a shuttle hasn't been washed in over three weeks) and clenliness issues are abundant. While many say Sunnsyside is the worst Maintenence facility, New Haven takes the prize.

battalion51 said:
The quality of the engines however is poor. Engineers are reporting that the way the leave the engine on their inbound trip to Springfield is how it comes back to them the next day. The engines rarely have sand, mechanical problems, engines are never washed (the 173 on a shuttle hasn't been washed in over three weeks) and clenliness issues are abundant. While many say Sunnsyside is the worst Maintenence facility, New Haven takes the prize.
Well the inside of the engine should be cleaned, sand should be refilled, and other things certainly should be done at New Haven. There is no excuse for that. :angry:

However I'm not sure if they have wash facilities there. The New Haven Amtrak yard is very small, maybe 10 tracks or so, and I don't think that they have a washer in that yard. The engines may well need to be sent down to Sunnyside for that.

From what I'm hearing there is a washer there, although it may belong to CDOT, because CDOT does maintain a large facility in New Haven. Apparently the 173 has quite a job on it, some very not good things written in the dirt on the side of the engine. :angry:

Amtrak Railfan said:
When can I see the Ex Metroliner Cars on the Vermonter?
Sometimes in the summer they are used to perform the back-up move onto the New England Central. I think though that your more likely to see a P-42 on both ends year round. In the winter to ex-Metroliner cars can not handle large Vermont snow drifts that may form on the tracks.

Amfleet said:
Amtrak Railfan said:
When can I see the Ex Metroliner Cars on the Vermonter?
Sometimes in the summer they are used to perform the back-up move onto the New England Central. I think though that your more likely to see a P-42 on both ends year round. In the winter to ex-Metroliner cars can not handle large Vermont snow drifts that may form on the tracks.
Actually Amtrak did expreiment with that very phnomenon a few years back during the summer. The Engineers did not like having to operate the cars over the New England Central thanks to the jointed rail, creating a terrible ride in the cab car. Also, the train is just easier to handle from a real engine with the dispalys, diagnostics, etc. The cab of an engine also provides room for the fireman which is necessary on this run due to run time and track warrants.

Well they would date back to the Metroliner debut, which I believe was in 1966, making them 37 years old.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Does the Cafe Car on the Vermonter have Orange Juice from Vermont?
Amtrak Railfan, I think we're getting our states mixed up here. :lol: Vermont is known for it's Apple Cider, not Orange Juice. That would be Florida. In fact, I think all Orange Juice is made in either California or Florida (or at least that is where the oranges are grown). With Vermonts cold winters, oranges are out of the question. :blink:

Orange juice comes from Florida, not Vermont. So no, they don't have Vermont made Orange juice on the Vermonter.

But do they serve breakfast with real Vermont Maple Syrup? Now there be some good eats. :D

tp49 said:
But do they serve breakfast with real Vermont Maple Syrup? Now there be some good eats. :D
I don't think that the Vermonter carries any breakfast foods that require syrup, but I'm not positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back