Amtrakstitution

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Johnny

Amtrakstitution or Amstitution, don't know which one is the correct term. But this refers to the case when your train (other than Amtrak) breaks down, you are "rescued" on Amtrak. I hear discussions on bustitution this and bustitution that, but not at all about Amtrakstitution.

I am bringing it up, because it almost happened today. On a SEPTA train from Center City Philly to Wilmington, DE made all stops and past University City, then the train stopped. The conductor said there was a switch problem. The train sits for a while. Then it backs up, back past the University City, into the 30th St Station! I was thinking to myself, "I am getting on Amtrak!" Fortunately/unfortunately, the train starts going forward, past the University city again, and on to Wilmington. So it was a missed opportunity. :mellow:

However, I have been Amtrakstituted before. Again, SEPTA train from Newark, DE to CC Philly, the darn train broke down somewhere between Newark and Wilmington, and sat on the tracks. After a while, the conductor said they had a "rescue" Amtrak train coming to pick up the passengers. It turned out to be a Vermonter (I could totally tell by seats facing both directions). So the usual term is the "rescue train" but I like the term "Amtrakstitution" or "Amstitution" better! :)

I am sure this happens anywhere a commuter rail runs on tracks shared with Amtrak (NE of course, Chicago, Bay Area, LA, or others).

Any experiences or thoughts?

I think I was on an Amtrak train that stopped at a Marc stop to pick up passengers. I boarded at Aberdeen which I believe was one station north of Baltimore but I know we stopped at least once more to pick up passengers and the conductor was collecting Marc tickets.

I think I was on an Amtrak train that stopped at a Marc stop to pick up passengers. I boarded at Aberdeen which I believe was one station north of Baltimore but I know we stopped at least once more to pick up passengers and the conductor was collecting Marc tickets.
A number of Northeast Regional trains are scheduled to stop at Aberdeen. Some of those accept MARC passes (not single ride tickets) per an arrangement Amtrak has with MARC. My regular points run, #188, has a whole crowd of MARC passengers going to Aberdeen. I can't avail myself of this service because I get off in Baltimore. On the other hand, I get 100 AGR points for a $16 ride.

A few years back, I was riding #67 from Boston to Washington. A bit past Route 128 our locomotive decided to break down After a long wait, which involved rousing a technician with a "3 million dollar laptop" (according to the conductor), and lack of success by said technician, those in charge started worrying about the lack of heat (it was about 12 degrees Fahrenheit outside) and decided to evacuate us on the northbound #178. The trains pulled up next to each other, they had these boarding bridges that allowed us to cross from one train to another with no problem at all. They took us back to South Station, where we got to sit in great discomfort in a totally closed station on the hard metal seats and benches while they towed #67 back and got a new engine for it. I think we finally got going at about 4 in the morning. Whatever sleep I got ended at New Haven when it got light out. I did get a $100 voucher for my trouble.

Another time, around 2004 or 2005 I was riding an Empire Service and the locomotive conked out somewhere between Hudson and Albany. After some wait, we got rescued by a turboliner. There was no boarding bridge, and unfortunately, I had a large duffle and a pair of skis, but the conductor helped me some. Of course, while it was interesting to have a chance to ride some unusual rolling stock, I can understand why the Turboliners needed to be taken offline. The interior noise level was fairly high and a slight odor of jet fuel permeated the cabin. When we got to Albany, they kicked us off, and those of us heading further (I was going to Syracuse) waited for a while as they prepared a fresh Amfleet trainset for us.

two years ago I was on 42 from Pittsburgh with a final destination of New Haven. I switched to a regional in Philly rather than switching at NYP. We pulled out of 30th Street and stayed slow for a while. Eventually we stopped and the conductor said there was a problem with the train in front of us. We backed up and then pulled along side... Train 42! Apparently a SEPTA train had pulled down some wires ahead of 42 and they were stuck. They unloaded 42 into the Regional... it was standing room only the rest of the way to NYP.

A number of Northeast Regional trains are scheduled to stop at Aberdeen. Some of those accept MARC passes (not single ride tickets) per an arrangement Amtrak has with MARC. My regular points run, #188, has a whole crowd of MARC passengers going to Aberdeen. I can't avail myself of this service because I get off in Baltimore. On the other hand, I get 100 AGR points for a $16 ride.

I understand but the Amtrak train stopped at another station that it was not suppose to stop at.

The Pacific Surfliner and Metrolink (So. Calif) occasionally back each other up. That includes Amtrak making stops at several (normally) non-Amtrak stations.

I know it was Edgewood that Amtrak stopped at. I am not sure of the other one.

Hi, OP here. First, when my incidence happened between SEPTA and Amtrak Vermonter, there was no bridge. We had to walk down the steps, down on the tracks, and walk back up the steps on to the Amtrak train. Wasn't too bad, but the drop between the steps and the tracks were steeper than I thought. Guess it's not possible with Acela, without the bridge.

I forgot that "Amstitution" can include Amtrak to Amtrak as well. As someone who had been bussed before on IRROPS, I much rather have this than the bustitution!!

Oh, and to add to the just discussed topic, I was on 151 to BWI one time, it stopped at Perryville. And Aberdeen (ok). And Edgewood. I thought there were IRROPs, but when I asked, they said they were the regular stops for MARC riders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back