Amtrip/ Via trip pt.3 VAC-Winnipeg

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
Ok, made it back to MPLS, I had an excellent trip on Via's Canadian. Here is my trip report: We started in Vancouver, and I checked my bag, and had the clerk store one of my bags, then we had dinner in Chinatown. After that, we headed to Pacific Central Station, where we simply walked into the sleeper lounge, picked up some snacks, and headed to the outdoor patio, where could look at our train being readied, and get our tickets checked. At about 7:40 PM, we started boarding, and I got my first look inside, were I was wowed by the décor and accommodation, (I was in an Upper Berth), then walked back to the Park car, "Laurentide Park", and I stayed there until I went to bed. Me and my dad met this couple in Prestige class, from northern Ireland, who talked with us until 11:30 PM, where we went to bed. Our very friendly SCA was so helpful, she put me and my dad in an upper and lower, because the bunks below us would not be filled until Kamloops, so she helped the two older ladies by giving them a place to sit, and me a lower bunk, which is better, because it has a window and no ladder to the floor, because it is right next to the floor. So, I woke up in Kamloops, where I dressed and got off for a few min, got some cool morning fresh air, then when our SCA called "all-aboard!", I got back on, and woke my dad up, told him what time it was, and suggested to get up, but he grunted, and went back to sleep. Then I went to the Park car, and spent some time talking to the mostly retirees, who were traveling in Prestige, and then my dad walked in, asked if I was getting into any trouble, and then asked me when I wanted to have breakfast, and I told him "now". That probably was because I am the hungriest kid in the world, (I finished the Honl "Trifecta", (steak sandwich, 4-piece bar chicken with reg. fries, and 14" cheese pizza), in two hours.) so we went to breakfast, where I had a wonderful full breakfast, and went to the Park car, where I hung out with the retirees some more, then headed to the dome, where the Prestige attendant, who was extremely nice, gave a scenery tour, including a beautiful waterfall, then I headed back to the lounge part of the Park car, where I chatted, and then walked the length of the train, which is quite a hike, considering west of Edmonton, we had:

F40PH

F40PH

Baggage/Dorm

Coach

Coach

Skyline/dome

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Skyline/dome

Diner

Panorama car (VAC-Edmonton), Rockies only

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper

Sleeper (my car)

Skyline/Dome

Diner

Prestige car

Prestige car

Park car/dome/(Prestige (3 bedrooms))

26 CARS, or 2200 feet long, pulled by 8,000 horsepower, so I got my workout for the day, then chatted some more in the Park car, then headed to the dining car with my dad, where had an excellent lunch, then, as you guessed it, back to the Park car, where I stayed, apart from getting off for fresh air every now and then, until dinner, where I had an excellent meal, then went back to the Park car, where I shall now explain the amenities of Sleeper Plus and Prestige: little chocolate chip cookies, biscuits, sugar cakes, apples, oranges, bananas, ice water, pop (extra for S. P.) wine and beer of all types (extra for S. P.), gourmet little cheese and paste things, kind of like tasters, this is where VIA runs way ahead of Amtrak, offering and adding things, rather than take things like meals, snacks, fresh COLD water, super accommodating and friendly service (depends on luck with Amtk.), extra comfy beds, wake up service, politeness, etc. etc. etc. After even more talking, discussing, debating, and listening to stories, I headed to bed, where I had an upper bunk, which is also quite comfy, just no window, and a six foot ladder climb to the bunk. The next morning, I slept in! I have never slept in on a train, I am always up for more, (I never sleep on trains, because I don't want to, I want to do things!) Because it was Sunday, I slept through breakfast, and went to brunch, where there was a nice (perhaps a little small? Only 5 items, plus all beverages, yes, even booze included, but the meal was done so well!! Then I took my little walk, without the panorama car (taken off in Edmonton), so 25 cars long, with access to 24 of them (bag car full of baggage) and spent the entire day in the Park car, same as yesterday, so no use talking about the same thing, but we started to get very delayed, and by the time we arrived in Winnipeg, we were 3H late, which was annoying, because our scheduled arrival was 20:45, but arrived at 23:45, and had to wait for my checked bag to come on to the claim, which happened to be the very last piece to be loaded on to the conveyor belt, so late, that one of the guys asked me what I was waiting for, and I said "a big green backpack", and he walked back behind the curtain, just as it came out, so I picked it up as he walked out, and said "Oh", I said no problem, and he went on his way. After we arrived, me and my dad walked a mile to our B and B, where we had two whole floors to ourselves! Our host, Trish, was waiting, AT HALF PAST MIDNIGHT, waiting for us, were we given a tour, and I had to correct her, when she said goodnight, I said, "wouldn't it be good morning?", and then we all laughed. This was a very enjoyable trip, and I recommend going as far, and as closeto prestige class as your budget allows, this was my most amazing train ride ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pics and video tour on the way, becermind, my camera decided it didn't want to store pics and videos, so I have only a few from my phone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back