An Amtrak first........

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm on amtrak the crews have no issues with me wearing amtrak gear. And being a PV attendant and seeing most attendants know that. I am sometimes asked for an opinion on how to fix something. And as a PV attendant I don't care what you wear. As long as you let me get my job done safely and respect my passengers your welcome to come and talk a minute.

I once wore a Cubs hat to Wrigley Field and I was mistaken for a player. After I could offer no good reason for the century-long World Series drought, the fan became irate and asked to be moved to a different seat.

[Yes, I made that up.]

TEREB that is the funniest true story I ever saw on this or any other forum!

Now just imagine if instead of letting the other couple politely change tables, your husband said, "Yeah you got me I am Tony from Redhook see but don't tell no-one or you gonna wind up with the fishes--and one other thing, you ain't changing tables--I gotta keep my eye on youse--now sit down and shut up."

Imagine the stories you'd be telling us now!

I'd like to ask if folks wouldn't mind addressing the broader question: what do you do if it turns out you have been seated in the dining car at a table with person(s) (strangers) you discover you absolutely cannot stomach--for any reason
When possible I make an excuse and move early. When not possible I try to avoid conversation and finish the meal as soon as possible and make sure I avoid that person at the next sitting.

If you have the opportunity try this line: "Why not, you should get married in Vegas!" Answer: Amtrak does not have a train to Vegas!"
I didn't want to encourage them.

Also, I'm single now, so people have moved from, "When are you guys getting married?" to, "Have you met anyone yet? You aren't getting any younger."

(Because, apparently, I have an expiration date and will cease to exist without a male companion on my arm.) ;)

Sarah: hard to believe in this day and age that people are still asking when are you going to get married, have kids,??? etc. etc.

Maybe if you just told them you're a nun or a lesbian( oops, same sex marriage is now legal) and didn't like kids, they'd stop asking such inappropriate and personal questions that are actually none of their business!

Or you just tell them that your hubby and kids are @ home and you cant wait to get back to domestic bliss in the burbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I say I don't want kids (true), then they label me as some crazy baby-hater (not true) and then try to explain why parenting is the Best Thing Ever and how I'll never know true love without the love of a child and how selfish I am for not having kids and zomg who will take care of you when you're old?!?

I really don't understand why people do that. My decision does not affect them. End of story. When people tell me they don't want to live in a big city, I don't sit there and give them 182 reasons to move to Chicago. :p

Got it!

Maybe: No habla ingles! ( doesn't work with Spanish speakers!)

As for who will take care of you when you're old, a minimum wage worker in a Nursing Home is the correct answer!

How's the new car and new apartment doing? Will a child's seat and crib fit easily into them?

Have a good night!

"Have you met anyone yet? You aren't getting any younger."
Tell them you have Benjamin Button disease. Or tell them that it won't matter after the Singularity. Your choice.
Ha. :D

Most people think I'm about 28 when they meet me. It usually comes from a conversation about music or historical events, and when I make a comment about that thing, they say I can't possibly be old enough to remember that. Then I say I'm 38, and they demand to see proof because they thought I was 26/27/28.

Now that I have braces, I get carded for alcohol, especially if I'm wearing one of my college hoodies. ^_^

I'm going to be young FOREVER. My age is just a number on my government and medical forms. (And the thing that reminds me that, no, I really cannot stay up for 36 hours and sleep on someone's broken futon anymore.)

If I say I don't want kids (true), then they label me as some crazy baby-hater (not true) and then try to explain why parenting is the Best Thing Ever and how I'll never know true love without the love of a child and how selfish I am for not having kids and zomg who will take care of you when you're old?!?
Ha, ha, I was 40 when I got married for the first, one-and-only time! Hubby was also 40, and I could not believe that friends and relatives wanted to know when we were going to "start a family." We told them it was "too late for us" (which was true, each of us having separately and equally made the decision to never have children, long, long before we met). Then at least one had the nerve to say "It's never too late." At least my family left us alone, my four siblings having already produced an adequate number of children.

People still think we are both younger than we are. But now that people our age are grand- and great-grandparents, it's no longer an issue. People just assume we have grown children and grandchildren (I hate calling them "grandbabies") off somewhere, or the topic does not even come up.

P.S. I don't need to have kids of my own, because I LOVE being an Auntie!

P.P.S. Here's Hubby's response to people who asked why he didn't want children: "You know, I checked the supply of human beings and found it to be adequate without my adding to it."

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean you have to answer. My favorite technique in dealing with busy bodies is to turn the tables on them and ask one of your own. Look them straight in the eye and say, "Why would you ask me that?"

I had the same sort of thing happen. First it was when are you getting married? I finally told a couple of people who kept asking that question I was going to hire hookers instead, it was cheaper. Those people got mad but also took the hint and shut up. Then when I finally did get married (I was 41, my wife 43) the inevitable questions about kids came up. My wife was unable to have kids which worked fine because I wanted no part of being a parent. Nor did my wife. So then we were asked why didn't we adopt? We got tired of that too so started saying it was nobody's business but ours. And, after my wife passed away 15 months after we married, I started to get the inevitable when are you getting married again questions. It's been 12 1/2 years since she died and I haven't been so much as on one date since. That fact has pretty much answered that question: I'm not!

I'd like to ask if folks wouldn't mind addressing the broader question: what do you do if it turns out you have been seated in the dining car at a table with person(s) (strangers) you discover you absolutely cannot stomach--for any reason (it's a general inquiry, so exact reasons are not really important). What do you do? Grin and bear it? Move to another table? Go back to your seat, take your food or come back later and start over?

I suppose this can happen at any point in the meal. It's tricky, no?

Any suggestions or experiences would be appreciated!!

And to the OP--what is the "first" about your experience--first bad experience with a dining companion? first time you switched tables on Amtrak?

I have to believe this must happen from time to time, incompatible table-mate on Amtrak. Can it be a first??
Someone would be have to be pretty bad to make me want to leave. Not all tablemates are gems, but in 30 years, I have never found any to be intolerable.

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean you have to answer. My favorite technique in dealing with busy bodies is to turn the tables on them.
I do something similar. I apparently am not interesting enough for people to ask me personal questions--hasn't happened so far.

But I get bored talking about myself and would rather listen. So when people do ask the basics (What do you do for a living, etc.), I give them an answer that will bore them to tears ("I'm an editor in a think tank--it's sort of like being an English teacher, only for grownups"). Then, as their eyes start to glaze over as they are remembering their worst teacher ever, I say, "But that's enough about me--I'm sure your travel adventures are much more interesting--tell me about your train trips" (or something similar). Works like a charm--I hear many interesting stories and nobody ever goes back to asking me about me again!

Many grownups could benefit from an English teacher. I wish you great success.

I had the same sort of thing happen. First it was when are you getting married? I finally told a couple of people who kept asking that question I was going to hire hookers instead, it was cheaper. Those people got mad but also took the hint and shut up. Then when I finally did get married (I was 41, my wife 43) the inevitable questions about kids came up. My wife was unable to have kids which worked fine because I wanted no part of being a parent. Nor did my wife. So then we were asked why didn't we adopt? We got tired of that too so started saying it was nobody's business but ours. And, after my wife passed away 15 months after we married, I started to get the inevitable when are you getting married again questions. It's been 12 1/2 years since she died and I haven't been so much as on one date since. That fact has pretty much answered that question: I'm not!
Please accept my sympathy over the loss of your wife after such a short time. I hope it left you with good memories.

I know quite a few people who are aware that they are happier with the companionship of good friends, when they want it, than they would be with a full-time spouse in the home. If that's the case, it's good to know ones-self.

Wow, I think I'm going to start eating in my roomette. Actuality I've never had a problem in in the dinning car, in fact enjoyed the conversations though there are certain topics I'd refuse to discuss and I wouldn't have a problem being up front about it.

I think I learned something important on this thread: NEVER, ever, sit in the diner with anyone wearing any sort of RR paraphernalia, insignia,T-shirt, hat, or pin. I have no idea how I've managed to avoid that so far but I thank my lucky stars!!!
There's not that many of them (foamers), and some can be interesting dining tablemates. If you want their specialized conversation. (I sometimes do.)

Just because someone asks a question doesn't mean you have to answer. My favorite technique in dealing with busy bodies is to turn the tables on them.
I do something similar. I apparently am not interesting enough for people to ask me personal questions--hasn't happened so far.

But I get bored talking about myself and would rather listen. So when people do ask the basics (What do you do for a living, etc.), I give them an answer that will bore them to tears ("I'm an editor in a think tank--it's sort of like being an English teacher, only for grownups"). Then, as their eyes start to glaze over as they are remembering their worst teacher ever, I say, "But that's enough about me--I'm sure your travel adventures are much more interesting--tell me about your train trips" (or something similar). Works like a charm--I hear many interesting stories and nobody ever goes back to asking me about me again!
Yup, I say "I'm a technincal something at something something at boring corp , I've taken this train this way once (even if it's been 8 times, or none) before, this trip seems to going well (or bad)"

And hope the conversation turns well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back