Analyzing the Amtrak Board

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

x-press

Service Attendant
While "the usual suspects" on both sides of the Amtrak long-distance debate (Mineta vs Kay Bailey Hutchison, Wendell Cox vs NARP) are easy to read, the "Amtrak Board" is one entity I just don't understand. I'd love to have a "fly one the wall" source at their meetings. Since we don't have that, we can only judge their actions:

A) Firing Gunn.

Verdict: Terrible! Got rid of a highly capable manager, respected by both sides and turned huge numbers of highly influential people against them.

B Replacing Gunn (interim) with Hughes.

Verdict: Good. If they really wanted to erase all the good Gunn had done, they could have replaced him with some political hack who knew nothing about railroads. This, to me, suggests that the Gunn firing was largely a personality clash; the board respected his work but just didn't like him.

C) Reducing staff in the dining cars by eliminating the remainder of on-board food preparation.

It's not lost on me that this is a tough topic around here. People's jobs are at stake, and my heart really goes out to Windy City LSA, in particular. To try to be both fair and diplomatic:

Verdict: Mixed. I've heard bad reviews for a couple food items, okay for a couple others. I realize for some on here, the Amtrak dining car food was the highlight of the trip, but few can dispute that Amtrak needs every red cent it can get at this point. The less money Amtrak trains are losing, the less attention they'll get at budget time.

D) Ordering refurbishments on the dining cars and lounge cars to better carry out the new food service.

Verdict: Good, if viewed by itself. As controversial as the whole diner-lite program is, the decision to put money into the fleet suggests that the board really believes in this program, and, to some extent, is trying to make long distance passenger rail viable.

Long-distance passenger rail may end very soon, or it may not. Either way, I'd hate for it to end not having tried every last trick in the book to make itself financially viable enough to stay on.

JPS

One thing I don't understand is how this happened overnight. One day they approved a plan to enhance service on the Empire Builder. They even admit that cutting LD trains will not save much money. Next day, admit to voting to spin off the NEC, then they fire Gunn. It really does not add-up, and currently I'm really not sure what the board is doing, or even if it exists. Can you say scandal? I'm not suggesting that this is the case, but I just thought I'd throw it out there as an idea.

Thanks to x-press for the kind words. Part of me will be sad if I'm not able to have a career at Amtrak. After all, I did sort of have hopes to retire from there. Guess I got onboard 10-15 years later than I should have to allow me to have thoughts of retiring from there! :) If things don't work out, I'll bounce back somehow. I do have a seemingly useless culinary degree in my arsenal. I don't know what I want to do. But I need to figure it out soon. I'm not getting any younger! :eek:

How does Amtrak expect to save any money by cutting 100 LSA positions and instead hiring and training 64 OBS chief "managers" to oversee service on the trains? The 64 chiefs planned would seem to cancel out most if any cost savings attained from getting rid of 100 LSA positions on the trains... add to this that Amtrak will need to spend lots of $$$ completely redesigning and remanufacturing the insides of the Superliner sightseer lounge and dining cars and I really can't see where they plan to save any money although they are definitely reducing the level of service provided.

X-press, it's obvious we disagree on specific issues that face Amtrak and how they will ultimately effect the future of the long distance trains and the Amtrak corporate structure as a whole. However, your comments about analyzing the Amtrak Board of Directors is by far the central question everyone should focus on. I absolutely agree with you that when we learn the "true agenda" of this board, we'll understand the issues that will come to haunt and/or enhance the Amtrak system.

I'll be the first to say that I have an idea of the board's agenda, but as you've pointed out, with their votes to improve services on the Empire Builder, that just goes against the program I think they have: shutdown by running passengers off the trains. I believe the board's agenda is to shut down the long distance trains. Although you've cited the Empire Builder, the issues like diner-lite, eliminating "discounted" fares, freight railroad relationships (the lack of one), fleet and infrastructure maintenace cutbacks give more to my suspicion of shutdown versus growth. I'm with you, being a fly on the wall would answer the question. But one things for sure, when Amtrak's corporate environment is filled with poor morale, managers clawing for life and thousands of little details just adding up, I know in my heart that this board is by far the biggest problem facing long distance passenger rail and maybe all rail that depends on Amtrak. :(

Windy City LSA said:
Thanks to x-press for the kind words. Part of me will be sad if I'm not able to have a career at Amtrak. After all, I did sort of have hopes to retire from there. Guess I got onboard 10-15 years later than I should have to allow me to have thoughts of retiring from there! :) If things don't work out, I'll bounce back somehow. I do have a seemingly useless culinary degree in my arsenal. I don't know what I want to do. But I need to figure it out soon. I'm not getting any younger! :eek:
Heck, WCLSA, if we can go back in time, let's you and I do it right: Let's be born right around 1895, experience the absolute zenith of passenger (and arguably freight) expansion, live it up in the steam era, take pride in the introduction of diesels, and retire to ride Streamliners. We could experience a country that made its own goods and exported more, that trusted (rightly or wrongly) its government, and hardly needed it anyway. Wouldn't have been all good by a long shot, though . . . might have gotten drafted into one or more world wars, any races other than white males would have gotten the short end of the stick, "workplace safety" was a bit different . . .

Guess we gotta take what we got.

Hang in there,

JPS

I still have serious questions about the accounting gimmicks they must use to claim the huge food losses, since I can't believe that they are giving proper deference to the revenues that the sleepers pull in, and alloting a proper percentage of those revenues to the food service. I am absolutely convinced that without decent-quality food service, those sleeper revenues will at the very least experience a serious reduction. If they are primarily comparing just the actual revenues that food service generates against the total cost of food service, without allocating a goodly chunk of sleeper revenues to it, it's just another scam perpetrated by the Board (and the administration) toward Congress ,to artificially and fraudulently stack the deck against LD trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back