Another German trip....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Neil_M

Conductor
Just a short 4 day trip to satisfy my need for a quick Euro dabble!

Left London on Eurostar to Brussels, ICE forward to Cologne (via the new Liege to Aachen HSL) , a quick lunch break in the Fruh beer emporium next to the cathedral, then an IC to Koblenz for a local service to Boppard.

3 nights in Boppard, riding the boats on the river, a few train trips and just a few beers and excellent food!

Back on the Monday, back via the same route and another lunch break in Cologne!

4 hours 21 minutes from Cologne to London, again via ICE and Eurostar and a 24 minute connection in Brussels.

Loads of photos here http://50031.fotopic.net/c1732552.html

A bit of forward warning for anyone into German railway stuff, next Easter sees a big event around Koblenz and Trier to celebrate 175 years of German railways, lots of special trains, including lots of steam on the mainline.

Should be very good and is based in a very nice area of Germany, super scenic!

Details here, am sure more information will be added as time moves on.

http://www.dampfspektakel.info/fileadmin/h...pektakel_en.pdf

Just a short 4 day trip to satisfy my need for a quick Euro dabble!Left London on Eurostar to Brussels, ICE forward to Cologne (via the new Liege to Aachen HSL) , a quick lunch break in the Fruh beer emporium next to the cathedral, then an IC to Koblenz for a local service to Boppard.

3 nights in Boppard, riding the boats on the river, a few train trips and just a few beers and excellent food!

4 hours 21 minutes from Cologne to London, again via ICE and Eurostar and a 24 minute connection in Brussels.

A bit of forward warning for anyone into German railway stuff, next Easter sees a big event around Koblenz and Trier to celebrate 175 years of German railways, lots of special trains, including lots of steam on the mainline.

Neil - as always - great pictures.

My wife and I did the Vienna to Amsterdam river thing a few years ago and many of your pictures bring back memories of that trip as we went to Koblenz. And, we remember the good German wine they make in that area!

We were on one of those long, low, sleek river boats for 21 days.

Thanks for sharing.

A bit of forward warning for anyone into German railway stuff, next Easter sees a big event around Koblenz and Trier to celebrate 175 years of German railways, lots of special trains, including lots of steam on the mainline.Should be very good and is based in a very nice area of Germany, super scenic!

Neil, Great pictures!

The area around Trier and Saabreucken is beautiful. I have had the good fortune of participating in a couple of EC sponsored technical workshops in Schloss Dagstuhl and that was wonderful. At that time spent considerable time exploring Trier.

Over the Thanksgiving break in US I will be in London, and am considering doing a one day whirlwind tour via Eurostar and TGV-Est to get some more quality 200mph running under my belt. We'll see how it goes. The genesis of this trip is that one day while scanning airfares I found a $380 round-trip fare from Newark to London and just could not resist snapping it up :)

Great photos. We have taken the Eurostar from Paris to London several times when living in Paris. Also the ICE to Koln. On one trip, the ICE was only two weeks in service and we sat behind the engineer and could see through the windscreen. What an exciting trip: Koln to Amsterdam. We have stayed in Rudesheim during the asparagus season in May. We spent one night in an old castle on the East side of the river. A very beautiful part of the world.

In its time, I have even ridden the pedestrian Orient Express (not the fancy one) from Paris Est to Munich. There used to be such a train in the 90s. I don't know if it is still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
In its time, I have even ridden the pedestrian Orient Express (not the fancy one) from Paris Est to Munich. There usedto be such a train in the 90s. I don;t know if it is still there.
Train EN469, 2037 from Strasbourg to Vienna.

OBB train with sleepers, couchettes and seats.

I would get to Strasbourg in time for an earlyish dinner in town and then board!

Just a short 4 day trip to satisfy my need for a quick Euro dabble!Left London on Eurostar to Brussels, ICE forward to Cologne (via the new Liege to Aachen HSL) , a quick lunch break in the Fruh beer emporium next to the cathedral, then an IC to Koblenz for a local service to Boppard.

Great stuff Neil as usual!!! :)

Neil, i have a few questions about the pictures?

The trains crossing the Rhein in Koln on the bridge is it double track or did i see two more tracks on the other side of the bridge to make it four tracks?

Do you have any idea how many trains cross the bridge in a day?

There is one picture of the trains at the end of the collection i can see a sign that says "Monty Python"something??? Can you elaborate on this?

Again, great stuff Neil!!! :lol:

Great stuff Neil as usual!!! :) Neil, i have a few questions about the pictures?

The trains crossing the Rhein in Koln on the bridge is it double track or did i see two more tracks on the other side of the bridge to make it four tracks?

There is one picture of the trains at the end of the collection i can see a sign that says "Monty Python"something??? Can you elaborate on this?

The Hohenzollernbrücke has 6 tracks, 3 x 2 track sections, the nearest figure I can find for services over there is around 1,200 at Koln Hbf each day, although some of those reverse in the Hbf and don't cross the bridge. I think the best answer I can give is "continuous" ...... :cool:

I was bit puzzled about the last question, but the building behind the bridge is a concert hall and a look at another shot showed "Spamalot" was in town!

Great stuff Neil as usual!!! :) Neil, i have a few questions about the pictures?

The Hohenzollernbrücke has 6 tracks, 3 x 2 track sections, the nearest figure I can find for services over there is around 1,200 at Koln Hbf each day, although some of those reverse in the Hbf and don't cross the bridge. I think the best answer I can give is "continuous" ...... :cool:

I was bit puzzled about the last question, but the building behind the bridge is a concert hall and a look at another shot showed "Spamalot" was in town!
When we were in Koln a few years ago our river ship parked almost right under that bridge for a day and a half. We were told the station sees a train arrive or leave every 30 seconds to one minute, depending on the time of day. A very busy place indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back