Another noob post

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

YourFoodSherpa

Train Attendant
Folks,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster. My Amtrak experience is all very recent (Cascades, NE Regional, and Pennsylvanian), but I was bitten by the bug just from a simple SEA-PDX run on the Cascades about 15 months ago. I have scoured the forums here for as much knowledge as I could soak up, and am jumping in feet first into a cross-country-plus trip in a few weeks. I will be traveling solo, mostly because I can't imagine anyone would want to concede to my schedule for two full weeks! People around the office have already scoffed at my plan, but they just don't understand. I knew you guys (and gals) would understand me.

The Plan:

Jan 15 - Fly from MCO-NYC - Yeah, I know "fly" is a bad word around here, but I only have two weeks, and would like to spend SOME time off the train doing other activities. Please don't ostracize me on my first day.

Jan 17 - NYP-PHL (paid ticket; multi-city)

Jan 17 (evening) - PHL-BAL

Jan 18 - BAL-WAS - Just to prove that I did read and learn about some of the tips and tricks before jumping in and posting, the whole NYP-PHL-BAL-WAS ticket was $49; whereas NYP-WAS would have been the same $49. I call this a major win!

Jan 19 - WAS-PGH on Capitol Limited (paid coach ticket)

Jan 21/22 - PGH-CHI on Cap Ltd (paid coach ticket) - I am planning to go to the Louisville-Pitt basketball game that day, which ESPN has decided should start at 9 pm. I think I can still make the train, should the game not run too long, but just in case, I booked a Southwest flight for the first thing the following morning. My thinking is that I can cancel the mode of transportation that I do not take with little penalty - as long as I don't print my train ticket, my understanding is that it is fully refundable; if i don't take the flight, I can get a credit for future travel on Southwest...so, while not refundable, per se, I can still use the value of my fare for another flight down the road. Please correct me if I have this wrong.

Jan 22-24 - CHI-SFC on Cal Zephyr (AGR 2-zone roommette)....and now comes the question part....

Jan 25 - Fly either SFO/OAK-SEA or SFO/OAK-SAN - The costs are about the same either way, so that isn't a factor. The only real issue is whether or not I want to do the CS north-to-south or south-to-north. I haven't done either one yet, so that doesn't help me decide, either. Is the scenery better in one direction or the other? I know that there is a re-route on the northbound route, but since I have never taken the regular route, I don't know that it makes a difference to me there, either.

Jan 26/27 - SAN-SEA or SEA-SAN on the Coast Starlight (AGR 1-zone roommette) - The timing is about the same either way - depart in the morning; arrive late-night at destination a day-and-a-half later.

Jan 29 or 30 - Fly either SEA-MCO or SAN-MCO - Flight costs are about the same, so that is not a determining factor.

My Thoughts:

I am really, really torn. I have friends in both Seattle and San Diego. I LOVE Seattle, but have only been to San Diego once. That said, it is really comparing one full day in one place versus two full days in the other. It's not like it is THAT much of a difference. In my head, this is really a coin-flip, but am curious if someone has some input that could sway my decision in one direction or another. For instance, on the northbound ride, is there enough of a layover time for me to run to Philippe's and get a sandwich? ;-)

Any input is welcome - including things you think I might have missed in my planning. I am really looking forward to this, so talking about it is helping pass the time!

Seeing as this trip is still in winter, I would take the Coast Starlight northbound to get the best views of the California coastline. There is no guarantee of those views going southbound. The northbound Coast Starlight is running 2 hours later than usual through January, so if you take the 6:10, 7:05, or 8:10 train out of San Diego, you will have enough time for Philippe's. You can check the schedule out on Amtrak.com but everything is exactly the same, just 2 hours later due to California track work. I live in San Diego, and love every part of it. If you are going to start the trip in either city and end in either city, though, It seems that you can spend time in both. But really, go NB on the Starlight. I'm not sure how close the stadium is in Pittsburgh to the station, but even if it was right next door, I'm not sure that you would have time to make the Capitol Limited. Those are my thought.
smile.gif

Enjoy the trip!
tongue.gif

Welcome. I, too, live in Central Florida. I did my first cross country trip in 2010. I was gone 2 weeks and took no planes. I stopped in Denver, Seattle and west Glacier.

BTW - will you be attending our mini gathering in WPK on Jan. 14th?

Welcome! I concur with Johnny's thoughts about traveling northbound, for the same reasons. In addition to the California coastline, the Oregon Cascade Mountains are scenic highlights. You would see them northbound but miss them altogether southbound.

As for flying, don't worry! I take an annual Amtrak trip with my uncle, who lives in Illinois. I live in Washington (state) and fly to Illinois every year to meet him and begin our trip. So far, I haven't been totally shunned here (yet!) :lol: That might change this year, though as we are discussing the idea of beginning our annual trip in Miami this summer......which would necessitate BOTH of us flying! :blink: And I'd fly across the country! ;)

The plane is an evil necessity for this trip. I just want to do too many things in too short a time frame. On top of that, I must confess, I don't mind flying. I am even a Gold Elite with Continited, so hopefully some of those "horrible" plane trips will be in first class if an upgrade or two clears. In this case, though, the flights allow for me to have stops (or as I like to call it "non-train time") in New York, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh, somewhere in the Bay Area of CA, Seattle, San Diego, and even score brunch in Chicago. I could have done a pure train trip in about the same amount of time, but I need to get out and so stuff, too!

The 14th, unfortunately, doesn't work for me. The whole reason that my own trip out of town was delayed by a day is that I am driving (egads...another form of non-train travel!) to Tallahassee to see my beloved Tar Heels play at FSU. I am then driving back Saturday night to fly out on Sunday. I will try to make one of those events at some point in the future. I participate in things like that (and even organize sometimes) all the time for a food web site where I am a member.

johnny.menhennet - Thanks for the advice on the north-bound CS. I hadn't even initially considered it - in my mind, the whole time I had been planning the trip, I was thinking that I would arrive in CA and fly to SEA and head south and just this morning it hit me that I could do the reverse - and that the reverse seemingly made more sense. Just wanted to see if I was missing anything. Thanks again!

Enjoy the trip!

If you don't yet have any plans for your stay in New York, you may find the link in my signature useful.

CHamilton - I did see your trip report and looked at the photos, as well. It may have been your report that encouraged me to consider the northbound journey in the first place. I saw your picture of the nearly empty parlour car. How early would you say one might want to get there for a spot in on of those comfy-looking lounge chairs? I would think that on a pretty full train, those would go pretty fast, no?

NY Penn - Thanks for the link, but I think I've got it covered. I am originally from Long Island and have spent a considerable amount of time in the city - not a first-timer. Still, the advice is helpful. While in town, more than museums or the Statue of Liberty, I have this on my agenda....

2485849820_3ac618521d_o.jpg

The Woody Allen at the Carnegie Deli! :)

OMG, that sandwich looks bigger than the one I ate last month when I was in NYC.

OMG, that sandwich looks bigger than the one I ate last month when I was in NYC.
Looks normal for the deli on 8 avenue between 71st and 72nd street made way back in the early 60's that I worked for in NYC.

Aloha

I think that since the Woody includes both corned beef and pastrami, there is a little more meat than if you just ordered a simple one-meat sandwich.

Heck, who knows? I may go to Katz's instead.

CHamilton - I did see your trip report and looked at the photos, as well. It may have been your report that encouraged me to consider the northbound journey in the first place. I saw your picture of the nearly empty parlour car. How early would you say one might want to get there for a spot in on of those comfy-looking lounge chairs? I would think that on a pretty full train, those would go pretty fast, no?
It's hard to say. Keep in mind that I was traveling northbound on New Year's Day, and the sleepers seemed pretty empty. When I've traveled the CS in the past, the "comfy chairs" have filled up quickly, but they also turn over pretty frequently. So you could hang out in other parts of the lounge and grab a spot when it becomes available.

I was thinking that the spots must rotate out pretty frequently, if for no other reason than the meal schedule. If this car is for sleeper-only passengers, and all of them get meals included in their fare, then there is really no incentive to NOT have a meal - and therefore free up a seat in the Parlour Car periodically.

The sightseer lounge on the Zephyr is not sleeper-only, correct?

You can choose to have your meals in the Pacific Parlor Car as well. The menu is more limited than the regular dining car, but dining there is an option. And, on the CZ (or any other train) the Sightseer Lounge is available to all passengers. Only the PPC on the CS is limited to use for sleeper passengers.

When I traveled on the northbound CS last October on my way to the gathering, there were 7 other AU members/guests on the same train. We tended to take up all the swivel chairs most of the time, but I think there was only one person other than the AU group that wanted to sit with us. (I think we may have scared some of the passengers away).

In December, I took the CS southbound from Seattle to Martinez, CA and the train was pretty empty. I had no problems claiming the best swivel seat in the house (in my opinion). During my trip, no more than half of the swivel seats were occupied at any given time. Most of the time, there were just 2 of us in the PPC - other than the wine tasting when people came out of the woodwork. :lol:

Cool. Thanks for all the help. I will try to get a Katz's photo up later for the above posters who asked about the difference between a Katz's and a Carnegie sandwich, too!

I don't know that this is the best photo I have ever taken, but it was the most handy - and the one that was already uploaded somewhere else!

199158_10150105857034315_503099314_6562532_7675050_n.jpg

The biggest difference between Katz's (this post) and Carnegie (above) is the method of slicing. Katz's are hand-sliced, which makes for a naturally thicker cut, while Carnegie is machine-sliced, resulting in thinner slices. The Carnegie sandwich is almost comically huge, while the Katz's sandwich could satisfy a healthy appetite. Also, part of the experience at Katz's is standing in line and watching the deli slicer make your sandwich in front of you. You tip the guy a buck or two and he will also throw you a sample of the meat (as though you need MORE!). At Carnegie, you get traditional waiter service, from servers whose brusque nature is not schtick. They are also sure to remind you that when paying your bill, the tip is not included, but expected.

Personally, I find the meat better at Katz's, but wouldn't hesitate to go to Carnegie if I found myself on that side of town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back