Another round on Palmetto SAV - FAY - SAV 21 Mar 2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
This was a spur of the moment trip, booked two days out. I stayed in Savannah the night before, so as not to have to get up another hour earlier for the 45 mile drive.

Mindful of my previous unsatisfactory experience on Palmetto, I decided the better part of valor was to book BC for the leg up to FAY, and coach back to SAV. It was a very satisfactory way to do it. The Palmetto starts in SAV, and there were a lot of people waiting to board. But only three of us in BC to start. 'Sit anywhere but the first two seats' was the only instruction...The first two seats (actually the rear seats in the car) were reversed, one held the newspapers, and the other the pillows. I chose a seat with a good window (which could have used a cleaning on the outside) and pulled out my electronics. Plugged in the Philips socket multiplier with USB ports, and then pulled out my GPS. Here I hit my first snag, as I realized I had the thing to stick to the window, but had forgot the mounting bracket. However, the GPS lay flat on the plug, and all was well.

Got out my ipad mini and brought up the Elevation app, and watched our blue dot as we cruised along. We were rapidly up to 80mph, but slowed to 25 to cross the Savannah River. Then back up to speed to Yemassee. A few people got on there, maybe a couple in BC. As we approached Charleston, they announced people were to clear their belongings off the empty seats next to them, as they would need every seat. Of course, that did not apply to BC.

From Florence on, we had slower speeds, and lots of track repair equip. passed us. One of the reasons for this trip was to pin down where I saw the antique coach along the way. It turned out to be near Florence, and when I saw it I realized that the community was going to make an exhibit of it, as there were a couple of small building under construction near it. I was able to zoom out the ipad and find out that it was in Lake City, SC. So now, I have a reason to take the trip again. Or I suppose I could drive up...

We had a 15 min delay out of Florence, where we had to use the outside track and make a double spot, and were about half an hour late into FAY. I left the train and headed for the Subway at the station, where I had lunch and waited for time to board the southbound Palmetto. It was about 25 min late. I picked up another sandwich to have for supper.

It seemed like the whole coach got off in FAY, and again, the train was on the outer track (there was some maintenance equip. on the inside track) so they did a double spot again, first to let off BC and baggage on the street, and then to let off coach and board us. There was lots of space in the coach we were directed to, not many getting on - but it was the Amfleet I coach, darn.

Would you believe they messed up the luggage there? Three ladies in our coach got calls shortly after we left, saying that their bags did not make it into the baggage car. Do you suppose they unloaded the baggage and forgot to hand those in, or handed them in, and they got handed back out...

WE did not make any time up and were half an hour late into SAV. There was a young fella in the crew, the light blue shirt people, not the train attendants who change at Florence...He hung around the two ladies behind me, a mother and daughter heading to SAV to celebrate the daughter's birthday. First time on the train for mom. I think the birthday would have been somewhere in the 30's. I figured out he was talking through his hat a lot. Said he worked 11 days straight after SAndy, had done all these long distance trips out west, putting in long hours. But didn't know what I meant when I mentioned the transdorm...

Altogether, a much better trip than the last, and I think I may have to do it again before the leaves on the trees and the kudzhu obstruct the views...

CJ

Hi CJ, Thanks very much for the great trip report. Your advice has been valuable for our upcoming trip to the southeast in December. If we are taking the PAL from Baltimore to Savannah, do you think it's worth the extra to do business class? It's about 50% extra (~$300 vs ~$200), and so far, we've just booked the coach, but I'd love to hear what you think based on experience.

I'm interested in your little Phillips socket multiplier. I looked at them on the Phillips website, and found the SPS1028A/17. Is that the one? It looks very handy, as we will be in a romette for much of the trip, and I know there is only one outlet in Superliner roomettes. I'm not loaded up with gadgets, but I will have a phone and a netbook, at least.

If there are two of you, you won't have to be concerned about seat choices...I did it because of the restrictions of the attendants. And since you are going a longer way, they will probably be in the Amfleet II coaches, so plenty of space.

This is the multiplier that I have: http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Travel-Surge-Protector/dp/B009DTTQZO/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1364057289&sr=1-9&keywords=travel+surge+protectors

It appears from Amazon that a lot of companies make this one.

This is also a very good one because the plug rotates to fit the direction of the outlet and space available:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BST300-3-Outlet-Travel-Protector/dp/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks very much for the tip! I do remember you saying in your other trip report that your car attendant had blocked off the best groups of seats for those traveling in pairs or groups. Are you also saying that people traveling "through" are more likely to get the Amfleet II coaches than short-haul passengers? We really do want to see the scenery. That is why we are taking the Palmetto instead of an overnight train.

I looked up those plug multipliers. It looks like the one you have is still available on Amazon, but no longer made. It looks like that little Belkin is available from Quill, and I will be making an order from them soon, so I will probably get it there.

Thanks so much! I am really looking forward to seeing your part of the country!

I'm back again! It sounds like you don't think that business class is worth the 50% premium, but we are still considering it. Are the seats much more confortable? Are the windows better? We'll be on that train about 12 hours. Also, what other amenities did you get, that you wouldn't get in coach?

We'll be going on a weekday, about a week before Christmas. I'm also wondering, if we have a choice of which side to sit on, which side you think the views are better on? And which side is the antique coach near Florence on?

Thanks again!

Amfleet I coaches have much less legroom than the Amfleet IIs. More like airline economy plus. Amfleet II coaches have great legroom, and legrests as well as footrests. Amfleet I business class coaches are a cross between the two. They have the extra legroom, but not the legrests. You do get a small pillow and a free newspaper, and a coupon for a free non-alcoholic drink in the cafe car. It's just my theory that they put the shorter distance passengers in the Amfleet I coach. In Savannah they were not shuttling people only into the Amfleet I, but some were directed to the coach behind. And they asked your destination before they told you which coach to board.

As far as side of the coach, I prefer the east, but either is good. It is good that you are traveling in Dec., when the leaves are off the trees. It may seem bleak, but foliage blocks a lot of the view...

The antique coach in Lake City is on the east side. You have to keep your eyes peeled, because you may be zipping through at 80mph. But it is really close to the track. CJ

Last edited by a moderator:
good evening. i am about to get on board the Amtrak train stopping in Columbia SC at 4:08 am I am traveling by myself to go back to grad school in new york

my question is this:

when the train gets here, how do i get to my room that I have booked? does it have wifi?

i am excited about this trip....march 24 2013

Manhattan -- I have not been on that particular train, but normally if you board at an intermediate stop, doors on one or more cars will open as the train pulls in, and the attendants will be at the doors and call out for the type of passengers that are supposed to be boarding those cars. At Columbia, since there is checked baggage service, there may be platform personnel as well. If in doubt, just go to the nearest open door and ask the attendant what car to board. Your Sleeper Car Attendant (SCA) will show you to your room, and show you how everything works. At that hour, your bed should be ready for you to grab a couple more hours of sleep before breakfast. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

Oregon Pioneer - If I understand this correctly, only the Amfleet I's have WiFi. So the more comfortable Amfleet IIs (both Coach and Business Class) won't have Wifi. Now, if you happen to score a Business Class / Cafe Car combo, that goes out the window. You'll have MUCH larger seats AND Wifi and it's worth WELL more than the $100 premium. But I think they've all but removed those cars from the Palmetto.

As for power multipliers, may I suggest one of THESE?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back