Another trip, more neurotic questions.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the advice all! My friend still thinks she'd rather pick us up in Irvine, so it's all for naught, though it's good to know for next time!

Now I just have to decide if I have enough gumption to find a redcap and decide if I want to utilize this service, which will probably be a gametime decision.
Get the red cap. My daughter and I used them on our first trip and we're both healthy adults. I don't tend to get them anymore, but I won't discourge people from getting them.

The thing about the red cap at L.A. is that the red cap can take you directly to the metropolitan lounge, which is on the same level as the tracks, but requires crossing L.A. light rail tracks at grade, something you apparently need the red cap to do. Otherwise you would walk down to the main level, then find the elusive elevator to the lounge and go up. Since you'll only have an hour at best for the connection, there's no sense using most of it to find the lounge when you could go directly there. And you don't have to be elderly or handicapped to utilize the red cap. They are there for everyone. Just don't forget to tip them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My cure for snoring loud enough to rattle glass was radical cancer surgery (removing my uvula and 95% of my vocal chords) and a trache. I would take snoring any day.

She uses nasal strips religiously and has even tried a mouthpiece; she has sleep apnea and what she NEEDS is a cpap but she's hesitant.
CPAPs work, and *you can plug them in and run them while on Amtrak*, which is pretty darn awesome.

That being said, her snoring isn't as bad as her dad's; grandpas snoring used to rattle the windows upstairs! :D
My father used to have really serious snoring problems -- he could be heard through multiple closed solid wooden doors, or through walls. Pretty much nobody else I've ever met has snored that badly. (He got the nasal passage widening surgery, which only works on a small group of people with specific symptoms, AND a CPAP.)
If she snores at normal levels, nobody outside the roomette will hear it.

I would also recommend getting a red cap. If there are more people than can be taken on one trip, they will come back, as long as you let them know you want to use them. I've not been bothered by noise from other roomettes. Have a great trip.

2 things -

Redcap @ LAUS- for sure

CPAP - sure helped my ex-wife back when I was the snorer

Before that, I snored so bad, that a guest in my college rooms never apologized for -- throwing stuff at me all night long - I slept peacefully, and snored, and woke up with 6 textbooks, 2 pair boots and the toaster in my bed with me - and a disgruntled guest.

Never had a problem on Amtrak with other snorers.

CPAP has helped several people I know.

Redcaps at LAUS - good.

(neurotically obsessing over this trip has consumed my little free time during speech season)
There's free time during speech season? Since when? :) (I did extemporaneous speaking in high school, and I recall a strong lack of free time during speech season.)

(neurotically obsessing over this trip has consumed my little free time during speech season)
There's free time during speech season? Since when? :)

(Meant to reply to this earlier, but forgot.)
Lots of free time...for 15 minutes between flight B round 1 and flight A round 2! (Unless you're judging extemp!) :)

Dabbling in some thread necromancy to bring this one back from the dead!

I just had some more neurotic questions, but mainly just one. As mentioned before somewhere else, I have rescheduled our trip slightly so that instead of taking 5/11/surfliner from Nebraska to IRV, we are flying down and taking surfliner/14/6 to return home. (My only regret here is that we won't get to spend as much time in Sacramento, but at least we'll not detour through Wyoming... I'll hopefully do that some other time when I'm travelling solo.)

Anyway, enough rambling. My question is, I look at my new tickets that were issued and I see that on 6 I am listed as in car 0633. I tried to look through some threads here to see where exactly that is in the consist, but I got some mixed messages. So does anyone know for sure, where is car 0633?

I think 0633 will be on the end of the consist and would be an extra, extra (4th) sleeper.

From - http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/32610-line-numbersconsist-listings/

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage

0540|0640 —— Superliner Dorm/Sleeper

0510|0610 —— Superliner Coach *

0511|0611 —— Superliner Coach

0512|0612 —— Superliner Coach (seasonal)

----|---- —— Superliner Lounge

----|---- —— Superliner Diner

0531|0631 —— Superliner Sleeper

0532|0632 —— Superliner Sleeper

0530|0630 —— Superliner Sleeper (seasonal CHI-DEN)

0533|0633

* One of the coaches is often a coach baggage car.

Wow, four sleepers? That's a long walk to the diner, but less foot traffic and the railfan window would be nice.

Edit: my phone autocorrected "railfan" to "Taliban". That's a whole different window.

Wow, four sleepers? That's a long walk to the diner, but less foot traffic and the railfan window would be nice.

Edit: my phone autocorrected "railfan" to "Taliban". That's a whole different window.
You have no idea how hard I laughed at this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back