Any good Amtrak-related literature?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NY Penn

OBS Chief
Can anyone recommend some good books, magazines, etc related to Amtrak?

I know Trains magazine already... anything else?

Any help will be appreciated.
hi.gif

I know it isn't popular on these forums but End of the Line: The Failure of Amtrak Reform and the Future of America's Passenger Trains by Joseph Vranich is an interesting read.

Here is a bunch of books about Amtrak seen from all angles, including the Vranich book referred to above and two other earlier books from him .....

Amtrak: An American Story by The staff of Amtrak (Jun 7, 2011)

Amtrak (MBI Railroad Color History) by Brian Solomon (Dec 25, 2004)

Waiting on a Train: The Embattled Future of Passenger Rail Service--A Year Spent Riding across America by James McCommons and James Kunstler (Nov 6, 2009)

Amtrak Trains & Travel by Patrick C. Dorin (Jul 1979)

End of the Line: The Failure of Amtrak Reform and the Future of America's Passenger Trains by Joseph Vranich (Dec 1, 2004)

Derailed: What Went Wrong and What to Do About America's Passenger Trains by Joseph Vranich (Oct 15, 1997)

Supertrains: Solutions to America's Transportation Gridlock by Joseph Vranich (Aug 1993)

Amtrak in the Heartland (Railroads Past and Present) by Craig Sanders (May 11, 2006)

American Passenger Trains: WWII to Amtrak by Patrick C. Dorin (May 15, 2009)

The Amtrak Story by Frank N. Wilner (Jun 1994)

Uncle Sam's Private Profitseeking Corporations: Comsat, Fannie Mae, Amtrak, and Conrail by Lloyd D. Musolf (1983)

Journey to Amtrak: The Year History Rode the Passenger Train by Harold A. Edmonson (Jan 2000)

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted this about a week ago on another thread - the author is a forum member:

"Thanks for a great read! Anyone who likes Amtrak trains and has not read that book, it is highly recommended.

Edit: "Zephyr: Tracking a Dream Across America", by Henry Kisor

Random House, 1994 "

Another Edit - after posting this, I went to the library and got the book out again, and I am about 3/4 of the way through it. What a great book - he's a very good writer, a real pro - and gives some interesting facts about how Amtrak was in the 90's that I didn't know (or had forgotten).

Thanks again, Mr. Kisor!

As a different kind of book than has been posted, I used the Bradt Guide, USA by Rail , regularly. It details the route of each train with info about something interesting in each town along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back