Any News on Miami Airport?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you very much, I've got that now. Transferring trains at Hollywood couldn't be easier and arriving directly at the airport with either the car rental area or the light rail to the terminal is simplicity itself. Been pretty impressed with different Florida public transport systems in the last few years, good way to invest in the future.
What are the TriRail schedules like at the time the Meteor and the Star come in? When we rode to Miami, the train was running an hour late, and the platform at Hollywood looked pretty dark and lonely. I don't think I'd like to wait there for a long time.
Also, how are TriRail cars with respect to handling luggage? Are there luggage racks, will the conductor help you haul your bag up from the low platform?
Tri-Rail is designed for low level boarding. There is maybe a 3 or 4 inch step up (really not that much), and is like nothing compared to stepping down from the Amfleets or Viewliners. There are quite a few passengers that use Tri-Rail to go to the 3 south Florida airports...they actually probably make up the majority of off-peak travelers. There are luggage racks on the lower levels of all coaches, unless the coach is the "bike car" which is typically the southernmost coach (first coach after the locomotive).

Assuming you're arriving on a weekday, and the Silvers are somewhat close to on-time, they arrive in Hollywood when rush hour service is winding down. You shouldn't have to wait more than 30 minutes for the next train. Note that the last SB Tri-Rail departs Hollywood at 10:01 pm. Weekend service is every hour, but there is a gap between the 8:11 pm train and the last train of the night at 10:21 pm.

I'd say someone getting off in Hollywod shouldn't be too concerned (Opa-Locka may be a different story). It is a staffed Amtrak station, and there are typically Tri-Rail security guards present at all the stations. You could also get off in West Palm Beach. If the Silvers are late, at least youre more likely to do the change over in daylight than vs Hollywood. Even with all the extra stops, the scheduled run time isnt much longer. Just note that you will likely have to change platforms at West Palm Beach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back