Any Norfolk Southern traffic between Baltimore & Washington on the

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edjbox

Service Attendant
Anyone know if Norfolk Southern uses the portion of the NEC between the Washington DC area and Baltimore??? I know that NS uses the Port Road Branch to access Baltimore from the north via the NEC, but any traffic comes to Baltimore from the south via trackage rights on Amtrak??

Yes plenty. 24M a inter model uses the NEC daily. Coal trains use the line daily. 64R, 65R, 64X, 65X, and a few more use the line between Perryville and Newark, DE. Their is plenty of NS traffic to go around.

No I meant specifically between Baltimore and Washington, is there any traffic there? Also, do Norfolk Southern trains ever use the 14th street bridge to come from its Alexandria VA yard toward Washington DC??

I've never seen it anything NS come across the river and I can see the L'Enfant VRE station out my office window!

Best I know, they never went north of Slaters Lane in the NS era. Even that is over now that the power plant and Robinson Terminal are done. As of yesterday (possibly longer), there's been one garbage flat with containers and one sans containers tied up on that spur so I think CSX is using it to store a bad ordered car.

The NS system map says it does have trackage rights across the Potomac River into and past Washington on the NEC to Baltimore, just wondering how often NS actually uses that portion of the line

I don't have the view of the tracks that ALX Nick has, but I've only seen CSX. VRE & Amtrak crossing Long Bridge since moving to ALX 5 years ago.

There's a small industrial spur off the NEC just north of MD 193, between the Seabrook and Bowie State MARC stations that I believe NS services from the north.

While they may have track rights all the way down, I don't think they have any reason to use them with any frequency...

For a few years, I had an apartment with a great view of the Slaters Lane defect detector. Not that I spent 100 percent of the time looking out the window, but I saw exactly one time anything NS went North. About 18 months ago, a light CSX movement came from the north and an hour or so later went back north with a lone NS unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back