Any surplus Amfleet cars in storage? (excluding wrecks) + how many ext

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edjbox

Service Attendant
Just wondering if there are any surplus amfleet cars being stored in places like Bear, DE? Also in a typical day overall after all of the consists of every train are made up, how many extra Amfleet cars are there, in case of extra passengers/trains or if several cars have mechanical issues?

(Simple condensed version- how many Amfleet cars are being used each day for service vs. how many are on the overall active roster)

I know they can field extra cars for charters. And I know I've seen twenty one time on two different excursions on the same day.

From my understanding. Bear has been turning out overhauls at a much better rate then Beech Grove. I think part of it has to do with the fact that Bear works exclusively on rolling stock while Beech Grove has a wider range of rolling stock and locomotives to overhaul. I could be wrong.

I know they can field extra cars for charters. And I know I've seen twenty one time on two different excursions on the same day.
Suffice it to say that on the weekend that they fielded a bunch of cars for the Autumn Excursion last year, several NE Regional schedules were protected by Acela consists due to shortage of Amfleets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back