Any travel tips for 1st time passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Robert Jones

A friend and I are booked on a trip from Tampa to Washington DC then on to Chicago and Seattle. We have roomette to DC and Bedroom the rest of the way. "Deluxe" I guess. It has a shower. Looking forward to the E. Builder. We go in November. I wish it were tomorrow.

Any tips from experienced Amtrak buffs would be very much appreciated.

Thanks! Bob in Fort Myers, Florida.

Make sure to take advantage of ClubAcela in Washington and the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago between trains. Don't be afraid to explore each city between trains, but keep an eye on your watch so you don't miss your train. Check out OTOL's Tips. They cover the bases pretty well. Enjoy!

Expect nothing. That way, you won't be disappointed. ;)

Seriously, bear in mind the cardinal rule of Amtrak travel: Do not worry about where you Are, or how long it will take you to get There. You will get There Eventually. Freights may delay you, HEP may fail you, but Amtrak will get you There Eventually.

Be patient. Enjoy the scenery. If there is a full diner on the train you're on, eat there. You mentioned you were taking a sleeper, so the meals are included. Relax as much as you can.

Have a good trip!

Couldn't have set it better myself Sam. Also, Amtrak guarantees all your connections. If you should miss your train due to lateness they will accomodate you somehow. The one thing I've seen over the years is the crews and station people respond much better to calm collected people than they do to people that are upset at circumstances that employee can't control.

Excellent advice from all. It took me years, but I learned to mellow out. I'm not worried about schedules. Everybodys gotta be somewhere..and wherever we are, it's fine with me. The place I won't be is at work..so we're cool from that point forward. I'll be sure to check out the lounges in Washington and Chicago. We do lounges well.

Again, thanks for your comments! Bob in Fort Myers, Florida

Just be prepared to be late. Also, talk to people. I'm very shy, but it's fun to talk to people on the train. There are a lot of interesting people. I took my first two trips earlier this year and enjoyed them both.

Back