Any way to board train 50 on NEC?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a way around the system to book a northbound ticket on the Cardinal (#50) from WAS or BAL to NYP? I will already be onboard in a roomette (from CHI) but a guest wants to join me in Baltimore. Agent on phone would not allow it, even given the circumstances.

Even if there was a way around it, it would not be allowed as all stops after beginning with Alexandria VA are discharge stops only, therefore there is no boarding on any of those stops. The train is only at those stations long enough for the passengers to get off and not long enough for people to get on.

Edited to correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Double Wrong.

50 goes discharge only after MSS.

There's an engine change at Washington. Have him book a ticket MSS-NYP and board at WAS.

Edit: If your friend cares about getting AGR points for the run, that may not work, as the conductor won't be going around lifting tickets after MSS. But, if all you want to do is ride, there's no problem at all - you'll probably have to call him when you get to WAS and let him know what track to go down to. It may be a little easier if you go upstairs as soon as the train pulls in, and then both of you go back down.

Double Wrong.
50 goes discharge only after MSS.

There's an engine change at Washington. Have him book a ticket MSS-NYP and board at WAS.

Edit: If your friend cares about getting AGR points for the run, that may not work, as the conductor won't be going around lifting tickets after MSS. But, if all you want to do is ride, there's no problem at all - you'll probably have to call him when you get to WAS and let him know what track to go down to. It may be a little easier if you go upstairs as soon as the train pulls in, and then both of you go back down.
Thanks, I corrected my post to reflect the Discharge at Alexandria, I thought it was WAS that was the first one. The only reason I also said that they could not board is because the stops are discharge only they are not at the platform long. Yes they do an engine change, but do they do it AT the boarding platform?

Yes.

BAL would even maybe be doable, but it's far more risky. You'd have to know in advance what platform to be on (not easy) and still run the risk of the train not stopping if nobody is scheduled to get off there.

Another problem that needs to be taken into account is whether the train is running early, late or on time. If running late, the chance of getting on are less likely as they open the doors, let people off and close the doors. If early, how would you know when to be there even if they do have the arrival time posted?

They don't close the doors during the engine change.

The timing can be worked out because you know someone on the train and can communicate with them.

If the train is early, he'll need to be there early, because the train WILL leave as soon as its station work (debark passengers and engine change) is completely.

I guess in the interest of full disclosure, it's remotely possible that they'll send 50 through with the P42, but the train still has to stop for a few minutes and let people off and if you're standing there on the platform you can get on.

Worst case, you don't get to take the trip and get a refund.

isn't it easier to have the friend board the train at MSS? if he/she is in the DC area, the drive to MSS shouldn't be that bad... just leave early and avoid the westbound rush hour on I-66. (or just take the VRE from Union Station to MSS?)

Stupid question, but if the conductors don't lift any tickets after MSS, what's there to prevent someone from simply hopping

on the train and riding up the corridor for free? (I'm NOT suggesting the OP's friend do this, as it's certainly unethical and

probably violates some federal law) I'm just saying that if someone can make their way to the platform at WAS and mingle

with other passengers having a smoke break, couldn't they simply hop on, then hang out in the lounge car where the absence

of a seat check would not be noticed? It would take a real eagle-eye conductor to spot the interloper, wouldn't it?

isn't it easier to have the friend board the train at MSS? if he/she is in the DC area, the drive to MSS shouldn't be that bad... just leave early and avoid the westbound rush hour on I-66. (or just take the VRE from Union Station to MSS?)
The OP makes it sound as if his friend is actually in Baltimore. Driving from Baltimore to MSS could easily turn into a 90+ minute drive, which would then have to be repeated on the return. Taking VRE wouldn't work if this is a Sunday, and if it's a Wed/Fri departure from MSS, the friend would have to board a VRE train in WAS at 1:15 p.m, then sit in MSS for more than two hours waiting for the Cardinal. So, not real optimal compared to simply boarding the Cardinal in WAS or BAL.

Riding MARC (if it isnt on a Sunday!) to Alexandria is the Best way to go here, its perfectly Legal and you wont have the Hassle of possibly being denied Platform Access when the Gate ***** wont let you through to Board the Card! Cell phones come in really handy here for Co-ordination and checking on OTP of the Mostly Late Cardinal! The OP can add the Friend to the Roomette as an "Open" Sleeper Ticket!

MARC doesn't run to ALX (you could do MARC+WMATA).

That said, ALX may be a better shot, since you can certainly be on the platform. Again though, the risk of a train not stopping is there, and then you'd be hosed.

Riding MARC (if it isnt on a Sunday!) to Alexandria is the Best way to go here, its perfectly Legal and you wont have the Hassle of possibly being denied Platform Access when the Gate ***** wont let you through to Board the Card! Cell phones come in really handy here for Co-ordination and checking on OTP of the Mostly Late Cardinal! The OP can add the Friend to the Roomette as an "Open" Sleeper Ticket!
I agree that Alexandria is the safest bet for hopping onboard. From Baltimore, take the MARC, then a short ride on the Metro to get Amtrak Alexandria station. However.... what if nobody is getting off the train at Alexandria.

On my most recent trip into DC, the train simply slowed down a bit, but did NOT stop at Alexandria at all. I assume that was because nobody had a ticket with Alexandria as the final destination. (also because it was already an hour late and they probably wanted to make it up)

During the engine change in WAS, are continuing passengers allowed to go into the station?

I've never left the track area or bothered to pay attention when passing through.

As noted, MARC does not run to Alexandria. Yes, if the OP is traveling on a Wednesday or Friday Cardinal #50, his friend could conceivably take MARC to DC, then DC Metro with a connection at Gallery Place (Red Line to Yellow Line) to King Street ($4.70 with a paper ticket), walk under the bridge and up to the Amtrak/VRE station platform. Then could possibly watch #50 go through w/o stopping or be denied boarding by the Conductor because it is a dropoff only stop. Really awkward and would take 90+ minutes to get from BAL to Alexandria.

Another consideration is this is the eastbound Cardinal which has been having a bad summer (again). Odds are good that #50 will be running 1,2,3 hours late. That is a long time to spend waiting for a train that he might not be able to get on. I would advise against the whole idea of trying to get on #50.

During the engine change in WAS, are continuing passengers allowed to go into the station?
I've never left the track area or bothered to pay attention when passing through.
I was able to go into the station and pick up a box of overpriced sushi to go. Made it back in time. In fact, I finished the sushi even before the train started rolling northbound again.

I was able to go into the station and pick up a box of overpriced sushi to go. Made it back in time. In fact, I finished the sushi even before the train started rolling northbound again.
Dont ever eat Sushi when you cant see the Ocean the Fish came from! Old Proverb! (and Everything from Washington North is Overpriced, they must think they are California! :giggle: )

I would think WAS is the best best what with the long station stop for swapping out the engine, taking off checked bags, and other detraining pax. Good luck! Book the train from Manassas.

Sure. But it's not recommended as once detraining, baggage work, and engine change is complete and CETC gives the go ahead or K Tower, shes gone and not coming back. I would suggest doing it going south.

Just curious how they would handle it with the gates/doors. I assume they just assign a person to stand there and check tickets of passengers passing back through? So the checker in this case would just see a ticket that says MSS-NYP and assume the passenger was already on the train before WAS.

Sure. But it's not recommended as once detraining, baggage work, and engine change is complete and CETC gives the go ahead or K Tower, shes gone and not coming back. I would suggest doing it going south.

Yeah agreed. I don't have any need to go into the station when passing, just curious how they would handle it with the gates/doors. I assume they just assign a person to stand there and check tickets of passengers passing back through? So the checker in this case would just see a ticket that says MSS-NYP and assume the passenger was already on the train before WAS.

On a normal basis no one will man the gate on a discharging train. It's not as they are usually boarding pax there. But should someone be there and show a MSS-NYP ticket I would guess that the person walked up and got something to eat or drink and wants to go back to their train. That's my view.

On a normal basis no one will man the gate on a discharging train. It's not as they are usually boarding pax there. But should someone be there and show a MSS-NYP ticket I would guess that the person walked up and got something to eat or drink and wants to go back to their train. That's my view.
But if the passenger did not board in MSS and the eticket was not scanned, the reservation might be canceled by the time the train gets to WAS. Not that there would be anything gained by canceling the reservation because the seat is not going to be resold on the rest of the trip to NYP, but the software may do that automatically.

MARC doesn't run to ALX (you could do MARC+WMATA).
That said, ALX may be a better shot, since you can certainly be on the platform. Again though, the risk of a train not stopping is there, and then you'd be hosed.
I knew that Ryan, sorry it's been awhile since I used to be a Regular in the DC Area! I shoulda said MARC and WMATA as you said!

But if the passenger did not board in MSS and the eticket was not scanned, the reservation might be canceled by the time the train gets to WAS. Not that there would be anything gained by canceling the reservation because the seat is not going to be resold on the rest of the trip to NYP, but the software may do that automatically.
While true, I'm not sure if that matters. Any door guard in the station isn't going to have a scanner, and once you're on the train you're good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back