anyone know what the consists are for the auto train ?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtrakrider

Train Attendant
I have a question

does anyone know what the consists are for the auto train that run from Lorton, VA to Sanford, FL, cause I found one which is part of a download that includes other Amtrak services that use the superliner cars, but when I go to play it on train simulator its like the length of 1 1/2 football fields which I dont think is right but I am not sure so can anyone help me figure it out cause I am totally confused on it .

Thanks,

John C.

The normal/average consist is 2 engines, 1 trans/dorm, 3 sleepers, 1 AT lounge car (not a sightseer), 1 diner, 2 sleepers, 2 coaches, 1 AT lounge, 1 diner, 2 coaches, and a bunch of auto racks.

During peak times a 6th sleeper can be added, as well as a 2 to 4 more coaches and even an extra diner and lounge for the coach section of the train.

The Auto Train does have one or two Sightseer lounges assigned to the pool, but they are the backup cars used when one of the special Auto Train lounge cars is bad ordered or out for PM work and inspections.

The normal/average consist is 2 engines, 1 trans/dorm, 3 sleepers, 1 AT lounge car (not a sightseer), 1 diner, 2 sleepers, 2 coaches, 1 AT lounge, 1 diner, 2 coaches, and a bunch of auto racks.
During peak times a 6th sleeper can be added, as well as a 2 to 4 more coaches and even an extra diner and lounge for the coach section of the train.

The Auto Train does have one or two Sightseer lounges assigned to the pool, but they are the backup cars used when one of the special Auto Train lounge cars is bad ordered or out for PM work and inspections.
oh okay cool thanks cause on the train-sim.com site theres a download called usa superliner consists + numbers and in one of them is the auto train and it looks like it does not match what you just said so i will have to fix that thanks

I didn't try to ID them by sleeper/diner/coach, etc, but a YouTube video from October 06 showed 2 engines, 16 superliners cars and 19 car-carriers. They ARE long trains.
Longest passenger train in this country. There's even a sign at the Lorton terminal that mentions the fact that the AT is typically about 3/4 of a mile long with the car carriers tacked on the back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't try to ID them by sleeper/diner/coach, etc, but a YouTube video from October 06 showed 2 engines, 16 superliners cars and 19 car-carriers. They ARE long trains.
Longest passenger train in this country. There's even a sign at the Lorton terminal that mentions the fact that the AT is typically about 3/4 of a mile long with the car carriers tacked on the back.
oh really wow well i should plan a trip to go on the auto train some day and check it out then and when i get on my msts editor i will check out what cars are in the consist and find out if they are correct or not and thanks again alanb, and amtrakwpk for the info

oh really wow well i should plan a trip to go on the auto train some day and check it out then and when i get on my msts editor i will check out what cars are in the consist and find out if they are correct or not and thanks again alanb, and amtrakwpk for the info
here is what i got in the download that i had mentioned earlier the consist for the auto train in the download is :

2 - p42dc's

3 - superliner deluxe sleeper car's

1 - superliner sleeper car

1 - superliner cafe car

1 - superliner diner car

3 - superliner sleeper car's

4 - superliner coach car's

2 - superliner diner car's

15 - auto train rack car's

and comparing this to what alanb told me i can see that the downloaded version must be incorrect and now with the correct info i can fix it once again thanks alanb for the consist info for the auto train

Well all that's clearly missing is the lounge car for coach pax and the trans/dorm. The coach second diner comes and goes depending on demmand, as do one or two of the sleepers that you've got listed. And of course more coaches are added upon demmand.

In my experience the Deluxe sleepers are usually split on either side of the cafe/diner, not all together.

Finally 15 auto racks seems a bit light IMHO. I've never actually stopped to count them, but Amtrak ordered 80 new racks. If they only plan to run 30 at a time (15 north/15 south), then that would be a bit of a waste IMHO. I'd guess that they normally run with at least 20 to 25 and possibly even more. During peak times I'd guess that they run even more than that.

Well all that's clearly missing is the lounge car for coach pax and the trans/dorm. The coach second diner comes and goes depending on demmand, as do one or two of the sleepers that you've got listed. And of course more coaches are added upon demmand.
In my experience the Deluxe sleepers are usually split on either side of the cafe/diner, not all together.

Finally 15 auto racks seems a bit light IMHO. I've never actually stopped to count them, but Amtrak ordered 80 new racks. If they only plan to run 30 at a time (15 north/15 south), then that would be a bit of a waste IMHO. I'd guess that they normally run with at least 20 to 25 and possibly even more. During peak times I'd guess that they run even more than that.
yeah amtrakwpk said that they use 19 auto train racks but on the download i got it only had 15 unless i missed counted but i just wasnt sure i mean i have been looking to take that train but never really saw what the train looks like i have even heard that they might add more service on the auto train like having it run up to boston some place and use the amfleet cars but this was a few years ago that i heard of this just not sure what the out come was or if it was even going to happen so but the info you have givin me alan is great i rebuilt the consist and it look great

On that particular day it had 19 auto racks. I would expect that to vary day to day depending on the total number of pax and the total number of vehicles and the mix of vehicles (how many compact cars, how many minivans, how many SUVs, how many pickups, how many motorcycles, or whatever). And maybe on one particular day more pax were single or two persons per vehicle vs three or four per vehicle. So I don't know how much that consist varies from day to day or from season to season.

On that particular day it had 19 auto racks. I would expect that to vary day to day depending on the total number of pax and the total number of vehicles and the mix of vehicles (how many compact cars, how many minivans, how many SUVs, how many pickups, how many motorcycles, or whatever). And maybe on one particular day more pax were single or two persons per vehicle vs three or four per vehicle. So I don't know how much that consist varies from day to day or from season to season.
Approximately how many vehicles does one auto rack car hold? Just curious.

Approximately how many vehicles does one auto rack car hold? Just curious.

okay cool and the other question i am not sure about i do know that they have a limited number of spaces in one car rack but the total number i am not sure about

Back