App question for settings

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolina2001

Train Attendant
I have a trip on silver star in July. I was trying to turn on the train and trip status option in the settings on the app. That option is not working. It is gray. Will that be something that will start working closer to my trip?

If that option doesn’t work then what is the best way to know Status of train? If it’s running late I rather wait at home than station since it’s a middle of night departure

For checking train status there's a link at the bottom of the page - a clock and the word Status. You can search by city pairs or by specific train number.

I just looked at settings. I didn't realize there was a setting "Trip Updates & Status". Mine is set to On and my next trip isn't for over 2 weeks.

Fixed the problem. I turned notifications allowed on my phone this morning. However I also had to turn my phone off and back on. Now the status and update on the Amtrak app is clicked to on

I think a better option is Track Your Train on the web. It gives the full history of the run, with the amount of time late for each station along the way. It seems that Amtrak optimistically assumes they'll make up lost time at an unreasonable pace, so Status may show your train arriving on time at your station when it's already an hour or more late upstream. By looking at the entire run, you can make your own judgement of the earliest it's likely to arrive.

It works on phone browsers, but I've had to view it in landscape to get the search bar, and then rotate to portrait to view the run details.

Back