April travel??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sutton8596

Service Attendant
Hi guys,

A friend of mine is going to try Amtrak either in the fall or spring, trying two or three LD routes. I can't advise him as to time of year since I've only traveled summer.

Seems to me that the fall would have the autumn colors. One of the travel books mentioned April as being nice throughout the south.

What's your experience for April travel? I imagine it to be a wet, gray yucky time to travel.

Thanks!

Scott

Only the begining of April seems to be dismal up north and a bit wet in the south. The end of the month is nice, except the Silver Service trains are usually sold out with vacationers. I would actually travel in the fall, toward the end of September, begining of October. It is not a big travel time, nice weather, and some tree color.

Take this from somebody who lives in Atlanta. This last April and early May was a bad time in the southern states. think: tornadoes, floods, drenching rains..........of course it is not always this bad.....flowers are starting to bloom, it CAN be beautiful . But I agree with Amfleet about the fall being better( of course you want hurricane season to be over but it usually would be by September.)

One thing you have to keep in mind about a long distance train.....the weather may be lovely where you are or at one end of the line but not somewhere else.. .say the train from NYC to New Orleans....there could floods at the far southern tip. At other times of the year there could be blizzards at the northern tip...and each one would have a bearing on the other.

True, true. Thanks guys. I'll probably advise my friend to go in the fall. I want to do the same thing, but in another two years. I sure hope the North American pass is still available (not to mention the trains) at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back